• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Has The Premiership Missed The Trick?

Stumpy

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
So Friday the season kicks off and I feel like it has just creeped up unannounced, with the world cup coming up you would have thought that the league would be advertising like mad during the games to try and draw people who have caught the Rugby bug, you would think that every game this weekend would be a sell out but I would happily bet that they are not and that's a shame. What does everyone else think? Has anyone been drawn to attend this weekend that wouldn't normally because of the world cup?

Surely it'd be the opposite?
Clashing with the knockouts, even with England out, will be bad for attendance.

Clubs could surely capitalise on this fact as the games will be played before the knockouts kick off so they could show them in the club bar or on the big screens after the games have finished and make some money from beer sales. I do believe Sarries will do that this weekend

There has been an advertising campaign - local newspapers and the like.

There has been an advertising campaign - local newspapers and the like.
The only adverts that I have seen are the ones for the highlights show by ITV and I think I saw a couple in the rugby paper

I think Peat may have been being cynical...

Shouldn't really be a surprise... PRL's promotion tactics seem to be "international rugby, innit".

Nah, it exists - http://www.premiershiprugby.com/avivafirsttimers#KuemUjbVJODocm9X.97 - saw reference to it in a few local rags (Newcastle and on in the midlands I think). It might not be being done very well, but it does exist.

I can't imagine they have much money with which to promote this and ads in London are expensive, particularly when you consider there's only two clubs left there, so I'm not surprised if Stumpy didn't see much.

I see what you're saying with costing etc. but it just feels like the RWC will finish and no one wants to capitalise on having rugby in the spotlight and try and grow the club game

Latest posts