• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heinekec Cup 2013/14 Pool 3, Round 5 (Toulouse v Saracens, Connacht v Zebre)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeFrenchy

First XV
Country Flag
France
Heineken%20Cup.png

Pool Three, Round Five​
Toulouse.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Saracens.png

Connacht.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Zebre.png

The teams:
Toulouse: 15 Maxime Médard, 14 Yoann Huget, 13 Yann David, 12 Clement Poitrenaud , 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Jean-Marc Doussain, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Thierry Dusautoir (c), 6 Yannick Nyanga, 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Yoann Maestri, 3 Census Johnston, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle , 1 Schalk Ferriera.Replacements: 16 Christopher Tolofua, 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 18 Yohan Montes, 19 Romain Millo-Chluski, 20 Joe Tekori, 21 Yacouba Camara, 22 Sebastian Bézy, 23 Gael Fickou,

Saracens: 15 Alex Goode, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Chris Wyles, 12 Brad Barritt, 11 David Strettle, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Neil de Kock, 8 Billy Vunipola, 7 Kelly Brown, 6 Jackson Wray, 5 Alistair Hargreaves, 4 Steve Borthwick ©, 3 James Johnston, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Mako Vunipola.
Replacements: 16 Jamie George, 17 Richard Barrington, 18 Matt Stevens, 19 George Kruis, 20 Ernst Joubert, 21 Richard Wigglesworth, 22 Charlie Hodgson, 23 Duncan Taylor.
So Toulouse are playing their top team, with Fickou not starting looking like a tactical choice, while it looks like Ferreira is better than Steenkamp in the eyes of Novès and Servat. The same for Ralepelle over Tolofua, but that one seems less surprising. It's in their hands to practically ensure a top place of the pool, and probably a home QF. Toulouse have not been playing well this season, but I think they'll take this one.

Overall I think it's safe to say Toulouse hasn't played up to their potential, and have clearly not been consistent at all. That much is clear.
But they did beat the Saracens in Wembley, even though they hadn't at the time and still haven't won in the Top 14 away from home. So quite a feat, beating the leading Prem team in an away fixture.

But they're exactly the kind of team that can handle the hard part and then fail to insure the easier test. And though they've lost to Connacht at home, that was a complete anomaly and they looked like they just weren't interested up until it was too late. They won't make that mistake here. I'm going to go and say victory for the Stade Toulousain.

Toulouse are always good for the big games which is right up their street, not playing great this season but when the H Cup comes around they normally deliver, and obviously they will get right into the face of Farell who seems to bottle under pressure. Win for Toulouse. You only have to look at the Toulouse bench they would be starters for most teams today, the first hour will probably be fairly even but when the changes begin to ring, Toulouse will step up the pace and come out winners.

Last edited:
Sarries need to get rid of Ashton asap, he's flat out refusing to tackle Gear - he backs right off hoping someone else is around to make his tackle for him.

Bring on Taylor to the centre and move Wyles out wide.

How was that yellow? What did I miss?

It was a team yellow,
Sarries have been infringing at the ruck a load.

Toulouse too good for Sarries once again Farell bottles under pressure and Toulouse show their big match game worthy winners and as per usual Ashton shows what a Richard he really is.!!!!!!!!!!!

How did Farrell bottle it? :huh:
Did you actually watch the game or just look at the full time score?

Not upset that we lost but I am frustrated with our defensive effort in the last 10, we should have gotten away with the BP. Dussain was in form which killed us with all the dumb pens we conceded.

Oh well, we have Connacht next week who I don't see us struggling against.

great win for Toulouse :)))) They havent been firing on all cylinders but they know when to raise their game. And u can bet Noves revved them up all week. They need to convert all the breaks they make into tries. Saracens defense was huge. Great to see 3 Top14 teams qualify for QFs with almost guaranteed home draws.

Saracens' perpetual problem.

They are masters of efficiency... they start the league in 4th gear and finish it in 4th gear.
Which is why they are consistently at the top of the table.

Their issue is that they cannot go into 5th or 6th... while teams in Europe and in the Premiership playoffs inevitably do!

Toulouse too good for Sarries once again Farell bottles under pressure and Toulouse show their big match game worthy winners and as per usual Ashton shows what a Richard he really is.!!!!!!!!!!!

Must say I thought Farrell was ok.

Saracens' perpetual problem.

They are masters of efficiency... they start the league in 4th gear and finish it in 4th gear.
Which is why they are consistently at the top of the table.

Their issue is that they cannot go into 5th or 6th... while teams in Europe and in the Premiership playoffs inevitably do!

a fine point to make. for a rat's apprentice.
Seriously though, well pointed out.

Gotta respect the Saracens. They scored the only try of the game, English style - no nonsense, simple and effective. They looked some times like they just had to throw just a couple of passes until
they found a hole effectively, while Toulouse had lots of flair but lacked finish time and time again.
Big respect out to the Saracens' defense particularly. Toulouse, like the first match between these two, came to play. Nothing like the Connacht accident. And the Sarries held, and held, and held. Three to four times, for sure Toulouse were there for a certain score, and were held every single time. It's quite something they actually didn't manage to score a try.

Big respect out for Toulouse too. They beat the Sarries in both venues. Great feat for Toulouse against a very good team, especially given how Toulouse hasn't always been present this year.

Must say I thought Farrell was ok.

He was totally outplayed by Doussain from tackling, kicking out of hand, breaks......and he was taken off for a 36 year old when he could not galvanise or bring some order to Saracens...not one of his finest!!

Toulouse have so flattered to deceive this and last season but they have worked out how to play Saracens......they flooded the breakdown, smothered their backs and defended like crazy allowing themselves to play for position and only run ball very occasionally. Despite being beaten at the scrum, ST were dominant and their field kicking was some of the best I have seen all season....can they play the attacking game they will need to win it? Do not know...but looking forward to finding out!!

Oh yeah and Sarries scrum was really good. Toulouse got out-scrummed, not to a comical point, but very consistently. ST only got a few fine nudges but it was all Saracens up front. Then again the scrum has been something to look out for for Toulouse this whole season...not a strength, unfortunately.

Picamoles looked powerful, but B.Vunipola looked the most damaging with ball in hand. To be noted: he does have 10 kgs on Picamoles...when you think about it, a 125kg no. 8, wtf :D

Médard and Huget were fantastic throughout, gotta love that pair. Médard always a fantastic fit for the 15 jersey.

Speaking of which: I decidedly don't like Poitrenaud at midfield. Doesn't offer anything there, and all his qualities fit the 15 jersey. Just a waste overall, really just a filling role.

Hosea Gear with two huge breaks and resulting runs. Incredible neither of those plays culminated in a try. Again, superb defense from the English.

But 'the man' to me was Doussain. Love this guy.
A 174cm guy tackling a big lock efficiently and bringing him to the ground emphatically, you srs ?? Had to look again to see it was little JMD. He was fantastic overall, and a true versatile half-back unlike others who take credit for being that but usually lack a lot at either position (9 or 10). The guy is really a class 10, it's clear now. He was even making some nice meters on the impacts he's so compact and robust. And of course: the penalty kicks. What a relief to see him kick some. Most were easy, but he kicked very well still. Ahead of the stressfully imminent 6N, it's nice to see a legit option on form like that.

Ashton was a total shhit yet again. What an embarrassment. You'd think he'd want to wash away some of his past criticism and really really work on his flaws and show the haters and doubters wrong, but he's still the same mediocre winger dude. Missing easy tackles, not giving a challenge at all one-on-one against the opposing winger, not creating anything on attack...eh whatever English fans, you've got that guy to drag along but at least England is winning these days :p

Last edited:
How did Farrell bottle it? :huh:
Did you actually watch the game or just look at the full time score?

Watched all the game as in France we have nearly all the games live, and Farell was completely outplayed by Dousain, he went into his shell and never existed, as far as a decent attacking no.10 he was nowhere to be seen, his only asset was his goal kicking. Once again Sarries were totally outplayed by Toulouse and they deserve their 1/4 final place. Three French teams already in the quarters with perhaps all getting a home tie. Wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was totally outplayed by Doussain from tackling, kicking out of hand, breaks......and he was taken off for a 36 year old when he could not galvanise or bring some order to Saracens...not one of his finest!!
That's just how farrell plays.
Just because he was outplayed doesn't mean he bottled it.
And what has Hodgsons age got to do with anything? He's still one of the best attacking 10s in the game. It's like saying Giteau is sh*t because he got replaced by Wilkinson after 60+mins in a game.

That's just how farrell plays. Just because he was outplayed doesn't mean he bottled it.

If that comment was addressed to me....please set out where I said he bottled it? I pointed out that he was ouplayed and substituted and it was not one of his finest games..............

As for Hodgson's age...that was to emphasise that, basically, the "No 1" England choice was subbed for an ageing England reject (or retiree from which ever viewpoint one cares to look at it) because his team felt he was not up to the job!

Or because Saracens have a rotation policy, which they do, and have done for a long time.
Hodgson isn't a reject either, as he retired when he was starting/benching every game, when fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts