• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Final 2022/23: Leinster Rugby v Stade Rochelais

If I were a Leinster fan I think I would keep the faith in RB, he certainly could have attempted the drop goal but didn't, with hindsight having not attempted it and the defeat he seems the type of chap that would go away and think about it, if that isn't currently in his locker no reason why he can't work on it (serious question as I have no idea) are there many other Irish qualified 10s either better than or likely to become better than him any time soon?

If I were a Leinster fan I think I would keep the faith in RB, he certainly could have attempted the drop goal but didn't, with hindsight having not attempted it and the defeat he seems the type of chap that would go away and think about it, if that isn't currently in his locker no reason why he can't work on it (serious question as I have no idea) are there many other Irish qualified 10s either better than or likely to become better than him any time soon?

Jack Crowley, the young Munster outhalf who dropped the goal to beat Leinster last week, seems to be a favourite of Farrell's, and he has shown up very well this year but the RWC has probably come too soon for him. As a non Leinster Irish fan, who was happy enough with his performances in the 6ns, I was hugely ****** off at Byrnes performance on Saturday. All his old failings of lack of dynamism, pointless kicking and retreating further into the pocket when pressure came on, were there in all their glory in the second half, and were compounded imo by his failure to step up and take control by taking the drop goal opportunity, in marked contrast to Crowley the previous week. I think/hope that a good performance by Crowley on Saturday in SA might see him move ahead of Byrne behind Sexton, so it will be both a huge opportunity and a huge test for him. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Just seen it will be made official during week but Sexton won't be punished. I think it looks likely both teams will get a tasty fine. No more.
Ala'alatoa looking at a mid range ban so probably miss first few weeks of next season.
And as already probably guessed. No citings.

Seen somewhere too that Ross Byrne had 0 passes in 1st half. That can't be right as I thought RTE were over exaggerating a pass of his for first try
Love me a good old cover up. Let's start the conspiracy theories on what Sexton had to do to get off.

I think next season will be his first and last one starting out as starting 10. A year without injuries and consistent minutes for either Harry Byrne or Sam Prendergast will be enough, they're better rugby players than Ross and Harry leapfrogged him in 2020 but spent the next two years injured, Sam looks better than Harry again but needs to be managed in his transition to men's rugby.

Ross is a 6/10 player and a 9/10 kicker, take away the kicking like what happened on Saturday and it's not good enough at all.

Love me a good old cover up. Let's start the conspiracy theories on what Sexton had to do to get off.
Wag his finger in the other direction?

To be honest I think it more I not sure he did enough to warrant a ban.

On Ross Byrne - And Alpha you may be able to comment on this more - But Ross is seen as a good club player but not the man who will be difference.
Brian O'Driscoll was on yesterday on OTB Podcast talking about RB and how statistically behind a retreating pack RB has some of the worst stats over past 5 years. And said he needs to even try get his game to a 6/10 in these scenarios or else it could be a worry for Leinster and Ireland.

On next season - Would Leinster be better off to invest it in to Prendergast or HB as the starting 10?
Like HB really needs to kick on too

Prendergast seems to have all the skills and a steely mindset, but sometimes looks a bit casual which is fine in age grade rugby where he he is so much better than most of the guys on the pitch, but I'm not sure he'll get away with it for very long at elite adult level. From what I've seen and heard from him he's a very confident young man, but I haven't seen any hint of arrogance, so its very fixable and I'm sure that he'll be getting very good advice from the Leinster and Irish coaches.

I've also been a fan of Harry Byrne who looks like he has a much higher ceiling than his brother, and I'd love to see him getting regular gametime if he can stay injury free. I think Prendergast is the guy who has the potential to be a generational player and I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Apparently Sexton called Peyper a "******* disgrace" to his face among other things. If true, that needs to be an instant ban. Players have received worse punishments for far less said in the heat of the moment.

Peyper is a poor ref but I think most neutrals accept Leinster didn't have a while lot to feel aggrieved about in the first half.

Apparently Sexton called Peyper a "******* disgrace" to his face among other things. If true, that needs to be an instant ban. Players have received worse punishments for far less said in the heat of the moment.
Definitely ban worthy for me. Not surprised though it's been brushed under the carpet.

That claim is based on an Afrikaans language Sunday newspaper "obtaining footage" of it happening but not releasing the same footage. Not worth the paper it's written on.

Peyper also says he's heard nothing. It's pure slander.
Tbh if Peyper says he heard nothing and there is no video then yeah, pretty much nothing to do. Still poor behaviour from all involved though.

Peyper is a poor ref but I think most neutrals accept Leinster didn't have a while lot to feel aggrieved about in the first half.
If guilty then should be handed a big ban similar to Dylan Hartley in Final a few years ago.

However, and this is a big however, Sexton seems to have been cleared and maybe I have misread it but the article I read (the42.ie or RTE can't remember as the head is fuzzy) was saying Sexton said this directly to Peyper but later says evidence is relying on what AR's heard as Peyper couldn't hear directly in big stadium with crowd noise and couldn't relay it clearly. So is question not simply to any of 3 officials did you hear it clearly? Yes or No.
If yes then charge and lets hear evidence. If No then well we can't charge a man without proof.

It doesn't take 3 weeks to solve that question.

So they have camera footage they just haven't released for whatever reason of Sexton calling Peyper a ******* disgrace and the audio picked this up when Peyper himself couldn't hear it? Seems unlikely unless Sexton was holding the camera in selfie mode. By all means if he said it, ban him, but this is v clearly done with in EPCRs eyes unless this footage actually emerges

Tbh if it's 3 weeks later only video evidence will make them reopen it.

I'm pretty sure the 3 Sexton brothers communicate almost exclusively through shouting and swearing so that should be factored into anything.

According to reports, Jonathan Sexton could miss the World Cup following insulting remarks against South African referee Jaco Payper.

Rugby: "You are a whore … of shame", Sexton risks big for his words to the referee of Leinster-La Rochelle

Sexton is facing a suspension for 'verbally assaulting a Match Official'. The duration of this will depend on his participation in the preparation matches for the World Cup, or even in the first meetings of this one. The usual scale, in cases of the same kind, ranges from six to twelve weeks of suspension.

No Irishman could say 'you are a whore of shame'. It's too complex for their simple minds.

This is obviously a joke by the way.

Latest posts