• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 2014 - The Final

What England could do with Armitage in our team. His breakdown work is astonishing.

Bath should have broken the bank romain him rather than a rugby league convert who may or may not work.

Interesting drop attempt there...

The RFU should do more to get the players who would/could improve our team. It's not like they can't afford it.

The RFU should do more to get the players who would/could improve our team. It's not like they can't afford it.

That has exactly the same issues surrounding it as him being in France does - the clubs will **** themselves.

Well I can't complain Saracens were not anywhere near good enough. We didn't have an off-day we weren't below par Toulon just aren't our peers. Can't say I'm not disappointed but this is how it goes we played the best team in Europe and they didn't need to get out of 3rd gear, at any point in the match.

A cracking game of rugby broke out after the first half an hour. Powerful stuff from Toulon. I don't know what Sarries coaching staff will say during the week, but they're going to need to do some serious moral raising.

About Steffon, I don't buy the idea that the top clubs can't afford him without the help of the RFU. IMO he prefers in on the Riviera.

I don't know if Armitage would be that great on the International stage, it's normally pretty 50/50 if he is on his feet when he gets over the ball and the SH refs don't really like a contest at the breakdown.

Any of you can take a picture of your TV? My streaming has a poor quality

My opinion of Toulon is starting to change to be honest, hearing the players talk about the club it does seem there is more substance to it than money. Well done Toulon.

Normally I'd have been cheering for the underdogs vs the mercenaries of Toulon.

Normally Chris Ashton wouldn't be playing for the other side though.

Well done Toulon, brutal game, and great to see Wilkinson win.

He's not bad....for an Englishman ;)

I don't know if Armitage would be that great on the International stage, it's normally pretty 50/50 if he is on his feet when he gets over the ball and the SH refs don't really like a contest at the breakdown.
I agree. He takes a very similar stance to O'Driscoll, and we saw how he got hammered by certain referees on the Lions tour. Definitely open to interpretation.

Also... I'm not entirely surprised by the dive from Habana - he does it a lot.

Right time for some /10s
1.Chiocci 5/10 gave away numerous penalties at scrum time against a poor opponent
2.Burden 7/10 one silly hit which could have been carded, brilliant around the park and at lineout big hitter
3.Hayman 6/10 didn't really see much of him but did well and wasn't at fault for scrum penalties
4.Botha 6.5-7/10 did what he needed to do at lineout and scrum time and was competent around the park
5.Rossouw 6.5/10 same as Botha but looked a little nervous at first dropping the ball
6.Smith 8/10 brilliant decision to come out of retirement and was monumental in attack and defence scoring a great try
7.Lobbe 6.5/10 would have got 7.5 but yellowed in the first half, though it didn't matter sowed down the ball and was part of smith's try
8.Armitage 9/10 his ability over the ball probably over shadowed his great hand offs and carrying ability, Lancaster must have been impressed
9.Tillous-Borde 7.5/10 real classy scrum half with great passing and kicking game making it hard to pressure the 10 and 12
10.Wilko 9/10 kicks everything and plays every correct move, would still walk into most intl' teams
11.Habana 6/10 didn't have much to do but when he did have a chance he decided to fall on the ground like a little cheating ****
12.Giteau 8/10 incredible weapon in attack scoring a wonderful try, everything he does is class
13.Basta 7/10 made his tackles and showed pace to help set up Smith's try
14.Mitchell 7/10 big part of Giteau's try and was great with the boot and ball in hand
15.Armitage 6.5/10 didn't really have anything to do so average mark for him
Now for Sarries...
NO one really played well, Farrell tried his hardest and made some breaks, Brits looked good in attack so both 6.5-7/10 the rest barely get 5and 6's

Have only just finished watching the game due to other commitments.....what can I say other than I told you so.....!!!!

Roland was absolutely dire.

Steff was like Giteau and JW absolute class!

Stevens showed what he was....a penalty machine.

Chocci was a disgrace.

Habana won the penalty but lost my admiration for the dive...

Farrell showed he is far from world class..

Laportes showed that he is a class manager who with his team got this team tactically so right. The use of TB at 9 to take the pressure of JW and completely negate Burger's threat was superb and the key to the win,

Big bad Billy was shown up for what he is...............a one season (last season) wonder.

Bosch proved to be the same as always.........a poor choice!

TOULON won and will win again next week!!!!

ALLEZ RCT!!!!

ps - hope that is not too over the top and that some of the posters on here have a little more respect for the class and togetherness of this wonderful team!!

I.e. Chris Pollock in the 1st Lions test.

Still I would pick him for England; a back row of Wood, Armitage and Vunipola would be mouth watering. But we know Lancaster won't. Still couldn't help noticing the rueful look on his face every time the Sky cameras panned over to him after another Armitage jackal.

Last edited:

Latest posts