• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Harlequins set to name Conor O'Shea director of rugby

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8394164.stm

Conor O'Shea is set to be named as Harlequins' new director of rugby, BBC Sport understands.

The 39-year-old, formerly a director of rugby with London Irish who has also worked for the Rugby Football Union, is something of a surprise choice.

He has been out of the sport for the past 18 months, working for the English Institute of Sport.

Dean Richards resigned from the post in August as details emerged of his role in the fake blood scandal.

Quins also considered former Wasps and British and Irish Lions coach Ian McGeechan, former Scotland coach Frank Hadden, South Africa assistant coach Gary Gold and Quins assistant coach Tony Diprose.

But they have opted for the former Ireland full-back, who is a highly respected figure in the game despite his recent absence.

O'Shea retired as a player in 2000 before joining the coaching staff at London Irish. He led London Irish to the Powergen Cup in 2002 and then took up a role with the RFU as director of regional academies before joining the EIS in 2008.

The "Bloodgate" scandal which led to Richards's downfall occurred when Quins winger Tom Williams was ordered to feign injury in the Heineken Cup quarter-final against Leinster on 12 April by chewing a fake blood capsule, thus allowing goal-kicker Nick Evans to return to the field.

Williams later had his lip cut in an attempt to make the injury appear genuine.

Richards and physio Steph Brennan were initially cleared of any wrongdoing at a disciplinary hearing in July but were heavily punished by a subsequent appeals committee in August.

Former England number eight Richards was banned from coaching worldwide and chief executive Mark Evans initially said the club were undecided as to whether they would replace him.[/b]
A bit of a bolt from the blue.

Good choice. Has always come across as a keen and knowledgeable figure in my opinion. Hope he does well.

I know the article tries to, but can someone fill me in on this guy? what brand of rugby, honours etc.

much appreciated

Havent a clue to be honest. he has little coaching pedigree but he is very well respected in the game both here and across the pond.

Hes always seemed to sit naturally in the administrative roles.

I'd imagine him doing the role Rob Andrew has failed to do quite well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Dec 15 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know the article tries to, but can someone fill me in on this guy? what brand of rugby, honours etc.

much appreciated[/b]

Played full-back or wing for London Irish, remember him scoring a great solo try against us at the Mem. Ran from 60 odd meters, chip over defense collected and skinned the fullback. I would say like Geordan Murphy in the style of play.

While I don't know much about his coaching pedigree, he is highly intelligent and easily the best TV analyst in Ireland or Britain (but that's not saying much).

Will follow this with interest, he definitely knows the game very well, hope he does well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Dec 15 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would say like Geordan Murphy in the style of play.[/b]
Oh ........ he was definately a fullback but he was more of a Girvan Dempsey, though not as good under the high ball.

Latest posts