• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup P4: Ulster vs Castres Olympique - 12/10/12

That was some game, we played very well in the first but for about 20 minutes in the second everything went to ****. That's about the only criticism I could make and is maybe something we need to address, I don't think it was fatigue but I'm not sure. Overall though it was a pretty good performance, we had some good creativity in attack and mostly defended well. They played a pretty patient, soul destroying type of rugby so it would have been hard to not concede some tries. We really needed that bonus point too, I dontknow what they were doing by not kicking it dead bu I'm just glad we have Ruan Piennar! :)

That was some game, we played very well in the first but for about 20 minutes in the second everything went to ****. That's about the only criticism I could make and is maybe something we need to address, I don't think it was fatigue but I'm not sure. Overall though it was a pretty good performance, we had some good creativity in attack and mostly defended well. They played a pretty patient, soul destroying type of rugby so it would have been hard to not concede some tries. We really needed that bonus point too, I dontknow what they were doing by not kicking it dead bu I'm just glad we have Ruan Piennar! :)

Yeah there's a lot to improve on, but what matters is we're getting the wins and, probably with some luck, that crucial bonus point.

Yeah there's a lot to improve on, but what matters is we're getting the wins and, probably with some luck, that crucial bonus point.

Very true, we are certainly going in the right direction. We're even getting called a European powerhouse by some and nearly everyone on sky has picked us to top the group, Its a strange sensation not being the underdog anymore haha

He's slipped under the radar that's for sure - and it wasn't just the points total imo, very complete performance. Dunno about you, but he's maturing even faster than I was hoping for - which is excellent!

I think he's improved massively and that he started very well. He kept his kicking game up throughout but I felt his passing game dropped in the second half. He seemed to me to be almost standing still when receiving (could be because of the quality of ball he was getting) and shipping it on very poorly at times.

I think he's improved massively and that he started very well. He kept his kicking game up throughout but I felt his passing game dropped in the second half. He seemed to me to be almost standing still when receiving (could be because of the quality of ball he was getting) and shipping it on very poorly at times.

Yeah he has been excellent so far this season, like you said his kicking game has improved but the main things I've noticed his an increased maturity in his game, he seems much more comfortable on the ball now and has the 'poise' of a top rugby player.

I agree with this post from the UAFC forum....

POSITIVES
+ We (just) got the bonus point, which could prove vital
+ Scrum stood up strong
+ Paul Marshall had a very good game
+ Paddy Jackson is maturing into a superb player, great goal kicker
+ Welcome back Ruan Pienaar!!!
+ In attack we were actually very good, we just couldn't finish them off

NEGATIVES
- Line out started good, but quickly turned sour
- Ref had a poor game, Castres were all over the place at the breakdown
- McComish looked out of place in the back row
- How many chances do we need to score 4 tries???
- Ferris injury, hope it's just a precaution
- Some of Marshall's passing was a bit iffy
- We just about put 4 tries on a Castres 2nd XV
- Defence at the line held out for a while, but eventually let them slip through twice
- At the breakdown we were rather sloppy
- We got lucky. Castres had no reason to play in the 80th minute but they did. Who knows why.
- Penalty count was poor.

I have no problem with a fly-half standing deep with the intention of looking more for territory when his team's on the rack - it's a good decision - but wouldn't quibble with the idea he might have taken it too far. But there we go - as noted, the whole team kinda feel apart there. He was still very good with his kicking and defence, took Tekori head-on a few times with little bother. 13 tackles, none missed.

I think some people (not neccesarily here, it's more a remark on things I've seen being said everywhere) are forgetting that we've got a new coach and are trying to adapt our play - more offloading, quicker ball. It's not always going to work, we're still getting used to it and it's a risky style of play anyway. Also, we were rather short on the big guns to suck people in - although we possibly could have made better use of Trimble in this regard. I'd have rather a smoother performance, but I'm not particularly bothered at this stage that it isn't.

edit: Just seen Matty's post - of course McComish didn't look quite at home, he's our, what... 7th choice back-row? Only so deep the quality can go. Plus he didn't expect to be playing at first. He did however make 11 tackles, missed none, and played an important part in the turnover for Marshall's first try - it was better than having Anderson there!

Last edited:
One thing that has really struck me about Jackson is his tackling technique. I often see him hit big men hard and low, it's very impressive. He hasn't got the same strength to hold players up ala Sexton but he is a great technical tackler and takes players down early which allows the likes of Henry to attack the breakdown. In fact Madigan, Sexton and Jackson are all very good tackling fly halves.... Kind of makes up for ROG!

One thing that has really struck me about Jackson is his tackling technique. I often see him hit big men hard and low, it's very impressive. He hasn't got the same strength to hold players up ala Sexton but he is a great technical tackler and takes players down early which allows the likes of Henry to attack the breakdown. In fact Madigan, Sexton and Jackson are all very good tackling fly halves.... Kind of makes up for ROG!

And not to forget he's only 20. :p

And not to forget he's only 20. :p

It's bloody unnatural, makes me feel really old :(

If he continues like this, he could really be something. As Matty says, his composure's really grown, and to me that's the mark of a top rugby player. To have it so early in such a pivotal position is special. The fact he's technically excellent at just about everything and no fear in defence is just almost icing on the cake.

Latest posts