• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup - Round of 16 (1st Leg)

Just feels harsh because neither player knew the other was there and they just collided - doesn't feel like foul play to me at all
If it is deemed foul play then red is the right result, but just feels wrong

Impressive stuff this Tigers side, the whole game. Stewart is a gem of a player

Not sure how the commentators were trying to spin that one and acted so shocked with the result. The result was clear and obvious applying the framework. Definite red.
I couldn't find anything in the framework that would class that as a high degree of danger?

I couldn't find anything in the framework that would class that as a high degree of danger?
Player left the field with a massive gash to the head and wasn't able to return to the field after treatment, following a head on head clash, surely it's clear that there is a degree of danger then?

In my view it's taking the man out without the ball as a defender that is deemed reckless because of both the pace, but mainly because it's a head clash (and how head clashes are being treated at the moment).

Doesn't look like it'll have any impact on the result though, Clermont have gone to bed on this one it seems.

just got around to watching the red as I was racking up some billable hours at the time so I missed it . . .

1. he's running an obstruction line but I don't think that means you can hit him in the head (I should edit this to say that the fact that it happens behind the ball before he gets a chance to obstruct specifically means that you can't make contact with him)
2. I think it's pretty clear we've put the onus on the defensive player to be responsible for their body's movements. He found himself too close to an offensive player at high speed and braced himself with a shoulder. Unfortunately he hit the other guy in the head which is a red cad. I feel him for him but that's how things go.

Just feels harsh because neither player knew the other was there and they just collided - doesn't feel like foul play to me at all
If it is deemed foul play then red is the right result, but just feels wrong

I didn't get a look of whether they were both in each other's blind spots, just think the specific result of a red is inevitable given how things are being applied at the moment on head clashes.

Finally got around to watching the Leicester highlights. On the red card, while I don't think it was intentional, players have a duty of care. We've seen plenty of cards for players who make mistakes and for me Porter needs to be more aware of his surroundings. It's different to a rugby incident where it was a genuine accident. Porter came at speed and didn't look where he was going. That's careless.

Are you suggesting it was an obvious red?

It was a red. But the Lebel try denied is valid and the interception try isn't. Their 14 is clearly offside on the replay.

I think the blame probably lies with a TMO, not Wayne Barnes. I think Lebel's is debatable, but I agree Baloucoune was a yard offside at the point the ball was passed. Ultimately, the TMO had all the angles and the ability to intervene but apparently checked and said the decisions were fine.

Ultimately you can debate decisions all day long, but it's not as simple as that. A try being given or not could completely change the mindset of the players and their response. Saying Toulouse definitely would have won had Lebel's try been allowed is dismissing all the different possibilities and variables that would have followed.

There is a second leg and it's only a 6pt deficit, which is pretty amazing considering how long Toulouse were down to 14.

As an Ulster supporter I am looking forward to Saturdays match but unlike some on here , win or lose, I will accept the best team has won as was the case in Toulouse
Would Ulster have beat 15 men? In my opinion, yes.
If Ulster had not have fallen asleep in the last 10 minutes the score might have been unassailable but as it lies it should be a great game of rugby this Saturday

It was a red. But the Lebel try denied is valid and the interception try isn't. Their 14 is clearly offside on the replay.
I think the blame probably lies with a TMO, not Wayne Barnes. I think Lebel's is debatable, but I agree Baloucoune was a yard offside at the point the ball was passed. Ultimately, the TMO had all the angles and the ability to intervene but apparently checked and said the decisions were fine.

Ultimately you can debate decisions all day long, but it's not as simple as that. A try being given or not could completely change the mindset of the players and their response. Saying Toulouse definitely would have won had Lebel's try been allowed is dismissing all the different possibilities and variables that would have followed.

There is a second leg and it's only a 6pt deficit, which is pretty amazing considering how long Toulouse were down to 14.
He was clearly offside but the pro game allows guys to live a foot or two offside for some reason. It would be odd for the TMO to be stepping in there when it goes unnoticed most the time. I think that falls on the ARs (for not seeing he never got onside) and Wayne (for not seeing he left early, which is a little more subjective).
As an Ulster supporter I am looking forward to Saturdays match but unlike some on here , win or lose, I will accept the best team has won
Cool, do you want an award for being an honorable internet commenter?

Wayne Barnes won the game in Toulouse. Well done Wayne.

Checkers Fries GIF by Checkers & Rally's

Fans were laughing at Barnes on their way out of the stadium. There are 7 cameras available on the pitch for a replay. He's a clown.

Even with the replay and TMO Wayne gets it wrong. That's how much of a clown he is. Sorry I shoud have specified.

Latest posts