France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Heineken Cup.png

Heineken Cup Quarter Final

Munster.pngVersus.pngToulouse.png

Date: Saturday 5th April 2014
Referee: Nigel Owens (WAL)

Guy Noves gave great interview in French but must say 1 section made me chuckle. He said it's great to go to Limerick followed by 3000 but does he not know almost 1800 of those tickets were bought by Munster fans who flew to Toulouse for the public sale :D

Guy Noves gave great interview in French but must say 1 section made me chuckle. He said it's great to go to Limerick followed by 3000 but does he not know almost 1800 of those tickets were bought by Munster fans who flew to Toulouse for the public sale :D

No recession in Munster no?

mmmm...rough rough rough. And ah Toulouse, definitely got what it takes but what will it take for them to get out what it takes to take down their opponent ? Take. Cakes.
*Philosophical stare into the unknown*.

C'mon Toulouse!

Ole ole ole oleeeeeee
Toulouseeee Toulouseeee

Probably the 2 best supportered clubs in Europe, Clermont and Munster, Clermont have a 98% on average attendance record throughout the season, that means there are roughly 360 supporters missing from full capacity each match (capacity 18,030) only Munster can get anywhere near that.

C'mon Toulouse!

Ole ole ole oleeeeeee
Toulouseeee Toulouseeee

ah, good. I see you're making amends for past anti-french blabbering...;)
mmmmm...tough tough tough for Toulouse ! Can't wait for this one, really hope Toulouse show up. I'll have nothing to say and no regrets if they at least play to 90% of their potential. They may well go there and play a non-match, even with those stakes.
Aller Toulouse.

No, I'd be genuinely amazed if Munster lost.
It's a Europe knockout, they're at home, and Toulouse lost to Connacht. I just can't see it.

No, I'd be genuinely amazed if Munster lost.
It's a Europe knockout, they're at home, and Toulouse lost to Connacht. I just can't see it.

Toulouse lost to Connacht because they're Toulouse and are the closest incarnation of France, with all the qualities and flaws that includes. They underestimated their opponent to a ridiculous point, weren't looking to play at all and found themselves in a hole and it was too late to fix it at the 65th minute when they woke up and understood what was going on. There's absolutely no relation between that fact and this current event. They then proceeded to go to Connacht and hammer them hard, and beat the Saracens in both games - that is a lot more telling of their form in the H Cup.
Lately they've been on form as I mentioned above...they understand (I hope :p) the seriousness of an H Cup 1/4F and will look for the big upset. It's probably around 30/70 advantage Munster.
Should be a crackahh.

I would be amazed if Munster lost but then I think what Toulouse did to us and it isn't inconceivable. Their power is crazy they get on the front foot and unless they make a mistake you concede points. Picamoles pick it up gets 5 meters, then Steenkamp 5 meters, Albacete 5 meters, then a Nyanga/Fickou break and they're behind your defensive line. It's so weird to see as a Sarries fan being the defensive side that we are. But Munster will try to match them up front and it goes to a kicking game then I would fancy Munster, players like Gear, Medard and Fickou don't want a game of tennis and Munster have the discipline not play in their own 22. I'm going for a Munster win by 6

If anyone would be able to do a team analysis like the Clermont v Tigers thread that would be interesting
Looking at you Ewis for Toulouse

haha, wish dude ! I don't nearly have the knowledge I need about the Tigers unfortunately, they're a fantastic club. But again, I only have so much time for Rugby...(which is A LOT btw ! but still...). I know Clermont well but not the Tigers...
and same about this match right here, which I think you were rather referring to...

I wouldn't be "amazed" to see Toulouse win. It would just be a very nice upset for the club, but I wouldn't be in awe or anything. Again, they totally *can* but will they. The old France thing, which team turns up, will they play like they can, yadi yada...
but yes Munster seem like a disciplined side with fine tactical aspects...Toulouse might lack a bit of smart play despite all their talent...

In that sense, unfortunately I think it's up to Toulouse to decide who wins this. Munster seem rock solid for an outsider like myself, consistent and an established culture, a winning culture. Toulouse are.........*sigh*....Toulouse !

No do the Toulouse analysis in the style of the tigers thread :p go through the Toulouse squad and say what team is likely to play and each players strengths someone else will do the munster team, I just find them interesting as you see a fans view of the team. a bit biased but honest, I find them fascinating like when I looked at the one on the Tigers team I thought that was pretty nifty.

Props: not pleased with them too much. Census is exactly who we know him to be, powerful but slow in the loose, massive but flawed in the scrum. Montes is meh. Steenkamp can still play at LH and he brings good aggressiveness in all sectors. Countryman and same position Ferreira does his job alright, will stand out every once in a while.

Hookers: Ralepelle is fine, but I love Tolofua. Hopefully the latter will inject some Pac Isl. power and technical control into the Toulouse game, on both ends he is reckless.
Locks: Maestri...he holds up but he lacks punch often. Albacete we all know. Milo-Chluski is a fine lock and Tekori brings that Pac Isl extra at the position. But his discipline can be an issue.

Flankers: no Dusautoir, huge blow...Nyanga so much to say about him, we've all seen what he can do at the highest level (last 6N). Qera, fine flanker strong and aggressive he can shine on occasion. Camara still so young, but already brings lots of athleticism and speed to that position. He's like a back-forward.

No.8's: Picamoles the all-powerful and his heir Gilian Galan who will be as he was against the Sarries I hope. Awesome to have him off the bench, esp. if Picamoles gets injured again, he's a bit fragile these days.

SH: Doussain, Vermaak. Both very good SH's. Doussain is most probably the strongest SH in the world right now and it does help bouncing off tackles, tackling locks...quick in the rucks too.

FH: Beauxis more than holds up fine there, despite past criticism. The guy can put on a passing delight an entire game, and has all that experience. Forgot whether MacAllister was good to go for sure or not, but he brings strength at the 10 position, accuracy in his passing and in-game kicking. His penalty booting has been a problem at times...

Wingers: Gear, fantastic All-Black winger. Huget, France's best atm. Vincent Clerc, still as subtle and intelligent and accurate and Mr. Perfect, just less youth, but strong recovery from the huge injury.

Centers: Fritz is a little bull. Yann David a bigger bull, but not as good. Poitrenaud at center ? They often play him there...and Fickou off the bench, all that athletic potential...

Fullback: Huget ? Poitrenaud ? Médard ? Any will do just fine as they all excel in those roles.

Munster are yet to unleash their most dangerous weapon the witch ki....... I mean O'Connell :unsure:

In a kind of reply to Big E for Munster.

Props
Will hope Botha and Killer Kilcoyne really do damage in what will be a serious battle. Archer will have to really earn his stripes as will Cronin who I think could actually be our secret weapon of bench.

Hooker
Varley will start good honest player but I'd prefer Casey to start as he's been amazing since getting his shot.

Locks
POC is POC. He plays well it will cause Toulouse a big problem as it lifts others. I'd think Foley will start as he's in wonderful form and won't lack anything in physical battle with the little missile of Donnacha Ryan wired to the moon to come on.

Backrow
I'd prefer it to be CJ/TOD/POM but it'll be POM/TOD/Cawlin with CJ to impact when it breaks up.

Halfbacks
100% vital Murray (a) plays well and (b) plays 80mins as Williams can't be trusted and his faults play perfectly in to team like Toulouse.
10 will be Keatley who again needs to nail kicks although when JJ comes on and Keats goes 12 we will have superb spark.

Centres
Laulala at 13. Hurley/Downey at 12 although JJ Keatley axis may be option but certainly this is our most vulnerable area.

Back 3
Has serious gas in Earls and Zebo with both having scoring form. Jones will be 15 although if I'd option I'd love to move Zebo in 15 and let Van Den Heever start. This guy is a super winger big strong and fast but more so no fancying about doing a crab he big direct and can cause issues

With Laulala at 13 and Mannix over the backs Munster could have all of the pace in the world in the back three and it wouldn't matter - they'll never see the ball.

Latest posts