• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Has Britain fallen out of love with lager?

TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_58831977_larger_composite624.jpg

Once synonymous with the British night out, sales of lager have slumped. Why is the UK going off its favourite beer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17211485

Well ... no shock surprise that an Irish member posted here first :lol:

Lager, or at least mainstream lagers (Stella, Fosters etc), have a bad rep, they're most linked to hooliganism, Jeremy Kyle regulars etc.

Well ... no shock surprise that an Irish member posted here first :lol:

It's actually accurate stereotyping if I'm being honest..

I have drank every night over the last 7 days...

as a result of this.

422680_10151347695980201_289968925200_23458630_1325274978_n.jpg

Got my first winners medal in 14 years of rugby...come at me.

In North America, Lager is by far the most consumed type of beer...I don't much like Pilsner style lagers either especially Labatt Blue...ewwww.

It's actually accurate stereotyping if I'm being honest..

I have drank every night over the last 7 days...

as a result of this.

422680_10151347695980201_289968925200_23458630_1325274978_n.jpg

Got my first winners medal in 14 years of rugby...come at me.

Was the baby your kicking coach?

I'm looking forward to Mite's horrible reaction to this thread.

Never been a fan of lager, always been an ale drinker. Always found them too 'bubbly'.

Currently its all I see anyone really drink (other than vodka mixers etc) in the SU saying that though they only serve Carling, Carlsberg and Guinness on tap there..

I like both though really.. I generally stick to lager though mainly as most pubs I've been to here so far dont serve any ale's I recognize so I dont really bother.. tis likely the wrong attitude to have but I'd rather buy something I know I kinda like than something that might be wasted.

It's interesting to read that Stella Artois is known as a drink for douchebags in the UK, where I am it's a slightly pretentious choice of beer.

Lots of the local bars/pubs serve it but it's usually a little bit pricier then the alternatives and really isn't that much better. I do know a couple of people that drink it and they sometimes get a little bit of ribbing for having either too much money on their hands or not being able to handle one of the less smooth alternatives.

Are light beers at all popular in the UK?

It's interesting to read that Stella Artois is known as a drink for douchebags in the UK, where I am it's a slightly pretentious choice of beer.

Lots of the local bars/pubs serve it but it's usually a little bit pricier then the alternatives and really isn't that much better. I do know a couple of people that drink it and they sometimes get a little bit of ribbing for having either too much money on their hands or not being able to handle one of the less smooth alternatives.

They bill Stella as pretentious and sophisticated on TV but it just isn't. Light beers are there in supermarkets but I think most people have the view, "if you want a light beer, drink something else".

Only lagers I drink are Corona, Sol and Quilmes but would prefer a proper beer or Cider

I like Coors and Miller having drank my own body weight of the stuff in Canada. You can get it over here but it never seems as nice and can be pricey.

I like Coors and Miller having drank my own body weight of the stuff in Canada. You can get it over here but it never seems as nice and can be pricey.

I often have Coors at the bar, usually for home drinking I have Busch which I can describe as a poor man's Budweiser to those who have never tried it. Light Beer is massive in the States, Coors Light and Bud Light are huge there.

Are any Canadian Beers seen at all in the UK? Like Molson Canadian or Labatt Blue et.al. Moosehead has also become a popular brand here in Canada and is the largest Canadian owned brewery in operation I could see many from the UK enjoying it as it is quite different from the standard North American beers.

Never seen any of those over here.. I've seen Coors, Coors light and Bud though.. I dislike all 3, they dont really taste nice tbh.. best lager I've tried has got to be Dortmunder, but that can only be found and baught around dortmund in Germany :/

Real Ale all the way...

I am a proud member of CAMRA, and have recently started to brew my own beer... I prefer my beer to have some taste with the natural ingredients rather than some chemically induced drivel...

If I have to drink Lager, I usually go for something like a Corona, Sol or Peroni... I tend to stick to local breweries and regional beers, depending where I am and always look for the unique tasting beers, recently been drinking some Norwegian Real Ale, which is very nice and brings back some hints of the good old fashioned ways of brewing...

I am also currently working to become a beer sommelier

Real Ale all the way...

I am a proud member of CAMRA, and have recently started to brew my own beer... I prefer my beer to have some taste with the natural ingredients rather than some chemically induced drivel...

If I have to drink Lager, I usually go for something like a Corona, Sol or Peroni... I tend to stick to local breweries and regional beers, depending where I am and always look for the unique tasting beers, recently been drinking some Norwegian Real Ale, which is very nice and brings back some hints of the good old fashioned ways of brewing...

I am also currently working to become a beer sommelier

Ah, a man after my own heart. The thing I've found about brewing lager is that it's actually a lot trickier than things like IPA's (which turns out lovely, I'd recommend you have a go at it) or wheat beers. In some sense, the little impurities add to the distinctiveness of your batch in the case of the latter two, but in lager it's a rather unpleasant effect. I guess it has something to do with the generic taste we expect from commercial lagers, which can be pretty difficult to replicate at home.

Out of interest, do you prefer to start from scratch or use the premade kits?

Latest posts