• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hamish Watson Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship

Well deserved yes.

Should have nothing to do with Lions selection though.

Well deserved yes.

Should have nothing to do with Lions selection though.
Well, whether it does or it doesn't I'd definitely be selecting him either way. Wouldn't necessarily make him a test starter... maybe I would depending on how things go in camp and the warm ups buts a real position of strength that's for sure.

Congrats to Hamish.

Last edited:
He had put in some great performances for a while now so well deserved. However he is Scottish so no lions place for him.

Said it before I don't see how you can fit him in, with a limited squad number?
(And I've been on the Watson train since the beginning).

Realistically there will be what around 5 back row players with a couple of locks that can cover 6.
With Curry who can play across the back row at International level will Gatland really pick Watson above Tipuric?

Realistically there will be what around 5 back row players with a couple of locks that can cover 6.
With Curry who can play across the back row at International level will Gatland really pick Watson above Tipuric?

I think it's very hard to gauge how much Garland actually rates Tipuric based on previous selections.

I think it's very hard to gauge how much Garland actually rates Tipuric based on previous selections.
This. He didn't rate him highly enough to shift Warburton to 6 and accommodate him like he did with SOB and Warburton in New Zealand (eventually). Watson seems a lot more like Gatland's kind of player to me.

20 forwards right? Assuming 9 of them are front row that leaves 11 for the back 5.

Given that a lot of the potential best options at 6 involve someone who doesn't play there regularly (Beirne, Curry, Stander) I can see there being room for three 7s, and even if there isn't I can see Gatland taking Watson over Tips. That said, I can see Navidi going too, Gatland likes him and he plays all 3 backrow positions which is a huge asset on tour.

20 forwards right? Assuming 9 of them are front row that leaves 11 for the back 5.

Given that a lot of the potential best options at 6 involve someone who doesn't play there regularly (Beirne, Curry, Stander) I can see there being room for three 7s, and even if there isn't I can see Gatland taking Watson over Tips. That said, I can see Navidi going too, Gatland likes him and he plays all 3 backrow positions which is a huge asset on tour.
Im trying to guess who those 11 might be based on form and ability
Locks
Ryan, Henderson, Awj, Itoje, Kruis
Back Row
Byrne, Curry, Faleteau, Watson, Stander, Tips Navidi or Underhill
Seems a bit light on ball carriers but cant make a case for binny or even the likes of barberry or a dombrandt

I don't expect him to go but Gatland is a big fan of Wainwright, or at least, he talked him up a lot when he first came on the international scene. I reckon Navidi will definitely get selcted to go on tour and wouldn't be surprised if he starts him but I think he's more likely to start with Itoje or Beirne at 6. As I've said before I'll be amazed if Tipuric starts. He'll be there as a bench option to bring on in case of emergency.

I don't expect him to go but Gatland is a big fan of Wainwright, or at least, he talked him up a lot when he first came on the international scene. I reckon Navidi will definitely get selcted to go on tour and wouldn't be surprised if he starts him but I think he's more likely to start with Itoje or Beirne at 6. As I've said before I'll be amazed if Tipuric starts. He'll be there as a bench option to bring on in case of emergency.
Wainwright hasn't really shown much since he first came on the scene though (and even when he did he didn't really stand out.)

Wainwright hasn't really shown much since he first came on the scene though (and even when he did he didn't really stand out.)

Yeah, maybe a bit harsh but a fair enough assessment. Just saying Gatland really rates him so you never know. Think it's safe to say Wainwright would be an unexpected pick but if we're talking players he likes (and I agree with the general idea that Tips doesn't fit that idea perfectly for Gats) so thought I'd mention one that it would seem does.

Gotta be Beirne at 6 for me, or I'm 'revolting' (pick and choose as to the context you deem appropriate).

Yeah same. Would be more than happy to see him start in the 2nd row as well though
I know what you mean, as long as he's in the team basically. I watched a lot of him at Scarlets... and this year he finally looks to be consistently affecting games for Ireland in much the same way as he used to in west Wales. It might just be me but at Scarlets he seemed to make 'more' game-changing contributions in the back row than he did at lock. Still, either way he has to start.

The Watson v Curry media rants have been something.
I'd have them both, I think Curry is now a complete blindside actually, no issue with them both playing at all. Beirne had a great six nations, but I actually think Curry was exceptional too, and has more track record

I think Curry is now a complete blindside actually,
....eh?
He's still an openside even if he's got 6 on his back half the time

It is weird seeing a bunch of people saying Curry shouldn't even tour now

Latest posts