• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Have you grown out of soccerball and fallen in love with rugby?

Yep and funny how rugby is the perfect sporting example of sexual excitement for a fan. As the team gets closer to the try line the excitement slowly builds and builds...and gets more excited...and then almost uncontrollable excitement...then finally the climax of a try. With soccer if you blink or look the other way a goal could be scored. In soccer there is no build up to a climax..just anxiety attacks of misses and then a sudden stab of a sudden goal.[/b]

w000000000000000000000000000000000t? Man, i love your posts. :)

They're even starting to 'dive' up there in the NH [/b]

Look, don't brand us all as arseholes just because of Wilkinson. I'm expecting Nonu to be "shot by a sniper" any moment now.

<div class='quotemain'>They're even starting to 'dive' up there in the NH [/b]

Look, don't brand us all as arseholes just because of Wilkinson. I'm expecting Nonu to be "shot by a sniper" any moment now.
[/b][/quote]
Stop putting words in my mouth. I didn't call anybody an arsehole. Simulation and diving is creeping in up there, have you forgot about Quinlan's little drama episode already?

I wish I could forget about that.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5eCBkx86_Rs&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5eCBkx86_Rs&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I already disliked him before that.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> I think it was all over for me football wise when Dad took me to a Harlow FC game when I was five. A minute later we were walking off with Dad incensed at how bad the language was from the players, let alone the fans.[/b]

I think your old man needs to harden the f**k up tbh.
[/b][/quote]
Oh the irony... telling someone to harden the f*** up while talking about soccer and it not being about the players.
Seriously though, I wouldn't be too harsh on his old man. You're talking English soccer here, where some fans will gladly stab you in the neck if they find out you support a rival team. [/b][/quote]

Is there any statements coming from you about football that arent based on **** stereotypes?.

I'm starting to wonder.....

<div class='quotemain'>
I can still vividly remember travelling to Ninian Park home of Cardiff to watch Burnley play and near the end of the game a large number of Cardiff fans left the game early and then started throwing housebricks over the wall at the Burnley fans. It all ended with the entire Burnley end spilling onto the pitch and then being kept in the ground for ages whilst the police 'allegedly' cleared the streets of the Cardiff fans. Upon being let out of the ground we were greeted with pockets of Cardiff fans intent on trouble and most of the cars and coaches vandalised.
That was the last time I went to an away match and I don't think I went to all that many home matches from that point on neither. I can't actually remember the last time I watched a game of football either in the flesh or on the tv. [/b]
Sums up the fans of soccer to a tee really...
[/b][/quote]

Here we go again more stereotypes. <_<
[/b][/quote]
Tell someone to "harden up" after having to endure the utter lack of class that soccer fans, and ONLY soccer fans, produce on such a large scale then expect to cop a mouth full! Simple as that.
My reaction to you is based on the fact that you exhibit the tell tale signs of all Aussie soccer fans - namely that you hold the opinion that following "the world game" some how makes you Mr international, and anyone who doesn't is therefore insular. Sorry, but no. I may be stereotyping, but stereotypes exist for a reason, and the reason is that Soccer fans world wide are the most violent and unruly of any sport, yet the game itself is so bloody soft that a slight nudge warrents a red card if the opposing player is a good enough actor. What does that say about the game? It says it's a frustrating, negative emotion fueling mess! That's what it says! The fact that it's the no.1 game no more reflects its superiority than the fact that English is the most popular language to study in the world. It colonised first. That's it! Furthermore, while you may think they are simply stereotypes, I can qualify my statements because when I visited London at 18 to see my brother at a pub he was working at, he had to warn me to come wearing a wallabies or other clearly neutral colours, because he'd seen several people glassed (as in they had pint glasses busted over their faces - not a pretty sight if you've ever seen it) for coming in with the wrong bloody colours! That's not a rugby problem, that's not an AFL problem, it's not an NFL problem and it's not even a Rugby League problem. It's a f***ing soccer problem!
Tell someone to harden up on a bloddy rugby forum after they've had their fill of the scum that populate soccer stadiums? Seriously mate, you need to get your head checked after that one...

sanzar: That's why I can't stand going to soccer games, I hate the people that go there...I would much prefer to watch the game with my mates at home or at a pub, as my friends are just about all English they show the common English trait over here of being just so happy to be out of the UK that no trouble rarely happens, at Perth Glory games however, that's a whole different culture that I want no part of, that apparently exhibits much of the worst of soccer fans....

Maybe it's because Perth Glory stayed as they were instead of changing like all the other teams, and thus their fans were allowed to stay in their highly ethnicly segregated and exclusionist form. But either way I suppose it makes more sense to watch a foreign comp in a neutral atmosphere than a local one in a hostile atmosphere.

I've been to a few Roar games, I actually really enjoyed them especially sitting with the Roar crowd. I went to a Sydney game that got 30000 which no one wouldve believed for a domestic soccer game in Australia 10 years ago. I think everywheres been good except Perth Glory, bad results, poor crowds, they really do need that big rectangle stadium for them and the Force need so badly..

Yeah, the Sydney FC games are pretty civilised and they get good support. I probably would go for them if I didn't think I was contributing to the further marginalisation of Rugby Union in sydney (what with AFL already having made huge inroads).

Tell someone to harden up on a bloddy rugby forum after they've had their fill of the scum that populate soccer stadiums? Seriously mate, you need to get your head checked after that one... [/b]

So you think that all people who attend football stadiums are scum?. :toss:

The atmosphere isnt for everyone but i love it i love the hostility and tribalism of it all its brilliant. :) If that is scum behaviour well we really dont care that much. :) I think Sydney FC could do without a fan like you who has the wrong end of the stick when it comes to football.

Speaking of which Go Adelaide United against Kashima Antlers its going to be tough but we can do it. :)

Maybe it's because Perth Glory stayed as they were instead of changing like all the other teams, and thus their fans were allowed to stay in their highly ethnicly segregated and exclusionist form. [/b]

Its not anyone can go to the game back in the day you got told to f*** off if you weren't *insert ethnic minority* or we're certain ethnic minority.

Perth Glory isnt a ethnic club in fact its the first club to be non-ethnic that has lasted for a long period next oldest is Adelaide United after Adelaide City picked up its ball and bat and f**k off to dominate of its <strike>fiefdom</strike> of the SA super league.But many NSL clubs had a huge role in founding the current clubs but none of the ethnic baggage came with it and they were strictly non-ethnic simply put its bad for business and the image of the game to have ethnic clubs and started this in 1997 by as some "ethnic cleansing" by forcing clubs that have ethnic names like melbourne croatia south melbourne hellas etc to change there name etc etc.

Then A-League came along and now we have 8 clubs that welcome all to their games. :)

Perth Glory isnt a ethnic club in fact its the first club to be non-ethnic that has lasted for a long period
[/b]
I tend to disaggree, I went to an ethnic school and because I am not ethnic suffered alot of bad blood and almost racism because I was Australian. These were the third generation ethnics who speak with an accent despite the fact thier parents have an Australian accent. They were all very much Glory supporters with all thier large extended families going to the games arranging all thier stupid chants...nothing has changed with the Glory as most Australians go to AFL, various expats and Australians who don't like AFL go to the Super 14, the British largely follow the Premier League and the ethnics still have a monopoly on the majority of the Perth Glory crowd...

There is a reason the Glory aren't supported despite the growing interest in soccer over here, it still remains the region of the ethnics like it has always been....

I don't see myself ever supporting the Glory in its current form unless thier is a tremendous groundswell of support out of its current ethnic bases....

Yeah, the Sydney FC games are pretty civilised and they get good support. I probably would go for them if I didn't think I was contributing to the further marginalisation of Rugby Union in sydney (what with AFL already having made huge inroads). [/b]

Whew.....it looks like the great threat of Aussies flocking to rugby and the Wallabies becoming like their cricket counterparts may hopefully not eventuate. You guys have such amazing talent all over that the world is lucky you haven't chosen one or two sports to dominate your country....your talent gets spread around the various sports...which is good news for NZ rugby haha!

Back on topic....soccer can be mundane after a while as using legs only does have its limits visually.

<div class='quotemain'>
Tell someone to harden up on a bloddy rugby forum after they've had their fill of the scum that populate soccer stadiums? Seriously mate, you need to get your head checked after that one... [/b]

So you think that all people who attend football stadiums are scum?. :toss:

The atmosphere isnt for everyone but i love it i love the hostility and tribalism of it all its brilliant. :) If that is scum behaviour well we really dont care that much. :) I think Sydney FC could do without a fan like you who has the wrong end of the stick when it comes to football. [/b][/quote]
I didn't actually say all soccer fans are scum (otherwise me stating that Sydney games are civilised would be a contradiction in terms), what I said was "the scum that populate soccer stadiums". It's like how saying "the tourists that populate bondi beach at this time of year" doesn't mean everyone at bondi is a tourist, but rather centers on a group that is prominent within a larger mass. As such, what I said doesn't mean that everyone in soccer is scum, but rather points to the significant numbers of people within the soccer fraternity that are vile, simple minded thugs that think bashing the opposing teams supporters is the appropriate way to react to a loss. They may not be the majority, but their presence is very significant. Saying that I have "the wrong end of the stick" basically sounds to me like a refusal to accept there's even a problem (and judging by what a lot of the british posters on this thread have said, there certainly is one).

It's great to have passion surrounding a game, but those riot starting nutters that seem to be unique to soccer go beyond passion to rabid lunacy at times, which creates an atmosphere in which one is afraid to take their family to certain games for fear of violent reprisals from opposing fans. That kind of atmosphere certainly isn't for everyone...

I just dont really like football because the players think that they are bigger than the game itself, which they probably are. I would love to see a rugby player go **** out a ref without there being consequences. They say sorry and run away and hide.

I have often wondered, in soccer, obviously when the match starts, both teams need to score, in order to get the lead. So, if a team scores, they might as well just loaf around at the back and play pass pass with the goalkeeper. Then they get the win. I have seen Mexico do it a couple of times. I think it would be pretty funny. :)

sanzar: Have you been to many AFL games or spent time with AFL supporters?

They aren't as violent as soccer fans but they have to be twice as dumb....basically the game consists of yelling at opposition fans and booing anyone that isn't in your team...good thing wusses support AFL though. ;)

It reminds me I was at a bar when Australia were playing Wales in the world cup (the East Coast Aces ARC team were there too)and through the other room was a group of 5-ish AFL supporters yelling at the top of thier lungs at the TV while the Eagles were getting beaten by about 50 points late in the 4th quarter...I would have to say AFL would be the lowest common denominator in Australia at least.....soccer fans over here at least has a little bit of dignity...

Just not the Glory fans, right? Or do you think they have a bit of dignity?
AFL's not really my thing, but in Sydney the AFL fans don't really have that kind of image... they have more of a "champagne drinking toff" reputation, probably because they got a lot of their early fans with big corporate support. But we have types like that in Sydney and they're called bulldogs fans (rugby league) :D. Those guys carry on like wankers at times, but the worst they do (even letting off a firework at a game a couple years back) is still small potatoes compared to the stuff that happens in European and South American Soccer. Either way, the most civilised atmosphere of any sporting even in Aus has to be the Union for me... that said, I love going to Origin and engaging in banter with the Qlder and letting my inner yobo out.

Just not the Glory fans, right? Or do you think they have a bit of dignity?[/b]
The Glory fans have dignity but are not really a place for non-ethnics, AFL is basically where alot of the worst behavioural aspects of Australians come out, not as aggressive as European soccer though, just more acting like a bloody idiot...

Well on the topic of A-League and Football, with this whole expansion thing.. do you think they are rushing into creating more teams, especially in Sydney and Melbourne?

Stats of A league crowds, 2007-08? (Team - Citys Populations - Average Crowd Attendance)

Melbourne Victory - 3,806,092 - 26,064
Queensland Roar - 1,857,594 - 16,954
Sydney FC - 4,336,374 - 16,365
Newcastle Jets - 523,662 - 13,209
Central Coast Mariners (Gosford) - 301,551 - 12,741
Adelaide United - 1,158,259 - 12,697
Wellington Phoenix - 379,000 - 11,683
Perth Glory - 1,554,769 - 7,596

Haha funny that, the Roar got bigger average crowds than Sydney with less than half the population and they want to put a second team in Sydney?

Two new teams will come in - they will be based in Gold Coast and Townsville, with populations of 583,657 and 157,174 respectively, and after the success of the ***ans I'm pretty confident the new GC side will rack will 10k+ even 15k+, and with the Townsville crop loving there Cowboys, I can see them backing a soccer team.

Some interesting stats there especially the low Perth Glory crowds, I've wondered why they have done poorly there, guess I've found out above.. but they desperately need a big rectangle stadium to share with the Force and same with Adelaide Utd.

Perhaps Canberra could get a sniff of a team, with a population of 400,000 .. Maybe even an AUCKLAND get get a team back there or even Hobart with a population of 200,000.

I was bored.. but, I think its stupid Melbourne and Sydney could get two more teams when Sydney dont get rack in a big crowd compared to other teams, and there are other cities that deserve teams more.

<div class='quotemain'>
Perth Glory isnt a ethnic club in fact its the first club to be non-ethnic that has lasted for a long period
[/b]
I tend to disaggree, I went to an ethnic school and because I am not ethnic suffered alot of bad blood and almost racism because I was Australian. These were the third generation ethnics who speak with an accent despite the fact thier parents have an Australian accent. They were all very much Glory supporters with all thier large extended families going to the games arranging all thier stupid chants...nothing has changed with the Glory as most Australians go to AFL, various expats and Australians who don't like AFL go to the Super 14, the British largely follow the Premier League and the ethnics still have a monopoly on the majority of the Perth Glory crowd...

There is a reason the Glory aren't supported despite the growing interest in soccer over here, it still remains the region of the ethnics like it has always been....

I don't see myself ever supporting the Glory in its current form unless thier is a tremendous groundswell of support out of its current ethnic bases.... [/b][/quote]

How can their be a groundswell of support if people dont go to the games......there is nothing stopping you getting a scarf buying a ticket and going to a game,that is why "effniks" might have monopoly on the games because they bother to turn up! they also more likely bring there family too.I know people over there that go to Perth Glory games Aussie as they come and have never complained about getting **** from people because they are Aussies.

I'm as anglo-saxon as the next guy and i have NEVER got crap from people turning up to games regardless of race.Maybe you are scared of something that isnt there.

It reminds me I was at a bar when Australia were playing Wales in the world cup (the East Coast Aces ARC team were there too)and through the other room was a group of 5-ish AFL supporters yelling at the top of thier lungs at the TV while the Eagles were getting beaten by about 50 points late in the 4th quarter...I would have to say AFL would be the lowest common denominator in Australia at least.....soccer fans over here at least has a little bit of dignity.

[/b]

Its called passion you might want to sit there quietly and watch the game but dont bag those who dont.People support teams in different ways so long as its not violent or dangerous you should respect that.

@Sanzar You can talk about European and South American football (the vast majority of it the fans behave and are peaceful that is never reported because it doesnt sell papers or make "sexy news" ) all you want but its not applicable here to *Australian* Football tarring Australian Football and Fans with the same brush is patently unfair.

Latest posts