• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Happy 100 games George Smith!

F

Fushitsusha

Has only missed one game in his entire career due to injury... what a champ...

Here's a really nice article from the Canberra Times -

Smith joins elite 100 club

John-Paul Moloney, Canberra Times | March 20, 2008 - 10:41AM

It's the George Smith paradox. In fitness testing he's often one of the first to drop out huffing and puffing, yet when others are dead on their feet late in a match he's still there, battling on with undiminished effect.

One of his many admirers, former teammate Owen Finegan, describes him as "a solid fat kid" with a "big bum", yet his durability over nine seasons suggests he's made of kevlar.

Tomorrow night the ACT Brumbies' stand-in captain marches into Super 14 history, becoming only the fifth Brumby to join the elite 100-game club. And he's only 27.

"It's great to be reaching 100 this week and hopefully it can be a memorable one," Smith said this week.

"It's a special club. The guys who have reached 100 games for their club or state have always been very loyal and consistent players."

It's rare to talk to anyone about Smith without that word "consistency" passing their lips.

Smith arrived at the Brumbies in 2000 with a strong reputation as a junior player. But unlike most, he didn't need a year or two of developmen tbefore he was ready for the top grade.

He made his debut against the Durban Sharks two weeks into his first season, coming off the bench to replace Finegan. His second match a couple of weeks later was the start of a run of 66 matches until injury finally claimed him in 2005.

He was out for only one week. He hasn't missed a game since.While not blessed with the kind of endurance that stands out in beep tests or road runs, Smith's great skill is knowing where he needs to be on the field and making sure he's there before time.

Finegan, himself known for having a less than typically athletic physique, said Smith was a master of on-field efficiency with a powerful lower body that made him ruthlessly effective at the breakdown.

"He's got chunky tree-stump legs and a big bum, short legs and a long body. You wouldn't call him fit, he's a solid fat kid," Finegan said.

"Whenever we do any of the fitness testing, he's always the first to drop out. But ask any of the players who's the fittest player on the field, it's George. He's always in the right place at the right time. He has an uncanny ability to read the play."

Coach Laurie Fisher said Smith never had bad games. Judged against teammates and rivals, all his performances were at least good, many were outstanding.

This year's run of injuries, which has kept captain Stirling Mortlock on the sidelines for the first half of the season, has added enormous responsibility to Smith's load.

It's forced him to break more and more out of his naturally shy nature and lead his young team on and off the field.

Fisher said Smith had carried the weight "extraordinarily well", despite the team struggling with two wins from five matches.

"We had a leadership breakfast this morning and four of the six blokes aren't playing at the moment," Fisher said.

"George is carrying a lot of responsibility on the field and doing it extraordinarily well."

I'd say this is his most challenging season by far and I think he's handling himself well so far."

By the time he retires, most probably having surpassed former Brumby George Gregan's records for the most Tests and most Super matches, Smith will be entrenched as Australia's greatest openside flanker.

In a huge compliment, Finegan, one of the Brumbies' greats himself, said the player eight years his junior had been his role model during their five years playing together.

"When I was playing for the Brumbies I set myself a goal of trying to beat George each year as best and fairest.

"That was near impossible, it was setting your target too high. He was who I was trying to aspire to. I wanted to be as good and as consistent as George Smith."

It's forced him to break more and more out of his naturally shy nature and lead his young team on and off the field.

Fisher said Smith had carried the weight "extraordinarily well", despite the team struggling with two wins from five matches.

"We had a leadership breakfast this morning and four of the six blokes aren't playing at the moment," Fisher said.

"George is carrying a lot of responsibility on the field and doing it extraordinarily well."

I'd say this is his most challenging season by far and I think he's handling himself well so far."

By the time he retires, most probably having surpassed former Brumby George Gregan's records for the most Tests and most Super matches, Smith will be entrenched as Australia's greatest openside flanker.

In a huge compliment, Finegan, one of the Brumbies' greats himself, said the player eight years his junior had been his role model during their five years playing together.

"When I was playing for the Brumbies I set myself a goal of trying to beat George each year as best and fairest.

"That was near impossible, it was setting your target too high. He was who I was trying to aspire to. I wanted to be as good and as consistent as George Smith."[/b]

Let me direct you to this part of the article which is 100% true - :D

[/b]

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Pfft, Canberra Times, why don't you just go get your sources from the gossip column why don't you :D

100? Man he's getting old... He's certainly not the McCaw-esque no7 he was 4 years ago. I swear it was all in the dreads.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Pfft, Canberra Times, why don't you just go get your sources from the gossip column why don't you :D
[/b][/quote]

When butted up against the Sydney Morning Herald and Daily Telegraph it's the New York Times of rugby commentary... B)

Latest posts