• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Half Time

• Thread starter SaintsFan_Webby
  • Start date
S

SaintsFan_Webby

So we're half way through the Guiness Premiership season, and no doubt everyone has their view on not only their own team, but everyone else.

What are the general thoughts about the season so far? Which teams and players have impressed, or mabye suprised you with their performance?

Team of the season for me so far have to be Sale. No longer a team struggling along in mid-table, they now look a formidable force. Lots of strength in depth, and stand out players in the likes of Charlie Hodgson, Sebastien Chebal and Mark Cueto. My prediction to take the ***le at the end of the season.

However, the ever threatening Wasps and Leicester will always be in the mix at the end of the season. Both have the habit of winning ugly when it matters.

London Irish have been a big suprise this season. Glad I predicted them to go down
<
Very solid this season, some exciting players such as Delon Armitage and Rikki Flutey, and a new found winning mentality.

Gloucester and Worcester are also going well, Kingsholm and Sixways proving very difficult places for teams to go and pick up points.

Bristol have given a good account of themselves so far, always nice to see a newly promoted team competing, and not getting stuffed every week (Rotherham anyone?).

As for my team, Northampton, extremely disappointing so far. One of the best backlines in the league on paper, with Spencer surrounded with international class in the likes of Reihana, Cohen and Lamont. Hoping for a better 2006 than the previous year, with Premiership survival guaranteed before the last match of the season this time around.

Surprise packages so far? I've picked out a few...

Jon Clarke (Northampton Saints) - An England U21 international, shown glimpses of brilliance in the past, but floundering slightly between centre and wing, while dogged by injury problems. A move to 13 has seen him become a stand out player, and if he remains consistant could well challenge for full England honours in the future.

Tom Rees (London Wasps) - Bags of pace, power and aggression, all you want in a modern back-row player. Could well challenge for the England 6 or 7 shirt at the next World Cup, one to watch.

Shaun Perry (Bristol) - Unknown to me before this season, has impressed with slick passing, a great eye for the gap, and the ability to marshall his forwards. With Harry Ellis injured, could his England debut come sooner than expected?

Tom Varndell (Leicester Tigers) - Brings the flair of 7s to the 15 man game. Frightening pace, already a great prospect.

Thoughts?

ive been impressed with sale - they do look formidable -
ive also enjoyed watching bristol and bath this year - and delve looks to be our replacement for ryan jones - imense ball carrier

Shame that everywhere Bristol go, there's always a copule of so-called "fans" who follow them around and are complete arseholes. The club's going to get a bad rep soon if their not lucky.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 2 2006, 07:41 AM
delve looks to be our replacement for ryan jones - imense ball carrier
Wales have got competition there - Delve played for Wales against the Barbarians in a non-cap game, and as he has been with Bath for over 4 years, he is eligible to play for England!

Originally posted by robbinho+Jan 2 2006, 02:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (robbinho @ Jan 2 2006, 02:48 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine
@Jan 2 2006, 07:41 AM
delve looks to be our replacement for ryan jones - imense ball carrier
Wales have got competition there - Delve played for Wales against the Barbarians in a non-cap game, and as he has been with Bath for over 4 years, he is eligible to play for England! [/b]
He was in Guscott's young GP players team aswell. If Wales don't cap him this 6N, then I have a feeling he will be by England on the Summer Tour. He has said on record that he wants to be part of the Wales team now, and that he doesn't want to be a shock call-up for the RWC in 2 years time. Ruddock is no mug though, and he already made enquires about him in the Autumn. I expect him to have a part in the 6N.

<
Which would be great for Bath, another player on duty.

Pos Team Pld W D L F A TF TA TB LB Pts
1 Sale Sharks 11 9 0 2 265 176 24 15 2 1 39
2 London Wasps 11 8 1 2 295 211 31 16 4 1 39
3 Leicester Tigers 11 6 2 3 269 195 26 13 3 1 32
4 Gloucester Rugby 11 6 1 4 253 201 24 17 2 3 31
5 London Irish 11 6 0 5 218 239 19 23 2 2 28
6 Worcester Warriors 11 6 1 4 209 231 17 22 0 1 27
7 Saracens 11 4 1 6 245 240 23 22 3 3 24
8 Bristol Rugby 11 5 0 6 199 215 13 18 0 3 23
9 Newcastle Falcons 11 4 1 6 196 211 18 20 0 4 22
10 Bath Rugby 11 3 1 7 198 239 12 20 1 2 17
11 Northampton Saints 11 3 0 8 199 263 19 24 0 5 17
12 Leeds Tykes 11 2 0 9 163 288 13 29 0 3 11

The table so far. Quite tight, going to be an interesting next 11 games.

“It would be great to be part of the 2007 World Cup with Wales, but I don’t want to be a shock late inclusion. I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I want to be involved before then.â€

hes a welsh lad through and through and mike ruddock will cap him at sum point this 6 nations that im in no doubt off.

Latest posts