Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
1670862793269.png

Screenshot_20221213-120614_Chrome.jpg

Just had a look at the current odds put of curiosity. Not a whole lot of value but Montpellier at 16/1 seems like an outlier. Might stick a 5er on them, would back them ahead of Sarries and Racing this year anyway.

Ok, I'm going to watch harlequins vs racing 92; like me some Quins and some Russell. Might watch Leinster. Would like to watch a game with a South African team but which one?

Was very disappointed in the stormers last week; they were poor. Will they be better? Or should I give my time to another team?

Ok, I'm going to watch harlequins vs racing 92; like me some Quins and some Russell. Might watch Leinster. Would like to watch a game with a South African team but which one?

Was very disappointed in the stormers last week; they were poor. Will they be better? Or should I give my time to another team?
Think Exeter v Bulls will be a pretty tasty game. Think they're at a similar level and have relatively similar approaches to the game.

Hoping Munster can put out a statement performance on Saints. Not dissing Saints, but if we want to have a shot this year we need to win and win well.

I would like to think our attack and attitude.. and execution in general would be a lot better than the 2nd half vs Clermont but we have been a tad hit and miss in general this year. I wouldn't want to waste your time though. We'll be at home at least. Think they are keeping Roos on ice but the others who stayed on in SA should be available.

Think Exeter v Bulls will be a pretty tasty game. Think they're at a similar level and have relatively similar approaches to the game.

Hoping Munster can put out a statement performance on Saints. Not dissing Saints, but if we want to have a shot this year we need to win and win well.
The Bulls are sending the same complete second string side to face Exeter that faced Lyon.

The entirety of their first choice side stays in SA, maybe sparing them for URC games? Maybe for the return leg?

Would like to watch a game with a South African team but which one?

Was very disappointed in the stormers last week; they were poor.
Similar view as above, think Stormers will be better this weekend. Last weekend would be the first time most of those players played below ten degrees, let alone close to zero. But we have been up and down all season… at the very least they've been consistent at home.

Bulls has very much sent their B team. They got the win at home, but I don't know if that's going to be a great one, they've also toured really poorly this season so far.

Sharks is an interesting one. Begles I don't know enough about where they are in terms of competitiveness, but that Sharks team is stacked with talent, and should hopefully be performing a bit better now with a new coaching setup.

Stormers probably win if they don't play Blommetjies. Clermont found a way to isolate Raka against him. Not playing defense can work in URC but when you face Penaud and Raka you have to have a game plan. Irish doesn't have small wingers but they aren't as dynamic so I think Stormers should be fine.

No Saints are poor, so I expect Munster to win comfortably.

I would like to think our attack and attitude.. and execution in general would be a lot better than the 2nd half vs Clermont but we have been a tad hit and miss in general this year. I wouldn't want to waste your time though. We'll be at home at least. Think they are keeping Roos on ice but the others who stayed on in SA should be available.
I think you are overrating the stormers first half performance tbh, in reality clermont we're poor in the first half. To give them their dues their defence was good, but the stormers were disjointed, making poor decisions and not supporting the decisions of their fellow players, making them seem even poorer. For example jantjies; was poor, but when he made poor decisions to run, no one even tried to secure the next ruck.

I think you are overrating the stormers first half performance tbh, in reality clermont we're poor in the first half. To give them their dues their defence was good, but the stormers were disjointed, making poor decisions and not supporting the decisions of their fellow players, making them seem even poorer. For example jantjies; was poor, but when he made poor decisions to run, no one even tried to secure the next ruck.
Jantjies seems to have unfortunately lost his confidence and I think is probably the worst SH of all the SA teams (backups at each team included).

The Stormers seems to be a fickle bunch of player, never get the sense that they will completely dominate a game, but they have been on a very good run, taking wins even when not playing well so I will give them that. Was it not almost a one year winning streak from them?

Similar view as above, think Stormers will be better this weekend. Last weekend would be the first time most of those players played below ten degrees, let alone close to zero. But we have been up and down all season… at the very least they've been consistent at home.

Bulls has very much sent their B team. They got the win at home, but I don't know if that's going to be a great one, they've also toured really poorly this season so far.

Sharks is an interesting one. Begles I don't know enough about where they are in terms of competitiveness, but that Sharks team is stacked with talent, and should hopefully be performing a bit better now with a new coaching setup.
I also dont know much about the Begles, but I hear they are not too bad and that they made the top 14 Semi Final last year. Dont really know what to expect from them but it probably does not matter, we must just play our game as best we can and be clinical then the rest will sort itself out. Luckily the Sharks tour well, its nice not to play rugby in the humidity of Durban this time of the year.

Jantjies seems to have unfortunately lost his confidence and I think is probably the worst SH of all the SA teams (backups at each team included).

The Stormers seems to be a fickle bunch of player, never get the sense that they will completely dominate a game, but they have been on a very good run, taking wins even when not playing well so I will give them that. Was it not almost a one year winning
I would only really call Libbok and Willemse inconsistent. Well, Blommetjies as well I suppose. Most of the others if not on top are either limited (or at least not world class like Nel, Moerat etc) or off form (Roos, Jantjies).

We really are missing Gelant (as expected). Even so we've been punching well above our weight as a collective. If we are to repeat our successes I would say we need to develop our depth in key areas.
I would argue if Clermont were poor it was in large part due to our defense which has been top notch for a good time now. I would say its the fact that we started missing with the rush defense 2nd half and the plethora of unforced errors more than anything else- though in combination with Clermont getting up (though IMO its largely because our own intensity and accuracy went to pieces)- that saw us drop out of the match. We couldn't get any rhythm on attack in part due to Clermont's own effective rush but just as much the shear amount of unforced errors.

Gloucester putting out a bin juice side,
Leinster might hit triple figures

Sharks

15 Boeta Chamberlain, 14 Werner Kok, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Ben Tapuai, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Phepsi Buthelezi, 7 Vincent Tshituka, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Gerbrandt Grobler, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu

Substitutes: 16 Dan Jooste, 17 Dian Bleuler, 18 Hanro Jacobs, 19 Hyron Andrews, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Grant Williams, 22 Lionel Cronje, 23 Lukhanyo Am

Am being back albeit off the bench is huge for the Sharks. I really don't rate their backline as a unit but with Am as the glue things might happen in any case.

This Sharks side reminds me a lot of the Allister Coetzee Era Stormers. You have the Bok pack but no backline to work off that platform.

I mean, at one stage Stormers were putting out Kitshoff, Mbonambi, Malherbe or Koch or Louw with Etzebeth, PSdT, Kolisi and Vermeulen. No silverware..

Its hard to blame Glaws right? I get it ruins a game but I reckon they will fancy resting a number of lads away at Leinster have them back for the home game and go full bore whilst then backing it up at Bordeaux. Some ways clever game management.

However, it does leave a sour taste in the mouth but i get skivingtons logic.

Sharks

15 Boeta Chamberlain, 14 Werner Kok, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Ben Tapuai, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Phepsi Buthelezi, 7 Vincent Tshituka, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Gerbrandt Grobler, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu

Substitutes: 16 Dan Jooste, 17 Dian Bleuler, 18 Hanro Jacobs, 19 Hyron Andrews, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Grant Williams, 22 Lionel Cronje, 23 Lukhanyo Am

Am being back albeit off the bench is huge for the Sharks. I really don't rate their backline as a unit but with Am as the glue things might happen in any case.

This Sharks side reminds me a lot of the Allister Coetzee Era Stormers. You have the Bok pack but no backline to work off that platform.

I mean, at one stage Stormers were putting out Kitshoff, Mbonambi, Malherbe or Koch or Louw with Etzebeth, PSdT, Kolisi and Vermeulen. No silverware..
When Fassi is back then our backline is really dangerous, the last few years our backs have been the star players while the forwards were a little light after the departures of the Du Preez brothers.

Latest posts