• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup proves it's grim down south - Justin Marshall

Excellent post Logorrhea, agree with you 100%. The HC combines 4 leagues (don't forget the Italian league) into probably the toughest cup going (barring champions league). The S14 just can't be compared as it's a league like the Guiness, Magners or Top14.

<div class='quotemain'>
Without being rude the super 14 is pretty dull especially with the new experimental laws and the way most of the sides play the same style of basketball(sorry rugby).
[/b]
That proves Prestwick's point
[/b][/quote]
I think you will find I have been watching SH rugby for a lot longer than you , I have also played during NH off season in New Zealand.So stop kissing up to Prestwick and have your own opinion.

Isn't the Heineken Cup like a retirement village for the Super14's i cant keep up with the pace elite......? *Bar Mcalister*

I think eventually there is only ever one winner in any sport.....and that is MONEY.

Money is the final victor in sport. You just have to look at how world soccer (whoops i mean football) has evolved...Gridiron....Ice hockey etc. Eventually the best players will all follow the money...tradition can only be followed for a while. Rugby is lucky because before professionalism came in so late for it.

When the NH money outstripped the SH the NH attracted older SH players who were a bit past it. Then they attracted younger SH players who knew they would not really make it. Now they are starting to attract SH players who are still capable of making it. The future which has now started with players like Like MacAlister going up north is a future of current top shelf SH players going in their prime. when it is not a world cup year. Eventually it will be players who go DURING a RWC year and the SH nations will have to bend and still select them if they want to win the RWC.

You just have to look at soccer and see how talented players from poorer countries like Brazil play overseas. Eventually the most money will attract the best players together. Tradition and sacred objects like the All Black jersey can only hang onto players for so long before the money steals them away.

So with that in mind.....the NH comp with more money will eventually one day be THE competition.

I think you will find I have been watching SH rugby for a lot longer than you , I have also played during NH off season in New Zealand.So stop kissing up to Prestwick and have your own opinion.
[/b]
Gotta say, that's the most silly comments I've seen on these forums.
Me, sucking up to Prestwick?! LMAO

Back to the rugby..
I think accusing 14 top flight teams in 3 different countries, with 3 very different rugby cultures of playing a simular style of rugby is pretty ignorant.

Justin Marshall colleague has more or less the same opinion.

Byron Kelleher

But the last word went to Toulouse's livewire scrum-half, Byron Kelleher.

"For those back home who reckon that North Hemisphere rugby is a bit boring, think again," said the All Black in the aftermath of battle. Quite.

Interesting comments from Marshall. Even though the seeding system until now has been illogical it's made for a more interesting competition.

Latest posts