HEC XVs: Final and Tournament

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Will Greenwoods Heineken Cup picks of the season.

After a thrilling tournament Toulouse made history by winning the Heineken Cup for the fourth time while Biarritz were once again left wondering what could have been.
We have seen it all this tournament - 16 men of the pitch, missed drop goals that broke a clubs heart and who will forget the masked marvel that was Imanol Harinordoquy?
Will Greenwood watched every moment of the action and picks his Heineken Cup picks of the season.

william-servat-toulouse-2010_2456288.jpg

Servat: A huge contribution for Toulouse

Team: Treviso. The Italians gave everyone a rough ride in Pool One that included Munster, Northampton and Perpignan. They stunned Perpignan in the first round with a 9-8 win and pushed the Saints close on both occasions. Ultimately they were let down by a lack of concentration at crucial moments and their lack of regular strong opponents showed in the latter half of the games where they started to miss a few tackles. However they played some good rugby and definitely played their part in a highly entertaining competition.

Player of tournament: Toulouse hooker William Servat was in absolutely formidable form and left a trail of world class reputations in his wake. He just seems to get better with age and will be a huge bonus for France if they can keep him fir for the World Cup.

Try of tournament: Paul Warwick. Northampton had felt they had let Munster off the hook the last time they were hosted at Thomond Park, but with a semi-final place up for grabs, Munster were in no mood to be generous this time again. They set down their marker as early as the fourth minute as Paul Warwick glided over for a beautiful try. The pack set the scene with some solid drives before the ball went wide to Keith Earls who stood up the Saints defence with a clever inside step. The move gave Warwick an inch more space and he beat the desperate cover tackle to score.

Moment of the tournament: The scrum is what Toulouse built their fourth ***le on and they have certainly brought the scrummaging back into fashion! Every time they packed down you could feel the expectation from their fans. As a unit they were unmovable and as individuals unstoppable.

Villain: Brock James: Some players dream of that moment where one play will define their playing career. Unfortunately for Brock James his one play will be remembered as a nightmare. His inability to seize the moment and land the drop goal against Leinster in the semi-finals denied Clermont glory as i believe they would have won tournament if drop goal gone over.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,15723_6171490,00.html

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16017_6169817,00.html

Now that the dust has settled in Paris, Planet Rugby thought it was only right to hail the standout performers of the 2009/10 Heineken Cup.

In its celebratory fifteenth year, the chase for European club rugby's most coveted prize was always going to become a special one at Stade de France - and the fact that is was an all-French affair just added an extra something to the day.

But in the end Toulouse were just too strong for their Top 14 rivals and ran out worthy winners despite a late surge from the gutsy Biarrots.

So where to start, the Team of the Final or the 2009/10 Tournament? Well we have gone with the former first up before naming our XV of 2010. Comments and your own line-ups are most welcome as everyone is entitled to voice their view and/or selections. Enjoy and once again congratulations to Guy Novès and Toulouse!

XV of the Heineken Cup Final:

15 Iain Balshaw (Biarritz) - His opposite was unusually quiet in Paris while the England man got through plenty of work both saving a try by felling Maxime Médard and also offering a decent amount in attack.

14 Takudzwa Ngwenya (Biarritz) - The USA Eagle proved once again to Biarritz that he was worth the gamble they took on him after World Cup 2007. He was always a threat when his team-mates managed to go wide.

13 Florian Fritz (Toulouse) - Most definitely our man-of-the-match. Fritz kicked a 55-metre penalty before landing a drop on the half-time whistle to send his team to the sheds ahead. But carrying was his main weapon for Toulouse.

12 Yannick Jauzion (Toulouse) - While not one of his best games in rouge et noir, 'Mr. Glue' quietly went about his business making tackles, claiming Skrela's high kicks and keeping Mignardi and Hunt locked up until it was all too late at Stade de France. The former did come close to taking this one mind.

11 Maxime Médard (Toulouse) - Apart from fumbling at the vital time early into the second period, Médard was his usual potent best on Saturday. The youngster's constant tracking of Fritz often made ten metres into 20.

10 David Skrela (Toulouse) - No time wasted over this decision. Full marks.

9 Byron Kelleher (Toulouse) - It was tough to snub the metronomic Dimitri Yachvili but the All Black nine's physicality around the base and decision-making of when to put his team on the front-foot and when to go back to Skrela for the drop meant he got the nod.

8 Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz) - He played a level up wearing the mask before it was thrown away for the second-half, commanding the air at both line-out and in open play. But he just edges the workmanlike Shaun Sowerby to our number eight slot, who covered a lot of ground on Saturday.

7 Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse) - A captain's effort yet again from Dusautoir. His balance alongside Jean Bouilhou was coolness personified while his tackle count was right up there with our Viking-like number six.

6 Magnus Lund (Biarritz) - The former Sale workhorse did very little wrong behind a tight five that was always going backwards at scrum-time. He must have been good to shake off a busy Bouilhou for this jersey.

5 Jérôme Thion (Biarritz) - While rival Patricio Albacete was impressive, his yellow card could have cost his side so Thion's carrying sees him sneak the jersey to break up Toulouse's tight-five dominance.

4 Romain Millo-Chluski (Toulouse) - He did what was asked by Guy Novès. The international lock forward brought the physical and was a big reason why that fine Toulouse pack found themselves on the front foot throughout.

3 Benoit Lecouls (Toulouse) - The scrum, enough said.

2 William Servat (Toulouse) - Benoit August did a lot of good things for BO but Servat's work around the park saw him earn a standing ovation from his followers. Now for a well-earned rest during the June Tests as the hooker takes a breather ahead of next season.

1 Jean-Baptiste Poux (Toulouse) - See tighthead prop.

............................................................................................................................................................

And so we come to our Heineken Cup XV of the Tournament that was judged on number of appearances in our selections throughout the tournament. Let the mailbox fun begin!

HEC XV of 2009/10:
15 Clément Poitrenaud (Toulouse),
14 Tommy Bowe (Ospreys),
13 Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster),
12 Yannick Jauzion (Toulouse),
11 Chris Ashton (Northampton),
10 David Skrela (Toulouse),
9 Dimitri Yachvili (Biarritz),
8 Jamie Heaslip (Leinster),
7 Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse),
6 Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz),
5 Patricio Albacete (Toulouse),
4 Jamie Cudmore (Clermont),
3 Benoit Lecouls (Toulouse),
2 William Servat (Toulouse),
1 Soane Tong'uiha (Northampton).

Skrela? really? Anyhoo, a couple requests:

1. Can anyone point me to a Magners League and a Top 14 Team of the Season link?

2. Where can I find the planet rugby HEC tean of the week selections?

What a terrible XV for tournent

No Munster despite making Semi final
No Ben Foden
David Skrela at 10

Like I could keep going on but I won't

Good to see Takudzwa Ngwenya got a mention this lad has really come on this season.

What a terrible XV for tournent

No Munster despite making Semi final
No Ben Foden
David Skrela at 10

Like I could keep going on but I won't

Nobody stoodout for Munster over the whole tournament (except Earles, who was still a long way from anywhere near the tournament XV)
Foden blew hot and cold, but misses out more then anything else because has the Saints v Munster at FG monkey on his back.
Skrela won the tournament. Who was a better 10 then he?

Nobody stoodout for Munster over the whole tournament (except Earles, who was still a long way from anywhere near the tournament XV)
Foden blew hot and cold, but misses out more then anything else because has the Saints v Munster at FG monkey on his back.
Skrela won the tournament. Who was a better 10 then he?[/QUOTE]

ROG if you you dont agree he will write a letter to you

Well I'd argue over the season ROG Sexton and Brock James are 3 that impresses.

Bullitt I diagree as I think after slow start ROG had very good season, Wallace played well as did Warwick and Earls as mentioned but Alan Quinlan in my view can feel really disappointed as he was excellent all season

Also in Leinster I'm sure Nacewa can feel bit ticked off as I thought he had/is having good season

Skrela won the tournament. Who was a better 10 then he?[/QUOTE]

ROG if you you dont agree he will write a letter to you

:lol:

MM - O'Gara may have had an okay season, but he was **** poor for the first few pool games and certainly didn't do them (Munster) any favours in the semi. Same for Sexton, although the only standout game of his to note was at Twickenham. Wallace was okay and Quinlan was overhyped as per usual - Certainly not a patch on Harinordoquy,Dusautoir or Heaslip.

Skrela may have been a bit dull, but he always did everything to perfection. Plus nobody could have asked more of him in the final.

Skrela did nothing wrong, which was enough to take the 10 spot this year. Much like Stephen Jones and the Lions really. A safe pair at hands who is decent at kicking the ball is pretty much all that is needed.

I can't think of a Munster player I'd have in th XV really. surprised that Drico got in there and delighted for Heaslip, was immense all year round in pretty much every game. More of the same in the summer please Jamie.

Cant agree with that team lads,
I think at least 1 Munster player should've made it,
Ashton has had a great season but in the big games in Europe he wasn't special
Skrela was struggling to make Toulouse team at stage in season
Just can't agree with it and Traille in my opinion was a major part of gettin Biarritz to the final yet he isn't included

No Munster players were good enough. There were some excellent performances no doubt, think Denis Leamy in Stade Aimé Giral or Marcus Horan in the QF. Or pretty much Paul Warwick. Hang on, Warwick is actually a good shout team of the tournament haha :) Hope he tears it up for the BaaBaas :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Aimé_Giral

Quinlan May not be good enough for the 15 but he is deefinatly under rated. he is a feirce player but is very smart. Skrella was the best 10 IMO. I find Ashton has very much to learn makes many mistakes when under preasure. the best players play consistant rugby but play their best when their team is falling behind which is why Heaslip is so good.

Skrela done good - hopefully France take him back and ... go on to screw things up again.

Most interesting comment from Greenwood was that the scrum is back. Been noticing that for a while - some refs have been allowing the greater props make **** of the lesser all season. Great, but not much fun when the t'other side's fancy backs depend on clean ball from the scrum. Select a ******* front row!

Skrela was good in this final, but the 2 or 3 good performances he made this year are not enough IMO to be confident to acceed the 10 position for France, even as a spare one.
Still a good defender, solid in attack to ham the line, but not mentaly strong to organise the game under pressure, moreover if he also has to kick for scoring.

Maybe can deserve a 12 behind Jauzion

Latest posts