• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 1/4F - Toulon v Leinster

Yeah, I wonder if something else is going on there, I can't think of any reason to drop FitzGerald, he's been Leinster's best back three player this season.

Is Locky fit? If he is it's a massive call to leave him out too.

No he's left out Cmac as MOC said he was unlucky. Locky was fit too Feic but I think it was probably seen 1 of him or Jennings was going to loose out and well been honest I thought Jennings was best player in Aviva last week.

Yeah, I wonder if something else is going on there, I can't think of any reason to drop FitzGerald, he's been Leinster's best back three player this season.

Well to me Fitzgerald hasn't been as noticeable since coming back from injury. He was on fire beforehand and was turning out some eye catching displays but not so much recently. Thing is even though he hasn't been standing out like before he hasn't exactly been s*** either and I can't really say McFadden has been that much better? Pretty baffling considering Fitzgerald provides the spark we sorely lack in this Leinster back line. He's also been dropped in favour of Kirchner for the 23 spot, although I've liked what I've seen from him and I'm pleased he got to silence those who thought he wouldn't be any good. Weird call if Fitzgerald's been dropped and not injured.
With Madigan you know what he's capable of but it also requires a lot of trust. I think he's been pretty good lately but I guess for a KO match MOC feels it's better to go with the safer man in Gopperth. I don't really mind though, Gopperth can also pose a threat with his running game while also being sound in other facets of his play. He hasn't played a HC KO match before but I reckon he'll do alright.
Reddan's dad was on the receiving end of a pretty serious burglary last night. Reddan's a professional but something like that is not a distraction you'd want before a KO match.

In fairness Gopperths has featured in Super Rugby playoffs and European KO rugby in past so hardly inexperienced

I must say if I was choosing out of Gopperth or Madigan I would pick Gopperth for this game. Very good kicker and has a cool head on his shoulders, Madigan I fear would go for it when it isn't on and start throwing the ball around in the 22. If they do go behind and need some pace going into the game Madigan would be a great player to bring on.

and against a talented team, you would need all the experience you can get and as we know Jimmy Gopperth has plenty off experience in these situations so i would agree with Gopperth over madigan

This time last year Madigan was the man but he's dipped this year and been very inconsistent. Gopperth would have been my choice as the coach.

This time last year Madigan was the man but he's dipped this year and been very inconsistent. Gopperth would have been my choice as the coach.

I agree but only thing I'd say is it's strange Gopperth has got little game time in last few weeks

I'm going on the assumption that Fitzgerald is injured or at least his training was hampered due to it. He's our best winger and MO'C has started him when fit.

Strauss was always going to start this imo gives us an extra flanker on the pitch.

Really thought Madigan would start this one as he started the last two games. Especially if we are planning on playing at a really high intensity. Gopperth has his good games offering a nice running game and good enough kicking from hand. However I do feel he usually takes too much out of the ball and can stifle us he's also not as good a placekicker as Madigan.

It must be tough for Reddan to go away to France this weekend. http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...r-armed-robber-stormed-his-home-30155463.html

I'm going on the assumption that Fitzgerald is injured or at least his training was hampered due to it. He's our best winger and MO'C has started him when fit.

Strauss was always going to start this imo gives us an extra flanker on the pitch.

Really thought Madigan would start this one as he started the last two games. Especially if we are planning on playing at a really high intensity. Gopperth has his good games offering a nice running game and good enough kicking from hand. However I do feel he usually takes too much out of the ball and can stifle us he's also not as good a placekicker as Madigan.

It must be tough for Reddan to go away to France this weekend. http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...r-armed-robber-stormed-his-home-30155463.html

Maybe training was hampered but he's still travelling as 24th man

Where'd you hear that? Fanning isn't involved in the A side so I'd have thought him and Macken were covering the backs.

Michael Corcoran said it today. He seemed to have info as he had all our "extras" bang on too. There's a lot missing from both sides of A teams.
Hence Munster have no MacDonald, Hurley and Dougall to say a few from Munster

The talent he was showing around the 2011 rwc was amazing, he could have been 15 at the moment had he stayed and sorted out his attitude. But even at his best Foden was at 15 and Armitage at 11

Only cos Armitage was more suited to the wing. There's still an argument that an in-form Delon is our best available FB.

There's still an argument that an in-form Delon is our best available FB.
What does he do that Brown doesn't ? He is a very good player but I prefer Foden too both but that's just because I think he is the best strike player and he is an all round star player. Delon is a fantastic player and obviously it would be better if we had him available but I just don't think he offers anything different to those two ?

Mike Brown is mentioned in the Top 3 FB's in the world right now. And rightfully so. I'd never mention Armitage in that company. No way Armitage is better or even that close to Brown, that discussion is futile and shouldn't be had. Plus, he's French now, so hands off you dirty English poachers !!!!!

If Leinster get in front they may well win, Toulon are one of the worse teams when they have to play catch up, but if Toulon get a few points on the board it will be very difficult for Leinster , + you have a very hostile crowd in Toulon which will be right behind their team so its 16 against 15, of course not counting the ref who will have his part to play just hope their are no decisions like Garces had to make yesterday at Ulster. Toulon to win but i think it will be close...

You Funny :) I applaud that joke

mmm, somebody had to make that joke...

Anyways, you'll have to excuse me ladies but I do believe it is D day. Ireland is very good, but this is Mayol. Nobody's ever won there in the H Cup (but Toulon, in case a lurking troll was in for that joke !...).
There will definitely be that moment when we all doubt for the RCT, when Ireland look in command and within minutes of either winning or taking the lead in crucial moments. I cannot see a blowout here, although it is usually in 'exotic' matchups where two teams don't know each other that a large difference can be dug.

Toulon by 5, to be safe.

The Toulon supporter with the microphone is too stupid, I hate him

Latest posts