• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HEC ¼ Final - Biarritz v Sale

A

An Tarbh

Sale make the trip to the North of Spain thanks to their capitulation at Thomond Park in the final pool match. However they should travel with reasonable confidence following their snatch and grab job at London Irish on Saturday.

Biarritz will be brimming though on their return to San Sebastien where they enjoyed a memorable victory over the perennial Bridesmades Munster in last seasons quarter final.

Biarritz seem to be gathering momentum after their customary opening day defeat and should have too much for this talented Sale outfit.

Originally posted by loratadine@Mar 27 2006, 05:14 PM
robinson and cueto look likely to miss the game
From sky sports;

Fears grow for injured Sharks

cueto_mark.jpg

Mark Cueto and Jason Robinson remain major doubts for Sale Sharks, as the club approaches arguably the most important match of its history.

Sale travel to Biarritz for a place in the last four of the Heineken Cup on Sunday, knowing they will have to be at their very best to beat the French champions.

Cueto is attracting most concern amongst club doctors, as he continues to suffer from heavy swelling around his ankle after a freak landing during the weekend clash with London Irish.

The 26-year-old leapt to claim what seemed like a routine catch, before he fell awkwardly on an inflatable advertising sign.

Cueto, who has scored 11 tries in just 16 appeaances for England, is one of Sale's undoubted match-winners, but fears are increasing overances for England, is one of Sale's over his availability.

Commenting on the British and Irish Lions duo, Sharks' media and PR manager Dave Swanton revealed: "Cueto's more of a doubt.

"It's not a break and not ligament damage. Mark's a fighter and he wants to play."

Robinson left the pitch after only 18 minutes of Sale's 29-21 win against the Exiles, complaining of a heavy blow to his hip.

The nature of the injury suggests that rest will allow the pain to subside in time for the former England man to feature, but head coach Philippe Saint-Andre will be anxiously awaiting the duo's progress over the next few days.

Sale lack quality strength in depth past their starting XV, highlighted by the recent Premiership defeat to lowly Saracens during the Six Nations period.

Chris Mayor and scrum half Sililo Martens were called upon to fill the shoes of Cueto and Robinson at the Madejski Stadium, but Saint-Andre will be desperate to have his key duo available as he returns to his native homeland.

----------------------------------------

Without Robinson, their fooked. Unless Rasberry decides he can catch a ball that is.

Well it was always going to be an uphill task but if those 2 are out then I wouldn't be backing Sale on Sunday.

I'd love to be an optimistic sale fan, but i can't be without cueto and robbo. Mayor is a good winger but only with cueto at 14. He can't be a potent threat without them in the back three.

BM

I'd be under the opinion that the back 3 would be mayor, hanley and ripol. While i think they are good players, without the bigger two they are likely to get exposed. We really need Robbo, Cueto wouldn't be as bigger blow. Also i have seen somewhere that Sheridan is unlikely to play.

Its a real bummer, when we finally get the knockout stage, half the squad takes a knockout.

Anyone know whether Chabal's ban is still in existence and whether it covers HEC?

Also any news of Larrachea, not seen him for yonks.

BM

i feel sorry for sale they have lost some of the big guns chabal, cueto and robinson (cueto may recover and robinson) it will be one almighty task for sale to win this match

Chabal has no right to complain though, he got off lucky with his ban. Great player, but it was just stupid and pathetic what he did.

I agree, with Sale going through such an important period really needed him to support the 2nd string (which showed against saracens when we ***terell at flanker). While also being a ball carrier in the big games. The sending off was something that could have been avoided, nothing was done for the team.

Chump.

BM

Going down to Edgeley Park to watch the game on a big screen, don't have Sky Sports see.

At least we have a full back three. Bit surprised to see Larrachea picked over Hanley. After the great performance against Irish for Hanley. I have never rated Larrachea.Maybe it is the french connection.

Anyway I hope this will be our biggest performance, after that rather limp fish against Munster.

City of Manchester Stadium here we come!!

BM

I'd say there could be plenty of whingeing and rightly so from Sale if they lose this one over Andrew Sherridan, Saint-André doens't seem best pleased anyway.

Damp squib of a match to be honest, some real poor decision making from Robinson, too many kicks turned down for Hodgson. Biarritz didn't look that impressive but the fact that they've got a home semi final should still see them going to Cardiff, don't think they'll play that poorly again.

It was an awful match, really, worse than Tigers V Bath. Sale displayed a total lack of big game experience and collectively choked.

I feel a hell of a lot better now about Bath's chances than I did a couple of hours ago. Biarritz will go into the semi as definate favourites, but if it comes down to grinding out a result, we've got plenty of experience doing that.

mark cueto ate sereli bobos dust the whole time he was playing

hahaha @ englands backline

Latest posts