• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Haskell wanted

E

erwanseb

A sipute is brewing between the english RFU and Stade Francais, which is playing against Toulouse this week end at the stade de France.

The RFU is refusing to let Haskell go while Stade Francais wants to have him for this game.

Stade Francais has the law on its side as the agreement between the GUiness premiership and the RFU allowing to keep the players between the fixtures of the 6N is not applicable to a French Club. IRB regulations are also on the French club side and Haskell should be heading back to Paris.

Note that the issue is not applicable to Wilkinson, he has negotiated the clause of the Guiness/RFU agreement in his own personnal contract with Toulon, which is a wise move even though this probably costs him a tiny discount on his wages.

The fact that Wilko has personnally negotiated this clause equally proves that RFU is in the wrong by not letting Haskell go back to Paris, the row could eventually escalate as this is a clear breach of working contract.

Note also that Satde Francais let Haskell join the pre-tournament camp which it was not obliged o.

The question is why didn't Haskell plan the same clause as Wilko in his contract ??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Mar 2 2010, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The question is why didn't Haskell plan the same clause as Wilko in his contract ??[/b]
I suppose it's because at the time of signing Haskell might not have expected to be picked for England.
Wilkinson, at the back of his mind would have known he'd be somewhere in the England squad, and as he's getting on in years, and having been out injured forever, needed nothing standing in his way of playing for England, whereas Haskell was behind Tom Croft, Joe Worsely, Nick Easter, Lewis Moody, Chris Robshaw and Steffon Armitage in the pecking order for the back row, so might not have expected to be consistently making the starting XV/22

Paris are already in deep **** with a lot of injuries and two major players with long bans, they certainly won't let this one go out of some entente cordiale. A good old shitstorm coming

Well Haskell has a contract with SF and when push comes to shove, if he doesn't show up for that match and anything else he's obliged to do then he is - according to the law- in da ****.

In da **** being an old Latin maxim that basically suggests that he they'll take all his money off him and it doesn't effect the RFU and they need to stop being whiney ()itches and stick to whatever deals they make.

Is this a rule that only applies to French clubs or could the Leicester keep Murphy from training with Ireland?

The row could be extremely serious.

Let's say Stade Francais loses against Toulouse this coming week end and then misses the Heineken cup qualification by a couple of points.

Stade Francais could then claim against the RFU for the missing turnover.

If I was at the RFU, knowing they are legally on the wrong side of the law, Stade Francais not enjoying any financial compensation that Guinness clubs do enjoy for freeing their internationals, I would clearly let him go.

"The RFU confirmed that Haskell's contract secured his availability for all Elite Player Squad windows and that they were not bound to release him for club duty."

Who's lying ??

By all rights the RFU have no right to him if the club make their claim. The only reason that they throw their weight around with the Premiership clubs is because of this bullshit EPS agreement, without which for the insolvent clubs (i.e. most of them) would be a death knell as the RFU can withhold funding if they don't comply.

I'm surprised there are two teams fighting for his services at all. Had a poor game last Saturday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 2 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm surprised there are two teams fighting for his services at all. Had a poor game last Saturday.[/b]

Stade Français have many players injured and they have a very important game to play this week-end versus Toulouse. If they lose it is very unlikely that they'll qualify for the play-offs and so next season H-cup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 2 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 2 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised there are two teams fighting for his services at all. Had a poor game last Saturday.[/b]

Stade Français have many players injured and they have a very important game to play this week-end versus Toulouse. If they lose it is very unlikely that they'll qualify for the play-offs and so next season H-cup.
[/b][/quote]
Stade Francais have challenged the RFU to produce any agreement that would exist between them,Haskell and the RFU so I guess they are pretty sure to have the law on their side.

If Stae loses and does not qualify for the HC, this could be very damaging for the RFU in a Europoean court.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Mar 3 2010, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 2 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 2 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Stade Francais have challenged the RFU to produce any agreement that would exist between them,Haskell and the RFU so I guess they are pretty sure to have the law on their side.

If Stae loses and does not qualify for the HC, this could be very damaging for the RFU in a Europoean court.
[/b][/quote]

Firstly it'd wouldn't be in the French Courts, as that's what the contract probably specifies and secondly, would they really have any claim against the RFU. Haskell isn't chained to his bed in a hotel. He can get on a plane and do what HIS contract says HE has to do.

Ah, but he will also have Rob Andrew and Francis Baron pontificating to him about how he'll never play for his country again if he goes. He's now f*cked no matter what he does.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Mar 3 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ah, but he will also have Rob Andrew and Francis Baron pontificating to him about how he'll never play for his country again if he goes. He's now f*cked no matter what he does.[/b]
True but he was well aware of that BEFORE he signed the contract. His bed, he made, he should go and sleep in it.

He needs to be very careful about how he behaves here. He's the one that has to return to the club.

Stade pay his wages. Therefore, he should go back to Stade. Stade wouldn't confront the RFU if they were bluffing, surely.. not to this extent.

The way i see it, as it has been pointed out is that Haskell moved to France, in what was a sweet deal as he wasn't playing for England and will get a very nice wage at Stade. If Stade lose, Haskell loses. Sure, Haskell is not the best player at the club, but if Stade don't get H-Cup next season then that'd would obviously affect the club funds, which might just affect his sweet deal.

You can't have your cake and eat it. I don't agree with players playing abroad (TOP14 anyway) playing for England. It's greed. Haskell, being employed should immediately return to Paris in my humble opinion. Why is he scared of the RFU? They can't do anything, other than make sure he's not picked again as long as they are in the RFU. Big whoop.

If it was me, i'd wanna be there on merit. Not because i'm being told to be in some playground style tactic from the RFU.

The other issue is, if Haskell plays this weekend for England.. and technically he is not legimate to do so in a court of law and gets injured.. what happens then?

This is certainly not over. On french TV, after the terrible defeat of Paris against Toulouse in the Stade de France (29 - 0), the Stade president Max Guazzini said there would be harsh consequences on players. He said some of them let the team down and that there would be big changes in names between this year and the next. He also complained about the RFU and the fact that GP clubs get money for giving their test players to the national team during championship days, whereas of course Paris got nothing.

With Haskell's average season in my opinion, he'll be the first to set sail. Bon débarras if you ask me, you could tell from the start that the guy was just a mercenary. Fans don't particularly like him and his reluctance to come back and play with his mates against Toulouse shows that either he doesn't give a rat's ass about the club, or that he has no balls. In both cases I'd be more than happy to replace him with an up and coming french player. As someone said before, Stade Francais pays the man ffs, so Johnson or the RFU would have had nothing to say had Haskell played on Saturday.

Latest posts