• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup 22/23 - Round of 16

Oh Rhys Webb. That was a brain fart of the highest order.

Billy V showing exactly why he shouldn't be anywhere near the England setup. Lazy and mistaken ridden all through the game.

Oh Rhys Webb. That was a brain fart of the highest order.
It seems to be a regular occurrence for him. As much as WOL wax lyrical over him (and to be fair he's been good for Wales) they ignore the fact that for every one good thing he does for the Ospreys it's cancelled out by him throwing a stupid pass that gets intercepted. It seems like he does it every game.

PreEmIErsHip Is WeaKeR ThaN wE ThOuGht
Those 3 victorious Prem sides narrowly beat the 12th and 14th placed URC teams and a 14-man Montpellier, while 2nd placed Prem side Sale got knocked out by 10th placed URC side Cardiff. I'd say that is all evidence that we're pretty weak right now.

So Quarters we have
Prem: Tigers, Exeter, Sarries
URC: Leinster, Stormers, Sharks
Top 14: La Rochelle, Toulouse,

Pretty even in terms of teams innit
Honestly with how Chiefs have been going in the prem im surprised we made it even if they went down to 14. Still some good performances, Frost, Becconsall, Cairns, Wyatt all had good games and all players that have barely any prem experience(bar frost), all looked good in prem cup final win.

Issue is the other players who looked good were Kirsten SSimmonds JSimmonds Nowell, Ewers (when he came on) and all are leaving at the end of the season.

Can't see us getting any further unfortunatly and losing them players(and more) it will be a few seasons until we challenge again unless we sign some big names. Game next week at home is great for fans and finances(wish it wasnt a factor).

Not bleak just a rebuild.

My expectation for semi finals is:
Leinster vs Toulouse
Exeter Chiefs vs La Rochelle

Leinster to continue not losing at all this season. South African teams to lose after traveling poorly with both the Sharks and Stormers not being the best European travelers this season. (/SARUs stupid approach to have them travel via Qatar for games with economy seats) Then expect La Rochelle to get the win at home vs Saracens.

Honestly with how Chiefs have been going in the prem im surprised we made it even if they went down to 14. Still some good performances, Frost, Becconsall, Cairns, Wyatt all had good games and all players that have barely any prem experience(bar frost), all looked good in prem cup final win.

Issue is the other players who looked good were Kirsten SSimmonds JSimmonds Nowell, Ewers (when he came on) and all are leaving at the end of the season.

Can't see us getting any further unfortunatly and losing them players(and more) it will be a few seasons until we challenge again unless we sign some big names. Game next week at home is great for fans and finances(wish it wasnt a factor).

Not bleak just a rebuild.
I wouldn't be surprised if we (Stormers) fell out after the amount of travel our top players would have had to endure these last few weeks.

Still good to make top 8 first year in. We don't have the depth of the top sides to be able to cope with this level of demand. That's the only real thing that SR had over the URC/HC but with the way things are its not as if our test players were getting the benefit as half of them are based in Europe in any case. Thanks for having us.

Those 3 victorious Prem sides narrowly beat the 12th and 14th placed URC teams and a 14-man Montpellier, while 2nd placed Prem side Sale got knocked out by 10th placed URC side Cardiff. I'd say that is all evidence that we're pretty weak right now.
The reality is outside of Sarries and Exe (the year they did the double) premiership clubs haven't really looked like winning for a while and it's probably only got worse now they are facing far tighter salary caps than ever, as has been said the majority will probably chose to only compete on the premiership front now which I can fully understand.

Wow. Three English teams made it. After reading this thread you would think they would not be represented at all in the quarter finals!

My expectation for semi finals is:
Leinster vs Toulouse
Exeter Chiefs vs La Rochelle

Leinster to continue not losing at all this season. South African teams to lose after traveling poorly with both the Sharks and Stormers not being the best European travelers this season. (/SARUs stupid approach to have them travel via Qatar for games with economy seats) Then expect La Rochelle to get the win at home vs Saracens.
Despite the incredible performances of Leinster, I see them for the first time falling against Stade Toulousain who have acquired a lot of experience and especially the recruitment of Jack Willis has given another dimension to the French club.

I see Stade Toulousain beating Leinster at home, I know it's premature but my intuition didn't deceive me when I said that no one will stop La Rochelle in 2022.

A final Stade Toulousain - La Rochelle is looming.

The only way to defeat this version of Stade Toulousain is to tackle them to the ground and use a frontal strategy. If Leinster use the combinations, it won't work.

Moreover, the coach of the Bulls of Pretoria Jake White was interviewed at the end of the meeting and he gave a very interesting indication on the fact that his team should have been more frontal and that it was necessary to tackle the players of the Toulouse stadium to bring them to the ground.

Was going to say Ryanair has some cheap flights on Thursday, until I clicked into it and saw it had two changes and took almost two days - be quicker to leave the airport at Cork and walk to Dublin
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 08.37.37.png

Latest posts