• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Haskell eyes shock Ospreys switch

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
London Wasps and England back-row James Haskell has held talks with the Ospreys about a move to the Welsh region, BBC Wales' Scrum V programme understands.

The 23-year-old, tipped as a future England captain, is out of contract with Wasps in the summer.

Rival English side Sale Sharks are also understood to be interested in Haskell, as are French giants Toulouse.[/b]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...sps/7823118.stm

Who's in charge of signing players at Ospreys? I presume since Sean Holley is just a stopgap as coach that it's not him who's making the call on whether or not to sign him. Is it Andrew Hore who's charged with adding to the squad? If so, the Ospreys structure seems to be akin to the American sports model of a head coach concentrating solely on onfield performance and a General Manager/Elite Performance Director giving the coach tools to work with.

If a deal for Haskell can be reached, it'd be another impressive capture by the Ospreys. They're building a powerhouse squad. Hopefully they can increase their fanbase to match such a strong playing department.

Not good enough to get in their first XV.
I doubt there's any credibility to this rumour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 11 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd imagine it's just a ploy for him to get a better deal from Wasps[/b]
Perhaps. It was reported a few days ago that Haskell is also being chased by Stade Francais. A figure of around 400,000euro per year being offered to him has been floated. Given the likely reduction in the salary cap in the Premiership coupled with the new owner of Wasps stating that the contracts offered to the likes of Cipriani, Walder, Flutey, Rees and Haskell are non-negotiable, it wouldn't surprise me to see Haskell lead a player exodus from the Adams Park based team.

James Haskell is the subject of a move by Stade Français. The 23-year-old back-row forward could be poached from the English Premiership after Wasps failed to re-sign him, leaving him free to consider other offers. Haskell, along with Danny Cipriani and other of Wasps' England players, refused to go along with non-negotiatiable conditions set forth by the new chairman, Steve Hayes. Bath are also said to be considering an offer to Haskell.[/b]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jan/0...s-stadefrancais

I'd love to see him at Sale, we're going to be missing two back row forwards very soon.

God only knows who would think Haskell is worth £400k a year. There's no end of better blindside flankers out there while he's not a number eight at all (despite the potential he had a couple of years ago).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 11 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
God only knows who would think Haskell is worth £400k a year. There's no end of better blindside flankers out there while he's not a number eight at all (despite the potential he had a couple of years ago).[/b]
Yep, 400k per year is crazy money for a guy who hasn't proven himself and isn't going to add much value in the way of image rights. He's a talented player but in my opinion isn't consistent enough as of yet. He'd make a fantastic impact sub but 400k is a little too much money for such a role!

Found a link to the figure I bandied about:
Stade Francais and Bath are understood to be heading a lengthy queue of suitors keen to sign Haskell, with the former reported in France to have made the England flanker an offer worth €400,000 a year, while a host of clubs across Europe are attempting to lure Cipriani.[/b]
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...0936731396.html

Do the Ospreys need another backrower?? Especially one thats going to be involved with England itnernationals?

Must be a good offer.... why else would a player move from the bright lights of the GP to the murky backwater of the ML? ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Jan 13 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Must be a good offer.... why else would a player move from the bright lights of the GP to the murky backwater of the ML? ;)[/b]

It does sound like a good holiday I must admit!

I dont know why everyone is making out £400K for Haskell to go to Swansea is a lot of money.
Have none of you been to the ****-hole?

Latest posts