• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Quarter Final Matchups

You're completely missing the point. All of teams playing semi finals at those venues were home matches. Toulouse playing in the Stade Municipal is hardly "somewhat neutral" is it? That's a home game.

That's a loophole for teams that have that luxury but it sometimes unavoidable. Other side is for instance like Munster in 2009 played Leinster in a "home"semi final in Croker.
It's not neutral in your points but it's still forcing them to play in a pitch they are not completely used to.

You're completely missing the point. All of teams playing semi finals at those venues were home matches. Toulouse playing in the Stade Municipal is hardly "somewhat neutral" is it? That's a home game.

I explained the rules of the competition, home country advantage = a home game but the fact they can't play in their home stadium, it's slightly less of a home game. It'd be like England playing a match in Wembley instead of Twickenham, still a home game but they'd rather play in Twickenham therefore making it slightly more neutral.

Change flights in Paris and you can fly into the local airport. Orly and CdG are both terrible airports though, give plenty of time to connect.

I explained the rules of the competition, home country advantage = a home game but the fact they can't play in their home stadium, it's slightly less of a home game. It'd be like England playing a match in Wembley instead of Twickenham, still a home game but they'd rather play in Twickenham therefore making it slightly more neutral.

So is France playing in Marseille instead of the Stade de France "slightly more neutral"? I don't buy that. Only on a few occasions has there been a ground that was merely "home country" in my opinion, the Clermont games, Ulster and Munster in 2009. The rest are just home games played at the team's usual big game home stadium, Toulouse have played at the Stade Municipal often.

Name once a team has played in home stadium

I think I've been clear enough with my statement. A team can only play in their home stadium if it's been appointed that they should when they beat a team who isn't playing in their home stadium after they've lost and advanced to the 1/2 F when they win as they've beaten the team before, hence playing at home after the victory. Facts man, facts. You have to get them right, the facts.

I think I've been clear enough with my statement. A team can only play in their home stadium if it's been appointed that they should when they beat a team who isn't playing in their home stadium after they've lost and advanced to the 1/2 F when they win as they've beaten the team before, hence playing at home after the victory. Facts man, facts. You have to get them right, the facts.

No they can't though. If you can show me 1 example I will say fair enough but you can't. The fact is no team can play in their home stadium. Check ERC rules that'll give you facts and again if you can show 1 just 1 example of a team who could play in their home stadium I will say ok. Use your facts now

So is France playing in Marseille instead of the Stade de France "slightly more neutral"? I don't buy that. Only on a few occasions has there been a ground that was merely "home country" in my opinion, the Clermont games, Ulster and Munster in 2009. The rest are just home games played at the team's usual big game home stadium, Toulouse have played at the Stade Municipal often.

The point is they can't play in home stadium. For example Munster can't play in Thomond but in Aviva. Most guys know it from Ireland but Munster as a team aren't to familiar. It's playing on a pitch that is not familiar with either team. The rule just states it can't be at their nominated home stadium. Like if attendance met standard Munster can play SF at Musgrave Park. Basically they can play anywhere other there official home stadium.

1.1 The Tournament will be played in accordance with the IRB's Laws of the Game of Rugby Union (as amended from time to time), as varied or supplemented by ERC.

2. TOURNAMENT FORMATPOOL MATCHES
2.1 Four points for a win, two points for a draw. A bonus point will be awarded to a club scoring four or more tries and to a club losing by seven points or fewer.

2.2 The six pool winners and two best-placed runners-up will qualify for the quarter-finals and will be decided as follows:

(a) The pool winner will be the club with the highest number of match points in each pool. The best-placed runners-up will be the two clubs with the highest number of match points out of the six clubs that finish second in their respective pools. For the quarter-finals, the pool winners will be ranked 1 to 6 and the best-placed runners-up 7 and 8 by reference to the number of match points earned.

(b) If two or more clubs in the same pool are equal on match points, their ranking will be determined by the matches played between the relevant clubs as follows:

(i) the club with the greater number of match points from those matches; or

(ii) if equal, the club that scored the most tries in those matches; or

(iii) if equal, the club with the best aggregate points difference from those matches.

(c) If ranking remains unresolved and/or if clubs have not played each other previously in the pool stage, ranking will be determined as follows:

(i) the number of tries scored in the pool stage; or

(ii) if equal, the best aggregate points difference from the pool stage; or

(iii) if equal, the club with the fewest number of players suspended for incidents in the pool stage; or

(iv) if equal, by drawing lots.

KNOCKOUT STAGE
2.3 The Clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:

CLUB 1 V CLUB 8
CLUB 2 V CLUB 7
CLUB 3 V CLUB 6
CLUB 4 V CLUB 5
2.4 The semi-finals will be played at a venue designated by ERC, with the opponents in each match determined by a draw conducted by ERC. The final will be played at a venue designated by ERC.

2.5 In the event of a tie at full-time in the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final, extra time of 10 minutes each way will be played. If the scores remain tied, the winner will be determined as follows:

(a) the club that scored the most tries in the match (including extra time) or

(b) if equal, by a place-kick competition.

3. ELIGIBILITY OF PLAYERS
3.1 Each club must nominate a squad of up to 38 players. A minimum of 10 of the players nominated by the club must be capable of playing in front row forward positions. All such players must, on registration, be fully and properly registered with their club and Union and available to play for the club from that date.

3.2 A club must nominate a squad of between 19 and 23 players for each match.

3.3 A minimum of six front row players must be included in each match squad such that on the first occasion that a replacement is required in each position, a replacement can be made. Where uncontested scrums are ordered due to the departure of a front row player and there is no suitable replacement, the player whose departure caused the uncontested scrums may not be replaced (i.e. the club will be required to play with 14 players).

3.4 In order to reduce the possibility of uncontested scrums, each club may also nominate further front row players, referred to as 'Emergency Front Row players', who may be registered with ERC on a match-by-match basis provided that all necessary details of the players have been submitted before 12 noon (GMT) on 19 September 2013. The provision for the nomination of Emergency Front Row players is not intended to allow clubs to improve the quality of their squads, and is designed to cater for illness and/or injury in the relevant positions. The players added to squads will typically come from a club's academy or similar.

3.5 Each club may register up to two additional players during the pool stage, each to replace a player previously registered. If a club registers two additional players, one such player must be a front row player. Additional players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament. Additional player registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on the Tuesday before the match. De-registered players may be re-registered (in place of the relevant additional players) during the pool stage.

3.6 Each club involved in the knockout stage may register up to three further players. If a club registers three further players, one such player must be a front row player. Such registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on 20 March 2014. The players in question must not have played for another club in the tournament.

3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two 'non-European players' in each match squad.

4. CLUB COLOURS
4.1 For pool matches and quarter-finals, if a club fails to wear the strip designated by ERC and there is a colour clash, that club must change strip. For the semi-finals and final, in the event of a colour clash, the club to change strip will be at ERC's discretion.

5. ANTI-DOPING PROGRAMME
5.1 Players will be subject to doping control as set out in ERC's Anti-Doping Programme, which is based on and subject to Regulation 21 (Anti-Doping) of the IRB Regulations.

6. DISCIPLINE
6.1 Where reasonably practicable, a player shown a red card will have his case heard within seven days of the relevant match.

6.2 ERC will appoint a Citing Commissioner for each match. The Citing Commissioner will be entitled to cite a player for any acts of Foul Play that warranted the player being shown a red card. Clubs will not have the power to cite a player but may refer incidents to the Citing Commissioner within 26 hours of the start of the match. The Citing Commissioner will have 50 hours from the start of the match to submit a citing complaint to ERC, although this deadline may be extended in certain circumstances. ERC may refer the complaint to a Citing Officer (also referred to as a 'Gatekeeper') to determine whether it should proceed. The case will then proceed to a disciplinary hearing.

6.3 In accordance with IRB Regulations, a player who has been shown a red card in any non-Heineken Cup match and/or who is the subject of a citing complaint arising out of a non-Heineken Cup match, and who has not had his case heard by his Union or other relevant disciplinary body, shall not be able to participate in a Heineken Cup match.

7. ABANDONMENT
7.1 Where a match is abandoned after 60 minutes or more, the result will stand.

7.2 Where a match is abandoned after fewer than 60 minutes, (a) if both clubs and the ERC Board agree, the result will stand, or (b) the match will be replayed in full no earlier than 48 hours after kick-off of the abandoned match (unless both clubs and ERC agree otherwise), with both clubs entitled to select new teams.

8. TOURNAMENT MEDIA REGULATION - TEAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
8.1 Each club must announce its match squad by 12 noon (GMT) on the Thursday before a Friday match and 12 noon (GMT) on the Friday before a weekend match. The match squad announced must not differ from the squad that plays save in exceptional circumstances. Breaches of the match squad regulations may result in fines being imposed by the Board of ERC.

In 2.4 it states ERC pick the venue for Semis not club and they also are 1s who say it's "home country" advantage

Don't buy it so, I'd rather have any team away in the semis than the quarters as a Leinster fan though.

"3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two 'non-European players' in each match squad."

Now I know this can't true, somebody care to explain?

I believe that's the "KOLPAK" ruling, or at least that's what is in the premiership - it's a little more complicated than "non-European" players, as it also includes Pacific Islands, and goes on residency/eligibility rather than where they were born etc.
Forrrrrrrr example, Sam Tuitupou, despite being capped for New Zealand, has a Tongan passport so doesn't count as a "foreign" player. Cobilas, despite being moldovan, has a Romanian passport, Ostrikov has a French etc.etc.

OK SO I PUT MY HANDS UP and surrender, when i said home, this being the home town, Toulouse Leinster , Leicester, Cardiff all played in there home towns, cities, these are hardly neutral grounds as far as the opposition is concerned it would be a bit silly to hold a game in a home ground that has a capacity of less than 20,000 when there is double the size just down the road. If you are all going to take every word as gospel and never read between the line so be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The other day someone wrote Clermont 73 wins on the trot at home it is actually 71 this very day, did i make a fuss no of course not a small mistake that is all everyone makes mistakes.
but thanks Duck for the support.!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
"3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two 'non-European players' in each match squad."

Now I know this can't true, somebody care to explain?

Long complicated but if you have pacific islands or South African passports and few other countries your not classed as non-eu

OK SO I PUT MY HANDS UP and surrender, when i said home, this being the home town, Toulouse Leinster , Leicester, Cardiff all played in there home towns, cities, these are hardly neutral grounds as far as the opposition is concerned it would be a bit silly to hold a game in a home ground that has a capacity of less than 20,000 when there is double the size just down the road. If you are all going to take every word as gospel and never read between the line so be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The other day someone wrote Clermont 73 wins on the trot at home it is actually 71 this very day, did i make a fuss no of course not a small mistake that is all everyone makes mistakes.
but thanks Duck for the support.!!!!!!!!!!!

Well maybe next time you'll check facts first ;)

Facts man, facts...
hey, you double-post a lot man. Just sayin, it's nicer when it's tidy...

FACTS !!! FAAAAACTS !!!!!!!!!!

A double post is same post twice. If you can show once where I done that then fine. Yes I answer separate posts separately as I prefer it.

You say facts but thing is you can't give any ;).
You had "facts" right on home stadiums for Semis but you were wrong.
Double post. Again wrong.
You say fact yet you've yet to be right on anything with facts.
Just saying maybe grasp English better and know what you say and I will go better and predict you will change subject or some BS!

A double post is same post twice. If you can show once where I done that then fine. Yes I answer separate posts separately as I prefer it.

You say facts but thing is you can't give any ;).
You had "facts" right on home stadiums for Semis but you were wrong.
Double post. Again wrong.
You say fact yet you've yet to be right on anything with facts.
Just saying maybe grasp English better and know what you say and I will go better and predict you will change subject or some BS!

DUDE !!! I'm sorry to be mean but you're so slow you STILL don't see I was making fun the whole way, just read those posts I typed, they're deliciously incoherent all the way !
"Double posting" my small friend means you're posting two posts in a row. That's what it's commonly known for, in all 4 corners of the world, since the existence of online forums. Unless you've returned to a thread you were the last to post in hours or days ago, it's double-posting. And it sucks.
And you're telling ME to grasp English when you can't go two full sentences without at least one grammatical or spelling mistake you fkn forest savage !! And it's your first language you idiot !!! :lol:
:rofl: duuuuuude, come on, man !!!

Again, apologies for the meanness but your post was downright sktech-worthy and unacceptable.

DUDE !!! I'm sorry to be mean but you're so slow you STILL don't see I was making fun the whole way, just read those posts I typed, they're deliciously incoherent all the way !
"Double posting" my small friend means you're posting two posts in a row. That's what it's commonly known for, in all 4 corners of the world, since the existence of online forums. Unless you've returned to a thread you were the last to post in hours or days ago, it's double-posting. And it sucks.
And you're telling ME to grasp English when you can't go two full sentences without at least one grammatical or spelling mistake you fkn forest savage !! And it's your first language you idiot !!! :lol:
:rofl: duuuuuude, come on, man !!!

Again, apologies for the meanness but your post was downright sktech-worthy and unacceptable.
Well here in my corner double post is same thing twice. And if you had eyes you'd see each post was reply to each thread and well you try slag me over grammar! Obviously you not on site long so but for laugh what are my errors? Let's test your grammar and I'd say you'd be idiot saying semis are able to be played at home and had facts yet when asked you run away or change subject and again I said something and predicted you'd move to new issue and bang you deliver on the money.
But can't wait to see my grammar mistakes. Your up now....

Latest posts