• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Health News

Impacts Rugby players as well of course. I believe Kolisi is recovering from his operation back in May. Doubt it was a full rupture if he is due back in time for the RWC, but have my doubts how match fit he will be.

Why spending more on hospitals won't fix the NHS

Good article if you can access it behind the paywall. Basically arguing that the NHS has become the National Hospital Service rather than National Health service and not giving enough resources to primary care regardless of what Rishi is attempting to do with his so called Plan.

The days of relying on it for everything are long gone and peeps have to take preemptive action of looking after themselves more in terms of what they eat/drink and exercise.

Try https://archive.ph/H5sPe#selection-1081.116-1081.289.

I particularly like the line "We need to give people more and we need to expect more from people. Instead of a model of medical experts handing pills to passive patients, there should be a partnership.". There are far too many people who seem to think that they can do whatever they want to their bodies with impunity and that the magic pill-dispensing people will wave a magic wand and make it all better. The bit about sweating assets like MRI scanners is one that I've made many times in the past too.

Try https://archive.ph/H5sPe#selection-1081.116-1081.289.

I particularly like the line "We need to give people more and we need to expect more from people. Instead of a model of medical experts handing pills to passive patients, there should be a partnership.". There are far too many people who seem to think that they can do whatever they want to their bodies with impunity and that the magic pill-dispensing people will wave a magic wand and make it all better. The bit about sweating assets like MRI scanners is one that I've made many times in the past too.
While I agree people need to look after themselves more, I don't agree with money wouldn't help. They have underfunded the NHS for years and I honestly think it's on purpose to let it die. It's the typical tory pattern: Defund, demoralise, sell off.

If the NHS goes, loads will die as many have very serious conditions that they simply won't be able to afford. That I'm sure of. Privatisation doesn't and has never worked.

Tbh I looked at banning cigarettes at my student union back in uni, but sales were like 7%-9% of total sales in the union shop. Loss of income is huge when so many people smoke, it's hard for those in power to give it up.
I am thinking the same for petrol and diesel. Governments (not just ours) will have a hard time getting people out of their combustion engine vehicles with the loss of revenue that it generates and replacing it. 60% we pay at the pump is basically tax.

Tbh I looked at banning cigarettes at my student union back in uni, but sales were like 7%-9% of total sales in the union shop. Loss of income is huge when so many people smoke, it's hard for those in power to give it up.
Presumably, your shop wasn't responsible for paying the costs of selling tobacco though. If the cost to the business was greater that the revenue that it generated, you might have looked at the decision differently.

I am thinking the same for petrol and diesel. Governments (not just ours) will have a hard time getting people out of their combustion engine vehicles with the loss of revenue that it generates and replacing it. 60% we pay at the pump is basically tax.
Nail on the head. I've not seen any explanation as to how they will recover the lost income. I can see why they kicked 2030 down the road. They have no idea how to increase the lost revenue. The likes of Shell / Bp etc are not suddenly going to take a hit on at pump sales.

Also currently no city / town has any where near the infrastructure for a mass switch to EV's.

My dentist stopped seeing NHS patients this year, and another one here stopped after COVID - there's now only one NHS dentist serving the whole city + surrounding areas, completely untenable
My dentist said it was because they couldn't find any new dentists willing to take NHS patients - they needed two and could find zero

Latest posts