• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 1/4F - Ulster v Saracens

Make no mistakes about it when Pienaar plays Ulster are totally different team. But just to add in as was said they have a bench that will impact also

Looking at last years *cough* 27-16 *cough* line ups vs this years ( Last years-This year)
Saracens Tomkins-Taylor / Fraser-Burger / Brown-Vunipola / Stevens-Johnston / Hargreaves-Botha
Ulster Gilroy-Bowe / Henderson- Wilson
Even though Saracens have probably upped in power and physicality I think Ulster look like a team miles better than the one from last year. 27-16 last year was quite flattering to Ulster and they scored a try in the last minute, but we haven't kicked on from last year, we've tried to start adding a better attacking game but really we are still the same team. Ulster have upped their attack and their defence from last year, and now they are at home. Hargreaves and Fraser are massive losses for us, especially Hargreaves underrated as hell, but on the whole our personnel have improved and I know we wont role over easily.

Honestly am surprised at Williams starting. Clearly Anescombe wanted a ball carrying impact but I'm concerned about the liability he can be at times regarding giving away penalties. Farrell will slot them over from everywhere so we need to be tight on our defence and penalty count.

Again I would have had Henderson in for Touhy as I feel he is that bit sharper. Apart from that I'm happy with the lineup.

Going to be a great atmosphere especially with the new stand open.

I don't feel that Ulster, in general, are stronger than last year.

I feel like both of our props have mentally checked out early. Johann Muller is not the player he was even a year ago and we're very reliant on Tuohy to be on top form, which he rarely is so soon after returning from injury. I don't feel like the coach is getting the best out of the players right now. Last week was simply appalling and all due to attitude. I don't think that happens when the coach is on top of things. I feel like there's players who've got backwards, in particular Paul Marshall, but also Gilroy a little, Calum Black (not available), Stevenson (not picked).

However,

a) A lot of that is mental and if you can't get it up for Sarries at home in a HEC QF, you shouldn't be in pro rubgy
b) Even last year, we were better than we showed. Last year we had too many half-fit players in the pack and played a pretty suicidal plan. I'd like to think we'll be smarter and fitter this time round
c) Our best games this year have been the biggest games

Plenty of respect for Sarries here - they'll suffocate us if we put a foot wrong, they have some huge carrying power there and a top notch kicking game. Last is a shame as my preferred option would be for the Pienaar-Paddy-Payne Triumvirate to simply kick them off the field, Sarries make that a risky option. Expect Jackson to look for the dink behind regularly.

This all said, starting to get my belief back...

edit: Oh and D - Ravenhill - even a plastic like myself shoulda known better than to miss that out...

Last edited:
This is my first post. With Pienaar Ulster have an exceptional weapon and are an exceptional team. Also I am drunk. Sorry.

Also, I know you hate double posting and all that crap, however is there a single player who is more important to a team at the moment than Pienaar is to Ulster? Interesting topic of debate perhaps? Who could your team not be without?

Also, I know you hate double posting and all that crap, however is there a single player who is more important to a team at the moment than Pienaar is to Ulster? Interesting topic of debate perhaps? Who could your team not be without?
I don't think any team has a player who is so important to them as Pienaar is to Ulster. It's not just his ability but he puts confidence in every other player around him. The most important player for Sarries too lose would be Barritt as whenever he is out our defence is never as good (which is our whole game) and we lack a guy who does the hard yards in the backs.

Census Johnston. :p

Census Johnston.
You guys miss Picamoles soooo much when he don't play, we would have beat you if it wasn't for that big nosed **** :ranting:

You guys miss Picamoles soooo much when he don't play, we would have beat you if it wasn't for that big nosed **** :ranting:

BIG NOSED ?!! How...how dare you ? Lou-lou has a big EVERYTHING !!!

...Ok this isn't helping this thread move forward about the topic at all...

Welcome to the forum bops, I'd suggest starting a topic about it in the Rugby General forum...

For what its worth, I might suggest Tuilagi at Leicester...

Oh dear, that was something. Hope Goode was ok. Definite yellow at least. Really stupid.

**** sake Payne.

Definitely a yellow, I think the nature of the fall made it look a bit worse though, I'm not sure if it's a straight red but I dunno.

Edit: Again, I don't think there's malice in it just wreckless.. his eyes are on the ball for most of it. Hope Goode is ok.

Last edited:
Payne should see red for this. Incredibly careless.

****ing horrible fall hopefully he is okay. I don't think payne shows malice there just plain stupidity

ffs Goode, you can't even grab a high ball without attracting a guy at full speed under you and breaking your coccis as you land ??!!!

Well that ****s things up. If Ulster manage to win this I'll be amazed.

Latest posts