• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 1/4F - Toulon v Leinster

Does anyone know who else is fit for Toulon ? will we see Smith(please God), Fernandez Lobbe, Armitage ? Would be an impressive back row if that was the case.
munstermuffin they have been playing Roussouw and Suta together in the second row, I assume that Castro, Burden and Chiocci would start as they have been for a while, back row god knows they have like 7 internationals there.

probably something like

1 Chiocci
2 Orioli
3 Castrogiovanni
4 Suta
5 Rossouw
6 Juane Smith
7 Lobbe
8 Steffon Armitage
9 Classens
10 Jonny boy
11 Habana
12 Giteau
13 Bastareaud
14 David Smith
15 Delon Armitage

Why would Mitchell start behind David Smith ? Has he been on form recently? And do Toulon normally play Armitage 8 with Lobbe 7 ? Anyway whoever they play that is one scary team to go up against !!

they've been playing Armitage at 8 this whole season, but who knows...
and you're right about Smith. Haven't seen him all season and Mitchell's had lots of starts and game time. Not sure why I put that there like that...
As for Habana: will this be his first game of the year in RCT uniform or what ?!! :p

they've been playing Armitage at 8 this whole season, but who knows
I guess it means his carrying off the back of the scrum must be quite effective, and it allows him to sort of roam with a free game plan. That backrow is just amazing and working of that massive front five it will be hard to stop them getting to rucks and securing fast ball for these backs !!! God what money can buy you ! So what they have is a big old scrum with two 'fetchers' a classy 6ft5 110kg blindside. Smart 9 with a 10-12 axis with a kicking and attacking game, midfield combo that has everything, and a back three that is fast and world class. Lets see what Leinster have to offer.

well I think it's simply because Masoe's been out the whole season really Saffycen, Armitage doesn't play like an 8 at all. He's a ruck beast. Big, big fetcher, decent carrier but really a big fetcher, ruck disruptor and accomplished tackler. Funny, I'm explaining to an Englishman how one of England's player plays...
But definitely up to par with Toulon's prestigious status, definitely deserves to start for them. The only problem is we all constantly confuse him with Bastareaud on the field...even commentators often, even myself and I'm really accurate with 'visual recognition' let's call it.

He's a ruck beast. Big, big fetcher, decent carrier but really a big fetcher, ruck disruptor and accomplished tackler. Funny, I'm explaining to an Englishman how one of England's player plays...
Well that's what i'm on about at Irish he was an out an out 7, there was a massive call for him to come into the England squad because people thought we needed a fetcher, I was wondering if he had changed his playing style at all. I would like him to play for England as he is a great player, but the rules are you have to play in England come on SARACENS get him !!! Really looking forward to this game because he didn't play much in the finals of the HCup, Roussouw was preferred, didn't Armitage win the player of the year one year ?

Well that's what i'm on about at Irish he was an out an out 7, there was a massive call for him to come into the England squad because people thought we needed a fetcher, I was wondering if he had changed his playing style at all. I would like him to play for England as he is a great player, but the rules are you have to play in England come on SARACENS get him !!! Really looking forward to this game because he didn't play much in the finals of the HCup, Roussouw was preferred, didn't Armitage win the player of the year one year ?

For final last year S. Armitage had bit of injury but was on bench. He came on too I think but is certainly a player Toulon rate very highly in fact everyone but English national team have seemed to rate him highly

I've wondered a lot, but then I just saw how England wouldn't pick *anyone* at all that played abroad...but Sheridan could've/should've done a few more years in white, Delon Armitage DEFINITELY should've played more for England and Steffon Armitage would help ANY team in the starting XV, even a side like NZ.
Oh well...I'm just glad France's tactics are working with its foreigner-attracting money-loaded Top 14, that's one guy England can't pick anymore...:rolleyes:

Oh boy, what a game. Between them the two sides have taken the last two ***les, yet their approach could not be any different. Leinster could easily put out a 15 of only Irish players against Toulon's legion of mercenaries.

I love the way irish fans look down on the French teams 'mercenaries' yet some of our own imports are often amongst our best & most popular players. Isa nacewa wasn't in Leinster for the weather. Ulster's hopes are riding on ruan pienaar's fitness.

I love the way irish fans look down on the French teams 'mercenaries' yet some of our own imports are often amongst our best & most popular players. Isa nacewa wasn't in Leinster for the weather. Ulster's hopes are riding on ruan pienaar's fitness.

I think the difference is that Toulon buy in entire squads and can pay them more, Isa wasn't on massive money in comparison to what he could have been payed he came to leinster as a fairly unknown player when Leinster were trying to build to where they are now. A similar situation with Toulon perhaps as they brought in Wilko and SBW as big names to help get the club kick started but never started developing their own players and when one big name leaves they're looking outwards rather than inwards for the replacement first.

I've wondered a lot, but then I just saw how England wouldn't pick *anyone* at all that played abroad...but Sheridan could've/should've done a few more years in white, Delon Armitage DEFINITELY should've played more for England and Steffon Armitage would help ANY team in the starting XV, even a side like NZ.
Sheridan could have played more in white but he was injured so often it was crazy. I don't blame him, or wilko, for going to a country with nice weather and good money when they are injury prone you might have an injury you can't come back from again. The armitages are interesting as I believe that Steffon would definitely be in the mix, be it starting or off the bench, but Delon not so much. He is a bit of a ****** to be honest and he didn't fit into Lancaster's ethos so no place for him, even if he wasn't a ****** he'd be behind Brown and Foden possibly Watson and Daly soon. I'm glad that we don't pick players from abroad otherwise you get a scenario like South Africa or Wales.

Oh Delon Armitage would be behind Mike Brown right now, that's for sure. Although not by a mile either. But I'm talking about those last few years before Brown stole the 15 jersey forever in white, when England were threatening to few teams with their backs. They sure could've used a Delon Armitage back then, although I understand his little brat mentality was a problem. But talking purely physical specimen wise in the 15 jersey.

Delon Armitage back then, although I understand his little brat mentality was a problem. But talking purely physical specimen wise in the 15 jersey.
The talent he was showing around the 2011 rwc was amazing, he could have been 15 at the moment had he stayed and sorted out his attitude. But even at his best Foden was at 15 and Armitage at 11

LEINSTER:
15: Rob Kearney
14: Fergus McFadden
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Dave Kearney
10: Jimmy Gopperth
9: Eoin Reddan
1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Devin Toner
5: Mike McCarthy
6: Rhys Ruddock
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN
REPLACEMENTS:
16: Sean Cronin
17: Jack McGrath
18: Martin Moore
19: Leo Cullen
20: Jordi Murphy
21: Isaac Boss
22: Ian Madigan
23: Zane Kirchner

We're onto something here! That is a good backrow.

The talent he was showing around the 2011 rwc was amazing, he could have been 15 at the moment had he stayed and sorted out his attitude. But even at his best Foden was at 15 and Armitage at 11

I guess the biggest shame for England out of all the Toulon players (2 Armitages, Jonny, Sheridan, Simon Shaw) is probably Steffon Armitage then. Wilko was still very, very good after he left England but it was time to make way for youngsters and that 10 jersey is utterly, utterly important especially for England's game.
Anyways, Saturday, happen already !! Fkn Friday...

IRELAND:
REPLACEMENTS:

wooooops....you misspelled the team's name there. Let me get that for you..

LEINSTER:
REPLACEMENTS:

We're onto something here! That is a good backrow.

Luke Fitz dropped is huge call.
Also thought Madigan would be in at 10 and Cronin at 2.
But think MOC sees it as Gopperths kicking is vital and Cronin makes impact off bench which may be vital. Otherwise not anything that wasn't expected

Latest posts