• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hamish Watson Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship

....eh?
He's still an openside even if he's got 6 on his back half the time

It is weird seeing a bunch of people saying Curry shouldn't even tour now
I just think he performs all the blindside roles so well..
Lineout option
Clearout Rucks (someone shared a stat where he disrupted the highest % of defensive rucks by a country mile this tournament)
Dynamic Carrier (this has really developed)
Big Tackller (Again, seems to have come on, very very forceful on the gain line)

Add to this his bonus of Speed, and ability in the Jackal, he's the complete Flanker pretty much, whether you wanna play him at 6 or 7

Curry can play 6.
BUT against a big bok pack I feel that teams always benefit from having that more bigger blindside.

England v South Africa in the final went with 2 6ft 1 Flankers, Underhill and Curry and they were the dominant flanker pairing (PSTD was the best flanker but as a combo Undercurry IMO has a better competition) and England for the first time in a while looked massively underpowered, and I would consider Watson smaller than Underhill and Curry.

I'd have them both, I think Curry is now a complete blindside actually, no issue with them both playing at all. Beirne had a great six nations, but I actually think Curry was exceptional too, and has more track record
I rate Curry highly but Beirne at 6 is an absolute game changer. Prior to the 6N I would've had Curry as the outstanding 7... currently I'd struggle to select a 7 out of Curry, Watson and Tipuric.

Curry can play 6.
BUT against a big bok pack I feel that teams always benefit from having that more bigger blindside.

England v South Africa in the final went with 2 6ft 1 Flankers, Underhill and Curry and they were the dominant flanker pairing (PSTD was the best flanker but as a combo Undercurry IMO has a better competition) and England for the first time in a while looked massively underpowered, and I would consider Watson smaller than Underhill and Curry.
I agree with all of this but... who is there? I'd say Beirne is the only 'big' flanker who's in good enough form to justify a Lions spot but even he isn't a particularly physical back rower.

I agree with all of this but... who is there? I'd say Beirne is the only 'big' flanker who's in good enough form to justify a Lions spot but even he isn't a particularly physical back rower.

Honestly I would bite the bullet and put either Henderson or Stander at blindside with Faletau at 8 after Bernie.

Honestly I would bite the bullet and put either Henderson or Stander at blindside with Faletau at 8 after Bernie.

6. Stander/Beirne
7. Curry
8. Faletau

20. Beirne/Stander

If we go 6/2 bench then Navidi at 21

The best dedicated 6 in the 6N this year was probably Ritchie. I know he's not a popular figure around these parts but he has really come on as a player.

Still, enough options that he probably won't tour.

Can easily see Gatland picking the following: Faletau, Stander, Watson, Tupuric, Curry, Navidi + Beirne who'd presumably go as a lock/backrow hybrid.

Would be harsh on Underhill and it's hard to know how highly Gatland rates Tipuric but I'd be surprised to see anything drastically different from that. Covers all the bases and plenty of options for all three positions.

The best dedicated 6 in the 6N this year was probably Ritchie. I know he's not a popular figure around these parts but he has really come on as a player.

Still, enough options that he probably won't tour.

Can easily see Gatland picking the following: Faletau, Stander, Watson, Tupuric, Curry, Navidi + Beirne who'd presumably go as a lock/backrow hybrid.

Would be harsh on Underhill and it's hard to know how highly Gatland rates Tipuric but I'd be surprised to see anything drastically different from that. Covers all the bases and plenty of options for all three positions.
Ritchie is class, didn't know he was particularly unliked though. I'd just go Beirne at 6 due to the consistently high number of turnovers he gets from there... it's uncanny! Him at 6 feeding off the number of tackles from Tipuric or Watson would just be so profitable.

Last edited:
The Watson Curry thing online is weird. I get that the Six Nations brings out the most annoying groups of fans and everyone loves to kick England whem they're down but there's no way Curry won't tour.

The Watson Curry thing online is weird. I get that the Six Nations brings out the most annoying groups of fans and everyone loves to kick England whem they're down but there's no way Curry won't tour.
I don't really venture onto social media... what has been the overall gist?

Curry can play 6.

Curry was an absolute standout 3 years ago playing a very similar Bok pack however, and he's progressed leaps and bounds since then. Power = M * V, and he while lighter than PSDT would be quicker, I dont think he's going to get run over by the Bok pack. The biggest issue is can they gain parity in scrums and lineouts, after that, I think they'll have enough to get front foot ball and really play a quality brand of rugby with flankers that arent just big
Is anyone really going to out muscle the SA pack? No, they likely wont, so as much as I like CJ, I've never seen him make a whole lot of impact in his carries vs big forward packs, but we'll see.
When positions are close to call, its quite difficult to say who will play until you've seen them in the Lions shirt and can judge on those performances

Watson as well, you could say he's light, but they way he carries is monstrous, his physicality is second to none. It's not all about weight, and he's got explosive power to burn

Last edited:
The whole Scottish backrow is very good in fairness.
I hadn't really considered Fagerson for the lions but I think 8 is a weaker position and there's an outside chance he goes.

Watson would be my starter at 7, carries like he's possessed, great over the ball, if Curry started I don't think it would be a drop down by any means

Curry was an absolute standout 3 years ago playing a very similar Bok pack however, and he's progressed leaps and bounds since then. Power = M * V, and he while lighter than PSDT would be quicker, I dont think he's going to get run over by the Bok pack. The biggest issue is can they gain parity in scrums and lineouts, after that, I think they'll have enough to get front foot ball and really play a quality brand of rugby with flankers that arent just big
Is anyone really going to out muscle the SA pack? No, they likely wont, so as much as I like CJ, I've never seen him make a whole lot of impact in his carries vs big forward packs, but we'll see.
When positions are close to call, its quite difficult to say who will play until you've seen them in the Lions shirt and can judge on those performances

Watson as well, you could say he's light, but they way he carries is monstrous, his physicality is second to none. It's not all about weight, and he's got explosive power to burn

For me I'm thinking more defensive stand point rather than attacking.

I don't really venture onto social media... what has been the overall gist?
Lot of Scottish fans saying Curry shouldn't tour etc, lots of English fans getting a bit miffed in response and so on.

Stems from a lot of people insisting on picking Lions 23 right now and then getting annoyed when their preferred 7/whatever isn't there. Followed by 'you can't possibly pick Curry, he's horribly out of form'. A lot of Scots have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about Lions selection after the last few tours which doesn't help. Things escalate from there and suddenly only one can make it on the tour

Basically a lot of people insisting on making a binary choice now when in reality both will likely tour and we'll see closer to the time.

For me I'm thinking more defensive stand point rather than attacking
A good line speed is almost as important here, but even then, I'd say he's pretty physical in the tackle, a stat showed he disrupted more rucks defensively than anyone else and is obviously good on the jackal

Lot of Scottish fans saying Curry shouldn't tour etc, lots of English fans getting a bit miffed in response and so on.

Stems from a lot of people insisting on picking Lions 23 right now and then getting annoyed when their preferred 7/whatever isn't there. Followed by 'you can't possibly pick Curry, he's horribly out of form'. A lot of Scots have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about Lions selection after the last few tours which doesn't help. Things escalate from there and suddenly only one can make it on the tour

Basically a lot of people insisting on making a binary choice now when in reality both will likely tour and we'll see closer to the time.
I know there seems to be a likelihood for a small squad but I'd personally take both.

edit. and out of the two (three if you consider Tipuric) Curry is definitely the most likely to go imo.

Conan could be a left field shout if Gatland feels the need to go physical in the backrow. Finished the tournament very well coming back from injury and was dominant in the pro14 final. He'd free up Stander as a 6 and be a good backup to Faletau as a still powerful but more nuanced runner which I think you need a bit of v the Boks. (another reason why I think Henshaw is an absolute must, has the footwork to find the weak shoulder 9/10 times)

Can't see Conan winning out v Billy but I'd be happy to see him in the Ireland squad against them in the 2023 Final for sure.

Latest posts