Hear me now, believe me later...

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-u...ight-trial-rise-concussion-rate-championship/

Not to be a prick, but have I not been predicting this for a number of years?

picard-facepalm.jpg

Tom Palmer went on a big rant about this on Twitter the other week, just after the RFU released their injury stats.
He's a defence coach these days and was saying more concussions come from a knee to the head then a shoulder to the head - and the stats proved it

Tom Palmer went on a big rant about this on Twitter the other week, just after the RFU released their injury stats.
He's a defence coach these days and was saying more concussions come from a knee to the head then a shoulder to the head - and the stats proved it

But doesn't this also have something to do with the player's tackling technique?? I mean it's one of the first things you learn as a kid when you start playing rugby, keep your head safe, drive with your shoulder wrap your arms around the player...

Seems to me these articles are only looking at one area of the issue, and not all of them...

But doesn't this also have something to do with the player's tackling technique?? I mean it's one of the first things you learn as a kid when you start playing rugby, keep your head safe, drive with your shoulder wrap your arms around the player...

Seems to me these articles are only looking at one area of the issue, and not all of them...

Yes, you try to lasso tackle "cheek to cheek", but that's in a sterilised drill situation, not an actual game.
It's also not when someone is running straight towards you, and a low tackle is out of the question, for obvious (apparently not to all people) reasons.

Aye, he wasn't saying ban low tackles more that world rugby should be focusing on the real issues rather than demonizing things like seat belt tackles and patting themselves on the back for banning people committing them while players get serious injuries flinging themselves at people's ankles

I'm another statistic here, I took a concussion that had me seeing double six months later and I didn't play for a couple of years on the back of it. That was from a knee to my head in a totally conventional tackle that I got slightly wrong.

But the stats from the study didn't see a rise due to head to knee/hip but due to both tackler and ball carrier going low, increasing likelihood of head on head. This was especially prevalent around the ruck with short carries off 9. This is why the trial is undertaken to look at the potential unintended consequences of any change.

I cant help wondering if the trial is not too short for people to adjust their technique to the new rules. Not saying it will, i just dont know.

I understand the reasons and i would probably take the same decision had i been in their shoes.
The question is, i'll word it differently, isn't it sometimes expectable for the number of injuries to overshoot when you change the rules? Especially on something as technical as tackling. Adaptation here is basically trial and error. I would expect the number of errors to increase before people perfect their technique.
Having said that, 40% looks intuitively like a monstrous increase.

I understand the reasons and i would probably take the same decision had i been in their shoes.
The question is, i'll word it differently, isn't it sometimes expectable for the number of injuries to overshoot when you change the rules? Especially on something as technical as tackling. Adaptation here is basically trial and error. I would expect the number of errors to increase before people perfect their technique.
Having said that, 40% looks intuitively like a monstrous increase.

I agree with your points. Especially as this change was put in place only for one of the competitions they were playing

Latest posts