• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Haughton leaves Saracens for London Wasps

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
London Wasps have announced the signing of Richard Haughton on a two year deal after making 165 appearances for Saracens since his debut in 2000.

The 29-year-old winger/fullback was part of the team that drove Saracens to the Heineken Cup Semi Finals in 2007/08, he rounded off that same season as the 'Richard Hill Saracens Player of the Year' and was also named in the 2008 Sky Dream Team. In 2009/10 he made 19 appearances, scoring five tries, for the 1XV that secured a place in the Guinness Premiership Final.

On the international scene Haughton earned his name as a regular on the Sevens circuit, securing a silver medal with England in the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne alongside Wasps' Tom Varndell, and has scored over 100 tries on the World Sevens stage. He also holds honours with England A, U21 and U18.

Haughton adds further pace to a strong 2010/11 Wasps squad list, joining new signings Riki Flutey, Nic Berry, James Cannon, Charlie Davies, Seb Jewell and a host of current players including captain Tom Rees, Serge Betsen, Richard Birkett, Joe Worsley and Rob Webber who have all renewed their contracts.

On signing Haughton, Wasps Director of Rugby Tony Hanks said, "Richard is a top quality player who is equally comfortable at wing and fullback and brings with him a host of experience in the game.
"He is a player that both Shaun (Edwards) and I have admired for a number of years and we are very pleased he has decided to join Wasps.

"Richard has a huge desire to play at the highest level and his 10 years with Saracens, combined with his impressive records on the Sevens circuit, make him a very valuable addition to the squad. We look forward to working with him and all of our new signings ahead of what is a very exciting season for all at the Club."

Haughton added, "Wasps have a hugely impressive history of success and a very focused and exciting view towards the future - something I am really looking forward to being a part of.

"For me it is the right time for my next challenge and the Wasps set-up is one which players seem to really respond to. To have the opportunity to join a club with such quality coaches and players and to test myself in a different environment sets up a really big season for me - a challenge that I really relish."
Source

He will probably get replaced by a South-African at Saracens;)

Are there going to be any English players at Saracens next season, or not?!?!

Latest posts