Health News

Which Tyler

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

This doesn't really fit here, but may not deserve a thread of its own.

A different Oxford vaccine is proving effective against Malaria, humanity's biggest killer. 77% effective in children!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...proves-highly-effective-in-burkina-faso-trial

Obviously small scale trial so far - but if it can be repeated in larger trials, this is massive
Vaccine has been approve for use by WHO.
Potentially the most important vaccine of the century, even at "just" 30-40% effectiveness.

This is the vaccine research that Bill Gates has been pouring money into - I wonder if there's a conspiracy to ge microchips / 5G / Human Magnetism into African children? Or is it just idiots with smartphones who need to be chipped?

Reiser99

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Leicester

Vaccine has been approve for use by WHO.
Potentially the most important vaccine of the century, even at "just" 30-40% effectiveness.

This is the vaccine research that Bill Gates has been pouring money into - I wonder if there's a conspiracy to ge microchips / 5G / Human Magnetism into African children? Or is it just idiots with smartphones who need to be chipped?
One key fact here is that this has very little benefit to the western world. One of the biggest issues with malaria has been that western medical companies have had little incentive to pour money at the problem. The fact that a vaccine has been developed for a disease that predominantly affects poor, African people is a good sign that some people with money and influence are trying to make the world a better place as a whole. Yes I'm sure they will still make a profit, but it's more than others have done.

Which Tyler

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

One key fact here is that this has very little benefit to the western world. One of the biggest issues with malaria has been that western medical companies have had little incentive to pour money at the problem. The fact that a vaccine has been developed for a disease that predominantly affects poor, African people is a good sign that some people with money and influence are trying to make the world a better place as a whole. Yes I'm sure they will still make a profit, but it's more than others have done.
And I would genuinely applaud Bill Gates for his investments here.
Probably the single best example of billionaire ego-philanthropy; far, far better than going to space (though one of those 3 at least is doing so to gather good science as well as boosting his already-massive ego - even if the ultimate purpose is to build a bond-villain lair on Mars)

1/3 feels instinctively about where I am at the moment; I hadn't realised that there was actually a recommended reduction (obviously, overall). It's always seems to me like the claims have been pretty close to all-or-nothing "If you're not fully vegetarian, then why even bother" "If you still eat fish or dairy, then you're a failure" (same for those who reduce rather than quit smoking, or drinking). I've always felt messaging was counter-productive.
Better for 1 million people to make a 10% reduction, than a thousand people make a 100% reduction.

Last edited:

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

Hong Kong

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

For health reasons I need to now cut down on meat but also saturated fat in general. Accumulation over the years of has raised my cholesterol to above normal.

Just need to bulk up more on the veggies. Treat meat more as more of luxury and treat than just the norm in my case but I am at a different stage of my life compared to a 20 year old who likes to gorge themselves on McDonald’s every other day. Not gonna totally give up meat in my diet. And if it helps the environment so much the better.

Latest posts