Heineken Champions Cup Final 2019

Discussion in 'European Champions & Challenge Cup' started by The Alpha Bro, May 4, 2019.

1. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

also you both break the cap..... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Rich Taff

Rich Taff First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Cardiff

Before the game I had no idea which way it was going to go, but that Sarries pack is brutal.
    Thought it was a very 'Gatland' performance.
    Built on incredible defence and a strong pack, with centres blasting up the middle.
    Enjoyed it.

4. Reiser99

Reiser99 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

Fantastic game. Sarries just suffocated Leinster with their defence.

5. Dave Davies

Dave Davies Academy Player

Country Flag:

United States

Holy crap, that was a GREAT game, though it didn't exactly have fireworks... But holy effing mother of gee, Billy V. is RIDICULOUS...

6. Dave Davies

Dave Davies Academy Player

Country Flag:

United States

I've been hearing analysts talking about Maro and how "irritating" his is in the ruck... Now I know what they mean, that dude is a freaking BEAST... Did you see him basically rip somebody's shirt off? Is that a thing? :)

7. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

So was this seen as bigger than pro14 and premiership?

8. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

That saracens pack is monster with Skelton and Vunipola, itoje playing 6. Did Leinster try and run them off their feet, or did they play a typical Irish patience game? Do you think they should have adapted better, played a different game plan.

I wasn’t able to watch but am intrigued nonetheless.

9. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Champions League v Premier league. A few English and French sides value the league more but there ain't nothing bigger than the Heino in NH club rugby.

I'm absolutely gutted, could be a while before we get the cup back with the current exodus and long term injuries/injury prone guys. Full faith in the coaching staff eeking every last drop out of their potential though. This year was fraught with difficulties and faux amis (flattering pro14 conference) another learning curve for the duo up top.

10. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Thanks for the insight. They were two insane lineups for club rugby, especially the Starting 15s. I can imagine how gutted you feel as that was practically an Ireland starting 15.

I suppose a crusaders starting 15 could look pretty imposing too, e.g.
    Moody
    Taylor
    Franks
    Whitelock
    Barret
    Taufua
    Todd
    Read
    Hall
    Mo’unga
    Bridge
    Crotty
    Goodhue
    Reece
    Havili

Would be great to have a world league, with a northern conference and a southern conference.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Old Hooker

Old Hooker First XV

Country Flag:

England

Only just watched this. Fantastic match and a very well deserved win.

Proper rugby. Give me that over 45-40 any day.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Rinkadink

Rinkadink Bench Player

Club or Nation:

Bristol

Celtic Pro14 sides probably, not for the Premiership and Top14 (French sides) who value their leagues more.

51,000 there for this final yesterday, a similar amount to Bath vs Bristol in April whilst Harlequins vs Wasps league has attracted 82,000 in December. The Premiership final had 70-something thousand there last year, and the French leagues see similar figures of 70-80,000 for certain games.

Don't forget both the Premiership and Top14 both have relegation too which adds pressure and the leagues are much more intensely contested than the Pro14 which does not. Of course the English and French sides would like to win the European cup too but priorities lie elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Oggmonster

The Oggmonster First XV

Country Flag:

Sweden

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

What is next for Mark McCall career wise? Can't help but be impressed with the man in the way he sets up Sarries for games like yesterday and the way he comes across in the media. Is he at Sarries for the long haul or will he fancy a pop at international rugby? Surprised Ireland didn't go for him but guess he wasn't in the system whereas Andy Farrell was. England could do a lot worse if they don't go for Gatland.

14. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Thanks. Interesting. I imagine if I was a player I’d want to win this one the most.

15. FrenchFan

FrenchFan First XV

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Makes sense. The fallout from winning the Bouclier is far greater in terms of sponsorship and fan attendance. Most fans here can’t get to games outside of this country.

• Like Like x 1
  16. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Have to hand it to Sarries who were far better on the day. Deserved champions who battered everyone this year. For the last half hour, they were the only team in it. Vincent Koch stood out for me yesterday when he came on.

The aim for Leinster now is how to get to and surpass that level. The big lesson I took from it is to back players who are in form and not pick on reputation. I'm sure the coaching staff noticed the same. Sean O'Brien unfortunately is nowhere near the player he once was. Having said that, Saracens would have won regardless of who was wearing the 7 shirt for Leinster.

Despite Saracens thoroughly deserving their victory, Leinster had chances. I haven't read through this thread but assume Leinster's decision not to kick it out at the end of the first half was a momentum shifter. Kick it out and it's 10-3 at the break. Garry Ringrose gives a pass early in the second half and it's 17-3. Small margins. Saracens took control from then on. Their defense was awesome.

Next season promises a lot. Will Toulouse continue their revival and challenge for the trophy? Can Saracens join Leinster and Toulouse on 4 titles and become the first team to win 4 in 5 years? Do Leinster have the depth to come back and get a 5th star on the jersey?

Newcastle was a brilliant venue. The city embraced the tournament. Far superior to Bilbao last year.

• Like Like x 3
  17. duncanb

duncanb Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

Got the impression Newcastle was a good venue from TV.
    Obviously some may had travel issues.

18. FrenchFan

FrenchFan First XV

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Let's not forget Clermont. They walked the Challenge. They'll be a match to Leinster and Saracens next season.

I would have trusted the current Clermont to have made the last 4 of the CCup this season. But no regret for them, they won the Challenge. They're bit more advanced and mature than we are. They've also signed Frank Azéma and his staff into 2020.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  19. Greeno

Greeno Academy Player

From a English point of view. I can see Exeter with Hogg and some tough lessons learnt this season doing a lot better next year with potentially Gloucester who would of had another year of Ackerman behind them. Definitely not saying they we win it but quarter finals and potential semis for Exeter are not out of reach. Top 4 are Saracens, Leinster, Clermont and Toulouse. In that order for me.

20. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

We'll fall off next year if the Rob Kearney rumours are true. He was great Saturday, Sarries would have had a field day with Larmour.

• Like Like x 1
  21. big ginger 8

big ginger 8 International

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Yeah a lot remains to be seen about how we can perform next year, World Cups tend to have a few big injuries. Hopefully like 2015 it’ll be great depth development, loads of lads who could be in a position to really push on.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!