• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup proves it's grim down south - Justin Marshall

<div class='quotemain'>
who in their right mind would watch manawatu vs wollongong?
[/b]

Don't knock the gong mate! clearly it's the center of the earth. [/b][/quote]

exactly. imagine the media coverage of it now - CENTER EARTH VS MIDDLE EARTH!!!

...sure you can say that the competition is better in the north, the games are better in the south, but lets face it. the super 14 is far superior to the hec, and do you want me to bold it or make it text size 30435? GIVEN THE SITUATION THAT WE ARE IN. europe = more money more players, more teams. but clearly, given the resourses that they have, this shouldnt even be a topic. given the resorces that the north have, the hec should **** all over the super 14. but fact: it doesnt. fact: chances are alot of people will think the opposite. [/b]

Personally, i can't "face it". In my opinion the super 14 is by no means far superior to the HEC. We have some absolutely amazing games, with amazing history behind them. I can't sit down and watch a super 14 match very often becase there is no interest there for me. As a neutral i can enjoy some of the rugby on display, but i'm clueless to a majority of the players.
You can moan all you want about resources but in regards to this we shouldn't need to say "given the situation we're in...we're better."
It's a comparison of the two competitions...not a comparison of the two competitions considering the situation you're in.
I don't really care what situation you're in, as far as i'm concerned i will always see HEC as superior - no it doesn't **** all over super 14, of course not, becuase there are so many talented players down there - and it's not becuase we have more money, not because we have so many different countries providing so many different teams and players of different styles and abilities, but simply becuase i'm biased. Like you're biased towards the super 14, i don't think you can objectively say which is the better and neither can i. But i sure as hell know which i prefer.
I know that with our clubs bringing some great players from the SH and with the great crop of players we have here makes me enjoy this; i know that with the money the competition offers everyone puts their heads down and plays like they haven't all season (see ospreys and munster); I know that with so much history and so much braggings rights that each game is a tense ride throughout; I know that to each fan - and probably players and clubs - this is the one competition you want to win the most.

Those are the reasons i enjoy the HEC and those are the reasons i believe that neither you or i can argue one competition over the other: we're too biased.

If they had to combine both, and make a Super Heineken League, i reckon all 4 top teams in that competition would come from the Super 14. Nuf said.

If they had to combine both, and make a Super Heineken League, i reckon all 4 top teams in that competition would come from the Super 14. Nuf said.
[/b]

Nuf said? Not really, make your case for your four teams then!

Nuf said? Not really, make your case for your four teams then![/b]

When on form I reckon the Bulls can beat anyone.
CRUSADERS BLUES HURRICANES

That is all.

well then if you're going to go on form then Leinster, Munster, Leicester, Wasps, Gloucester, Paris, Toulouse can all beat anyone.

<div class='quotemain'>
If you say so......
[/b]

It's just so staggering the quality and substance of your argument, it's putting me to shame :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Not one team in that pisswilly league can beat the Crusaders, and you know it. The slow ass pace of that league is like soccer with an oval shaped ball. There is one exciting player there out of a million teams (Shane Williams btw) whereas the SH's style, flair and speed is just......better.

[/b]
Ahemm.. Aren't we forgeting someone? :blink:

[/b]
Ahemm.. Aren't we forgeting someone? :blink:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
If you say so......
[/b]

It's just so staggering the quality and substance of your argument, it's putting me to shame :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Not one team in that pisswilly league can beat the Crusaders, and you know it. The slow ass pace of that league is like soccer with an oval shaped ball. There is one exciting player there out of a million teams (Shane Williams btw) whereas the SH's style, flair and speed is just......better.
[/b][/quote]

Wow that showed me, one player and that's all we've got and here was me thinking Dan Carter was the only decent player in Super 14 :rolleyes:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
If you say so......
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Wow that showed me, one player and that's all we've got and here was me thinking Dan Carter was the only decent player in Super 14 :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Touche you Irish *******......Touche

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
If you say so......
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Not one team in that pisswilly league can beat the Crusaders, and you know it. The slow ass pace of that league is like soccer with an oval shaped ball. There is one exciting player there out of a million teams (Shane Williams btw) whereas the SH's style, flair and speed is just......better. [/b][/quote]

Your argument has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. The fact you've called the Heineken Cup "that league" makes it blindingly obvious than anything else you say on the matter should be disregarded as ignorant drivel.

IRB International Player Of Year:

2004 - Schalk Burger (RSA)
2005 - Dan Carter (NZ)
2006 - Richie McCaw (NZ)
2007 - Bryan Habana (RSA)

Your argument has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. The fact you've called the Heineken Cup "that league" makes it blindingly obvious than anything else you say on the matter should be disregarded as ignorant drivel.[/b]

Then you obviously didn't understand what the word was used for you bum. It emphasizes the inferiority of it...

Watching the Super 14 is like watching paint dry. I don't get all this hype surrounding it (Then again it is only from the Southern Hemisphere). But people talk about the Heineken Cup being boring, whereas the S14 bores the **** out of me. Bar the World Cup, there's not a more exciting rugby event than the Heineken Cup knockout stages, despite Llanelli being stuffed like the chickens they are, I can't effing wait for the quarter finals this weekend.
So you can stuff your so called "Super" 14, we'll take the great rugby and passion instead.

rc, your posts is almost my exact point. after all the politics - it really does come down to the fact that im a blues supporter and from nz, so i have no intrest what so ever in hec, you however, as a opsreays supporter have no intrest in super 14. and thats fair enough. its when people like jerico go and say, that if they all played togeather the top 4 would be from the south. personally, i could guantee that the (and being a blues supporter it pains me to say this) that the crusaders would be the best. i also think that the blues and a south african team would also be up there in the top 4. but no way would all four be super 14 teams. then you get what is behind my last post, when you get mr speedy talking down the super 14. its more back play then foward play (please - dont start this pathetic argument) so we are expecting a diffrent style of play in the first place.

we're too biased.[/b]
thats it really. even from a outsider - someone from japan or usa etc, they still side with a team.

3)retirement. yes the old "northern grandpa rugby" is a reality. unlike steriotypes of it being only old players (see points one and two) but more of a combination of the prior two. if you know you will not ever make the all blacks again (ala justin marshall, carlos spencer, paul ***o) then, assuming that you dont have the responcibility of holding a team togeather (long serving naki lock ***o would have been torn to leave) then why not go over seas to finnish your carrer? i would. its not a bad thing by any means.
[/b]

Just wondering, did Paul ***o ever get an All Black cap? I know he captained the NZ Maori, but they never actually mentioned if he got a full cap when he joined Cardiff Blues.

I can see what Marshall is saying, but he's Justin Marshall, he's bound to p*** somebody off when he talks about stuff to the media. Funny guy though, loved his inputs on ScrumV during the World Cup and Six Nations specials. But I agree with the fact that maybe the Super 14 can be a bit repetitive with the same teams playing each other, every season, with no other kind of tournament as well. While compared to the Ospreys for example, who play in the Magners League (which is a better tournament that people say), EDF Anglo-Welsh Cup and the Heineken Cup. But, to be honest the quality of the exciting rugby played in the Super 14 makes that irrelevant. They should add in an Argentinean club, when Argentina gets some sort of pro division going, and maybe like a composite Pacific Islands XV, so they can help develop the Argentinean and Pacific Islanders game, as well as adding in just that extra bit of new spice.

Latest posts