• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup - Quarter-Finals

Yesterday Leicester, today sale, both English clubs very clearly on the wrong side of ref decisions, getting punished for everything whilst their opponents get away with murder.

Something has got to be done about the standards.
Usual pathetic nonsense. Both English teams very well beaten by better teams. You would be getter on Wales on Line.

Usual pathetic nonsense. Both English teams very well beaten by better teams. You would be getter on Wales on Line.
Sale ended up well beaten, albeit with 2 moments of individual brilliance being the key point of difference. Leicester however were in a fight before Leinster got a penalty that should have been Leicester's, a decision that led to a try. That's a 7 point swing off the back of a wrong decision. Sale were pressing hard today and Racing committed 2 yellow card offenses in quick succession, neither resulted in a card, Sale get a card out of frustration, during which Racing score. In both cases incorrect calls created situations in which tries were scored.

Again not saying Racing or Leinster weren't good enough to win on merit, but some of these decisions at crucial times resulted in significant points swing that made the whole process much more of an up hill battle than it already was. On the flip side, I struggle to think of decisions that went against Leinster or Racing 99 where they could really say they were hard done by at a crucial moment or that resulted in any sort of significant points swing.

If nothing else something needs to be done to make the reffing consistent across the various leagues in the competition. Particularly at the breakdown, there are quite different interpretations and that really shouldn't be how the game is reffed.

Sadly guys find it hard to get my head round why people worry so much about decisions.
I'm 60 played sport since 8 to 50+
Part of the game is mistake.
Ref makes 1 mistake players knock on, forward pass, drop passes miss tackles et al re mistakes.
Yes I was a whistle blower for 10 yrs.
My favourite saying when they said you are a **** ref ,my reply yep you get a **** ref because you are **** players.
Players make shed loads more mistakes than refs .
My biggest gripe is the laws not being evenly applied by the same ref in the same match, I can cope with different styles strictnesses and nuances of the laws but not the double standards we seem to be faced with at times, nothing infuriates me more (even as a neutral) when the under dog is getting pinged off the park when the clear cut favourite is allowed to quite literally do what they want without consequence.

If you look at the teams who have been penalised the most in the competition, there's three irish sides in the top 5. Also Leinster were penalised more than Leicester yesterday, so not sure it's fair to say the ref was one-sided.

John Cena Point GIF by Nickelodeon

I watched it and Leinster was clearly the better team.

Last edited:

Latest posts