• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Final: Ulster vs. Leinster - 19/05/2012

Thought I'd do Leinster player ratings probably a bit biased so soon after the end.

Cian Healy - 8

Scored a try was everywhere in the loose and did more than even I thought he would in the scrum actually getting the better of Afoa to a high level. Gave away a penalty or two.

2. Richardt Strauss - 7

Got better and better as the game went on. Missed one lineout but did well after and was strong in attack and defense.

3. Mike Ross - 6

Did all that was expected held the scrum ok and made two decent rumble. Great hands for a huge break.

4. Leo Cullen - 6

Was a work horse hit plenty of rucks did well in the lineout. Bad missed tackle for Cave's break.

5. Brad Thorn - 7

Even more of a workhorse than Cullen made some good carries late on.

6. Kevin McLaughlin - 6

Another who was everywhere did everything that was asked of him.

7. Sean O'Brien - 9

Superb carried brilliantly, wreaked havoc at the breakdown and was a rock in defense.

8. Jamie Heaslip - 7

Bit quite by his standards again grew as the game went on.

9. Eoin Reddan - 8

Excellent service, gave a nice tempo to Leinster's game seems to have a telepathic understanding as to who is running and where they're going.

10. Jonathan Sexton - 8

Controlled the game brilliantly, apart from one dodgy one slotted his kicks and passing was exquisite.

11. Isa Nacewa - 7

Made a huge hit on Cave secure in everything he did.

12. Gordon D'arcy - 8

Surprised me with his display as I thought he didn't have it anymore. Great hands, ran very good lines and excellent in defense.

13. Brian O'Driscoll - 9

Impossible to believe he had keyhole surgery just over a week ago. Incredible hands, brilliant feet and a rock in defense. His determination to come back on shows just how much he wants it.

14. Fergus McFadden - 7

Solid took the right option every time.

15. Rob Kearney - 9

Searing on attack, brilliant under the high ball and made a great covering tackle on defense.

Bench - 9

Two tries off the bench and each player added something important.

Hard luck Ulster if things had gone your way early on it could have been a completely different game.

The only thing that upsets me is that if it were Munster in the final instead of Ulster the scoreline probably would have been closer..

Munster and Leinster know each other so well that whenever they play these days its always a tight game

Anyway, cracking performance. Great to retain the cup and always nice to get a win over a rival. Commiserations to Ulster fans, they should be very proud of what they have achieved this season.

I had a suspicion that if Ulster were behind after 50, we'd win comfortably enough. Our bench was an awful lot stronger and that told at the end of the day. SOB had a cracking game and I though Reddan was outstanding too. No complaints with any of the others.

In light of this season, Tuohy & Henry must be capped over the summer. Top quality players and both were good today.

Anyway, bring on next season.

Ranking Leinster H Cup performances

1. 42-14 Ulster (never looked like losing)
2. 19-15 Clermont (probably the hardest test and did it in France)
3. 25-3 Montpellier (great defence)
4. 34-3 Cardiff Blues
5. 38-13 Glasgow
6. 52-27 Bath
7. 23-16 Glasgow
8. 18-13 Bath
9. 16-16 Montpellier (lucky to come away with a draw)

Oh yeah obviously BO'D has but the others in particular Sexton.

What a maul.

Yeah sorry I was locked so it seemed you were talking about O'Driscoll specifically. But I absolutely agree with your general point. :)

Pish, say what you want, but a 22 point loss is a trouncing in anyone's books.

If I had an old enough daughter, I'd give her to Brad Thorn for a night, hoping he would give me a grandson.

Give her to Robin van Persie then. He will take her

Leinster had some luck against Clermont. Fofana losing the ball and that first half punch of Cullen on Faure which was not seen by the ref. But they played very well in the 2nd half until the Fofana incident. But to win tournaments you need a bit of luck somewhere.

Last edited:
where was the All Blacks luck in 2011?

or the Springboks luck in 2007?
Luck can anything from the bounce of a ball to a bit of good fortune that go for you. Did not say that they win it on luck but in a close game a bounce of the ball can be the difference between winning and losing.

In 2007 two moments defined it for me. That last ditch tackle on the fiji lock just before the try line and the Tait disallowed try. NZ that DOnald kick just scaving over and the Trinh-Duc miss. On another some of those go for you or against you but like the saying goes you make your own luck I guess.

I never even realised Terblanche got sinbinned until I woke up this morning and started reading the internet :mellow: When was this? Right at the end? If so, it makes me feel a bit better about that pair of late tries.

I'm proud but frustrated to be an Ulster fan today. Leinster's first three tries came directly from very big Ulster mistakes (with a little help from miscommunication with the ref on the third) and there was simply no way we were ever getting away with that sort of behaviour. But there we go. We've laid some foundations this season. Just have to keep going in the right direction.

I never even realised Terblanche got sinbinned until I woke up this morning and started reading the internet :mellow: When was this? Right at the end? If so, it makes me feel a bit better about that pair of late tries.
About 7s minutes from time. Was a pretty big tip tackle to be fair, if it weren't the last game of the season he'd probably be off for a few weeks from it.

About 7s minutes from time. Was a pretty big tip tackle to be fair, if it weren't the last game of the season he'd probably be off for a few weeks from it.

/if he wasn't retiring :lol:

Fair enough, no complaints if that's what happened.

Could be worse. I had to tell a Leinster supporting friend of mine how they scored a penalty try he was that wasted.

EDIT: And since I haven't said it yet, congratulations to Leinster on what is one hell of an achievement by one hell of a team. It is very difficult to think of a more complete, more ruthless club team. They're the benchmark for Europe, and they're going to take some stopping.

Last edited:
That was unbelievable yesterday, I can't remember too much about the match and I'll have to have a look at it today but as my dad told me I took all the atmosphere right in these only happen about once a year :p (I may have changed that slightly :D ). It was absolutely brilliant, the only bad thing about it is that we have to wait another five months for the best rugby in the world.

Latest posts