• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Harlequins Thread

USA on a "long term deal" i believe
Dunno how long term, but yeah, he's stateside.
However I'm sure the lure of the Prem would work it's magic if Quin's wanted.

Besides, it wasn't a serious suggestion, just an attempt to "console" our resident Quins fans

I hate though when people like him say things in press conferences that will clearly antagonise. "This is our strongest squad ever" Well if so why aren't you winning?

Prob a bit harsh not a very good head coach but was in the coaching staff that won the prem and been with you since 2001.
See Reiser's comment. It's the way he's conducted himself this year that has led to a lot of quins fans disliking him. When we've lost, hes spouted the same empty rhetoric over and over without changing anything.
Also, taking a new contract during a season like this one says a lot about his character. If he wanted the best for the club, he wouldnt have taken a new contract whilst the team was playing like ****. It kinda suggests he is only out for himself.

He was definitely a talented coach, but Quins have been sliding backwards for a couple years now. I don't think he was ever cut out for the DoR role and having Easter as a defence coach this year wasn't exactly helping his cause.

See Reiser's comment. It's the way he's conducted himself this year that has led to a lot of quins fans disliking him. When we've lost, hes spouted the same empty rhetoric over and over without changing anything.
Also, taking a new contract during a season like this one says a lot about his character. If he wanted the best for the club, he wouldnt have taken a new contract whilst the team was playing like ****. It kinda suggests he is only out for himself.

That's a weak argument.
It's a guys living FFS, he gets offered a 5 year deal by the board (or whoever) which makes you think they are happy with him of course he will take it, not like he would have made a solid pension fund from his days playing either. Out for himself lol of course he will think about himself he's what 58 years old played rugby in the non pro era pretty much but yeh expect him to reject a wage okay lol.
If anything says more about whoever is in charge at quins than him.

That's a weak argument.
It's a guys living FFS, he gets offered a 5 year deal by the board (or whoever) which makes you think they are happy with him of course he will take it, not like he would have made a solid pension fund from his days playing either. Out for himself lol of course he will think about himself he's what 58 years old played rugby in the non pro era pretty much but yeh expect him to reject a wage okay lol.
If anything says more about whoever is in charge at quins than him.
Fair enough, Ellis is massively at fault as well, but I can't help but feel like someone who has been with the club for that long should at least know what's best for it. Ellis screwed up with appointing him after O'Shea but the last two years have been fire and it's Kingstons fault

Fair enough, Ellis is massively at fault as well, but I can't help but feel like someone who has been with the club for that long should at least know what's best for it. Ellis screwed up with appointing him after O'Shea but the last two years have been fire and it's Kingstons fault

I think you underestimate the mindset of professional sportsmen be it players or coaches. Alot have that mentality that they can either fix it or are not the problem. But end of the day 17 years at one club, just because he was completely out of his depth doesn't make him a prick even if he thought he was the right man for the job and defended himself.

No coach really jumps on their own sword this day and age.

I think you underestimate the mindset of professional sportsmen be it players or coaches. Alot have that mentality that they can either fix it or are not the problem. But end of the day 17 years at one club, just because he was completely out of his depth doesn't make him a prick even if he thought he was the right man for the job and defended himself.

No coach really jumps on their own sword this day and age.
True, maybe I was being harsh off of still being mad about Irish. I'm still rediculously relieved though

That doesn't seem like prickish behaviour, just poor coaching...

I'm certainly not going to imply what type of person he is. I can't judge a person from one or two instances. My point was more that he doesn't seem to be taking responsibility. I can only go on the quotes in the news, but these are the main two.

"The obstacles this season have been well documented and no one has been more disappointed by our results than me," Kingston said.
"In my opinion, this is the strongest squad ever assembled in all my time at Harlequins and this leaves the club in a sound position to go forward."

If this is the case why hasn't the team performed better? Is it a player attitude or just poor coaching? Either way for me the Head Coach has to be responsible. Mutual consent suggests either you go or your fired ultimatum. However from his quotes he seems to suggest that he's leaving Quins in an amazing position and that it was just bad luck or unfavourable circumstances. Maybe elsewhere he did say that he is in charge and has to take responsibility, but I don't see it at the moment.

JK was over-promoted and should never have been given the job. I'm by no means his biggest fan or defender, but he's far from being solely responsible for our current malaise. It's true that a lot of fans have grown to dislike him but calling him a 'prick' isn't really warranted.

He's done a lot of good things in 17 years at Quins and it's a shame he will be remembered for being so painfully out of his depth as a DoR.

Quite happy with Gustard from a Quins point of view. Our defence was pretty dire last year. Add in the possibility of Ben Ryan as a general manager and that's a tasty coaching setup.

Latest posts