• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup 22/23 - Round of 16

It's so stupid. Lansdowne rd aren't opening the top tier for a European QF against Leicester. Should easily get 45k for this game minimum and they expect less than 27k

It's so stupid. Lansdowne rd aren't opening the top tier for a European QF against Leicester. Should easily get 45k for this game minimum and they expect less than 27k
Crazy. Sure whole point of going Aviva is to maximise capacity. Would get 35k for sure considering time of kick off etc. Hard to sell it out.

Was watching the Montpellier game vs Exeter yesterday and thought how incredibly talented Nouchi was off the bench, with Jelonch injured, someone made a great point that definite bolter for world cup. Looks a serious and seasoned professional already with such great decision making.

However, raised a thought about the Prem, when you look at France vs England U20s, i'd be interested to see the league cap split. Out of the England U20s team, how many have played in (not even started) 5 prem games this season? maybe 4 to 5? Only regulars i can see are Fisilau (Exeter), Chessum (Tigers) and Cunningham-South (Irish - didn't play against France) .

I know of Cleaves (Quins) and then Theobald-Thomas (Wuss/Glaws) from mentions in Prem Cup and few appearances as well as Ma'asi White, McArthur and Opoku-Fordjour from Wasps but hardly any play in Prem. Prem squads wonder why they struggle, there's too many average overseas imports or players who block path routes. Couple this with an underfunded champ, its a receipe for disaster. If the champ was funded well, we would see a shift of players down into second division and more opportunities open for players coming through.

Moreover, French second division is watched and seems to be shown on TV, don't understand why RFU don't consider maybe taking a hit and offering BT Sport, Amazon or another streaming service a cheap deal and say... have it for almost nothing, see how you feel and if you like it then pay a little more, gets fans involved, don't hide it behind a pay wall and get fans involved. If schools can live stream football, rugby and cricket (i.e. Daily Mail Cup) from there sports pitches, surely they could do this, maybe even put young/new people involved industry, whether than be presenters, camera crews, directors, whatever it might be.

Create jobs, more exposure and fund clubs giving them exposure too.

Think even L.Chessum hasn't played in the prem yet, just prem cup
Yeah maybe, exactly my point... probably one of the best known players. Worrying numbers when you consider the numbers compared to French lads.

To be fair Lewis is 19(?), his brother is 22 and starting for England. Pretty sure Lewis has been out on loan to Nottingham
I don't really see an issue with it, players are getting plenty of game time in the championship/national leagues - throwing 18yr olds into the prem is a recipe for disaster if they're not ready
We've got a load of players at Caldy, Sale FC and Fylde, depending where they're at in their development - previously we had players out at Coventry, Doncaster and even in Australia on loan. I can't think of any youngsters not getting regular rugby

Just need a proper 'A' League to bridge the gap between on loan and at home

He only just turned 20.
Considering he's pretty much an out and out lock in that he's like 6ft 10 and a bean pole, it's a bit harder to just fit him in.

Most U20's locks tend to be shoehorned in on the flanks first since it's a bit less physical and the slighter frame isn't as much of a weak thing. Case in point O.Chessum and Martin both playing flanker first before move to lock.
Woki another example

Honestly I can't see to think of many average foreign players now in the league, most teams depths seem to be English players.

He only just turned 20.
Considering he's pretty much an out and out lock it's a bit harder to just fit him in.

Most U20's locks tend to be shoehorned in on the flanks first since it's a bit less physical and the slighter frame isn't as much of a weak thing. Case in point O.Chessum and Martin both playing flanker first before move to lock.
Chessum and Fisilau tbf slightly buck the trend but its the others i was more concerned about. I just think where are u20s are compared to France its a mile gap.

Maybe its the A-League/Champ that needs re-working. Someone needs to take it by the scruff of the neck and sort it out.

You say that but in the last six nations squad nearly a 3rd of the squad had been playing U20's rugby within the last 3 years.

Latest posts