Heineken Cup Final: Northampton Saints - Leinster

Heineken Cup Final

• Northampton Saints

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Leinster

Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bod didnt do any thing wrong, he almost scored 2 tries..

And missed the tackle for the first try...and missed probably two others. It was a poor performance by him in the first half. But that was the case for the Leinster team in general.

He was turrrrrble! Missing tackles all over the place, knocking on for no reason, sloppy passing
Easily the worst I've ever seen him play

Sean O'Brien was excellent in the second half though,
Foden was bloody brilliant all the way through

All I can say is wow that was impressive Sexton was just Amazing. We played like crap in the first half and then just threw it all at them it's about believing that they could win and they did.

And missed the tackle for the first try...and missed probably two others. It was a poor performance by him in the first half. But that was the case for the Leinster team in general.
Yeah, but overall BOD was positive. I think Darcy was worse. Time's up for him?

My opinion of Heaslip has changed - didn't know he had it in him to carry out the sly blocks that led to two tries for Leinster.

Strange match: all the reputations won and lost in the first half, were lost and won in the second. Apart from Sexton, Foden and Horgan. Obviously both teams switched jerseys at half time. Only explanation for it.

The reality - I know it was dramatic, but it would have been one sided if Leinster had admitted earlier on that they completely miscalculated the front row. I've seen props subbed at the start of Q2, and that was a no-brainer. The Leinster backline was weak in midfield defence, passing poorly and not using space - at least two tries left on the pitch - so if they'd been up to usual standard it would have been a slaughter.

In the end Nacewa had a nice grubber down the touchline at 75 mins - went into touch, Saints 11 didn't even think of a quick throw, all the stuffing had been knocked out of them by that stage.

The biggest laugh we got was when the camera panned to a Saints fan in one of those daft jester hats - the sour misery on his face said it all. I sympathise, but he couldn't have been more clear about his feelings.

Last edited:
That has to be one of the greatest games of Rugby I have seen in ages (probably since the Lions 2nd test in SA). Northampton folded like a cheap wet napkin in the 2nd half, but Leinster were also incredible.

I completely echo the sentiments of Olyy: BOD was absolutely gash, missed 2 or 3 key tackles on Foden an dropped it a few times. Ashton did nothing either.

I just couldn't believe how Leinsters scrum went from getting destoyed in the 1st to being great in the 2nd. Reddan should get a lot of plaudits for how quickly he was getting the ball away to Sexton as Northampton really slowed them down at the ruck in the 1st half. What a good scrum-half should always do!

Absolutely fantastic game!

**** me absolute cracker of a match. Saints looked dead on their feet in the 2nd half, probably feeling the effects of that game last week as well as all that Leinster pressure. Logorrhea, tell me the scrum before Saints got tired wasn't an embarrassment, or was it Poite's fault again?

Anyway, outstanding comeback from the team that's been the best in Europe by some distance. They've beaten the reigning champions and best side in France; and they've beaten all 3 of the best teams in England, hands down. Saints lacked depth and experience, Toulouse lacked energy, Leicester lacked class... Leinster have it all.

Special mention to Ben Foden who really didn't deserve to be on the losing team there. Outstanding from him, Europe's No. 1 fullback without a doubt.

Why couldn't Leinster have just won by 5points or less.
But great 2nd half led by Sexton. Foden was superb but Leinsters big names really stood up and were counted when it came to crunch time.
But jeez imagine anyone who gets Connacht.

A great showcase for European rugby. Leinster played like true champions in the second half. Awesome comeback, blowing Northampton off the park. Conancht have their holy grail now as well! Foden was superb at the back for Northampton though, it must be said.

Stuff your Super15 :lol: is what I heard today.

A cracking game, really enjoyed it. The scrums second half were not overall greatly reffed, got to say some of the decisions made was slightly wrong but there we are.

I would have loved to been in the Leinster changing room at half time, someone must have given one of the great speeches because the turn around at the break was immense. Saints probably ran out of gas as soon as the Leinster came at them. Foden was in a world of his own this afternoon, was simply outstanding as was the Saints number 8.

Apparently Sexton is the one that got them all fired up

Team talks and a brace of tries, what a guy :p

Unbelievably happy/drunk! Half time was a depressing time in my life. Leinster were ridiculously bad in the 1st half. The 2nd half was something else. Sexton, Heaslip, Reddan, Strauss, Nacewa, O'Brien and Horgan were all class. If Leinster had been awake in the 1st half it could've been an all time record destruction job

That was the best I have ever seen Foden play and I already rated him as one of the best 15's in the world, I know think he is as good, maybe better than the likes of Kurtley Beale and Isa Nacewa.
The Saints in the 1st half were the Best I have ever seen them. Then in the second half Leinster were the best they had ever been and they just had that bit more class and experience to win like they did.
This and the Crusaders-Sharks Match have been the best match of 2011.

Ha!!! Turns out I won. Totally forgot I put vCash on this match...

Biggest winners in the Vbookie bet of this match:

TRF_Ezequiel: 2800
DorceOutSide: 1736
superrprop: 1400
lucky number 7: 1400
dangandan: 883

Sexton was immense. Not just with ball in hand, every time play stoped and all the Leinster players huddled round he was there shouting at them and sorting them out! With a bit more experience and a wider squad so players don't crash like they did Saints will be outstanding.

Quality match, really thought Northampton were going to win it but it wasn't to be.

Latest posts