Hear me now, believe me later...

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by ratsapprentice, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ratsapprentice

ratsapprentice Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Tom Palmer went on a big rant about this on Twitter the other week, just after the RFU released their injury stats.
    He's a defence coach these days and was saying more concussions come from a knee to the head then a shoulder to the head - and the stats proved it

4. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

But doesn't this also have something to do with the player's tackling technique?? I mean it's one of the first things you learn as a kid when you start playing rugby, keep your head safe, drive with your shoulder wrap your arms around the player...

Seems to me these articles are only looking at one area of the issue, and not all of them...

5. ratsapprentice

ratsapprentice Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

Yes, you try to lasso tackle "cheek to cheek", but that's in a sterilised drill situation, not an actual game.
    It's also not when someone is running straight towards you, and a low tackle is out of the question, for obvious (apparently not to all people) reasons.

6. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Aye, he wasn't saying ban low tackles more that world rugby should be focusing on the real issues rather than demonizing things like seat belt tackles and patting themselves on the back for banning people committing them while players get serious injuries flinging themselves at people's ankles

• Like Like x 2
  7. Old Hooker

Old Hooker Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

I’m another statistic here, I took a concussion that had me seeing double six months later and I didn’t play for a couple of years on the back of it. That was from a knee to my head in a totally conventional tackle that I got slightly wrong.

8. stus768

stus768 Senior Member

But the stats from the study didn’t see a rise due to head to knee/hip but due to both tackler and ball carrier going low, increasing likelihood of head on head. This was especially prevalent around the ruck with short carries off 9. This is why the trial is undertaken to look at the potential unintended consequences of any change.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur Senior Member

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

I cant help wondering if the trial is not too short for people to adjust their technique to the new rules. Not saying it will, i just dont know.

10. stus768

stus768 Senior Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47000468

40% increase in concussions. Maybe thought it was unethica/dangerousl to continue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur Senior Member

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

I understand the reasons and i would probably take the same decision had i been in their shoes.
    The question is, i'll word it differently, isn't it sometimes expectable for the number of injuries to overshoot when you change the rules? Especially on something as technical as tackling. Adaptation here is basically trial and error. I would expect the number of errors to increase before people perfect their technique.
    Having said that, 40% looks intuitively like a monstrous increase.

• Like Like x 2
  12. stus768

stus768 Senior Member

I agree with your points. Especially as this change was put in place only for one of the competitions they were playing

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!