• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Quarter Final: Munster v Ulster - 08/04/2012

Anyone notice it and how bad was it?
Tip tackle - I didn't notice it live, but when they showed it on replay it seemed pretty bad. Didn't look malicious/Jones seemed fine, but it was comparable to Warburtons in the WC, so if there's consistency (Hahaha!) he'll be gone for a few weeks.

Found it...

I can see how a suspension would be coming... Afoa's left shoulder does jerk up a little quickly for my liking...

Last edited by a moderator:
Was a definite dump tackle and well I feel Afoa will 100% miss semi-final.
Felix was ok thank god and well look if Afoa is cleared to play we won't be *****ing down here but just don't want to see it become a precedent that players will be trying these tip tackles and only getting slap on wrists. It seems until someone gets paralyzed or worst that we will just tip toe around the possibilities and dangers of these offenses until it's too late.
And again this isn't relating to only Afoa's challenge. It seems this offense is on a regular occasion lately.

Oh for gods sake. Previously we'd have said how that's a great tackle, it is. It wasn't dangerous, it was a little late but Afoa was committed to it. Grow a pair people

Oh for gods sake. Previously we'd have said how that's a great tackle, it is. It wasn't dangerous, it was a little late but Afoa was committed to it. Grow a pair people
What if he broke his shoulder or neck which could easily have happened. He drove a player in to the ground. The player being tackled in them situations most of the time has no arm free or time to protect/break their fall. So how can they "grow a pair".
Must say simply that's a ridiculous statement out of you and don't know are you a WUM.

Afoa I'm sure had no malicious intentions but it was still an illegal tackle according to the rules and late or not the technique was illegal.

Professionalism is turning sport so soft and it ****** ME OFF!!!!

What if he broke his shoulder or neck which could easily have happened. He drove a player in to the ground. The player being tackled in them situations most of the time has no arm free or time to protect/break their fall. So how can they "grow a pair".
Must say simply that's a ridiculous statement out of you and don't know are you a WUM.

Afoa I'm sure had no malicious intentions but it was still an illegal tackle according to the rules and late or not the technique was illegal.

Wow to call him a WUM ... wow. Cannot agree with that sorry.

Wow to call him a WUM ... wow. Cannot agree with that sorry.
I meant that as sarcastic :p

@Cyril: I agree. My point is in relation to what the laws are. But do agree some players are getting soft and letting crap like feigning injuries to time-waste and going down in an effort to get opposition binned etc creeping in. The days of old when lats would go out and kick lumps out of eachother and give an entertaining honest game which usually ended in low scoring finish seem to be gone.

Meh, it's not that bad a tackle. He brings him down on his upper arm, so it's unlikely any damage would have been done.

If we used this "what if" scenario none of us would get up in the morning, "what if I get hit by a bus" or "what if everyone has bought all the petrol meaning I'm stuck on the hard shoulder of the M4 for 6 hours".

I maintain this tackle would have been applauded not long ago and yet now he gets citied? Ridic. I've only spoke my view on this, obviously differs from your own which is fair enough.

Not chuffed about the WUM thing though..

If we used this "what if" scenario none of us would get up in the morning, "what if I get hit by a bus" or "what if everyone has bought all the petrol meaning I'm stuck on the hard shoulder of the M4 for 6 hours".

I maintain this tackle would have been applauded not long ago and yet now he gets citied? Ridic. I've only spoke my view on this, obviously differs from your own which is fair enough.

Not chuffed about the WUM thing though..
As said I was being sarcastic regards WUM comment.
And while I agree and understand with what your saying my point is if the laws are there they have to be applied. And your point is along the same area's as Cyril's in that we are getting too soft possibly.

My main point is that I'm not really sure that the tackle in question was illegal at all. Did any of us watching when seeing the tackle go "oh thats a bad tackle". No, apart from the citing commisioner who, as his name suggests, must be working on commision based on the number of non-incidents that get referred

My main point is that I'm not really sure that the tackle in question was illegal at all. Did any of us watching when seeing the tackle go "oh thats a bad tackle". No, apart from the citing commisioner who, as his name suggests, must be working on commision based on the number of non-incidents that get referred

Do yourself a favour and go visit a hospital ward with paralysed people in it. Those tip tackles look harmless enough but they're potentially lethal!

Look at the replay. When Jones got the ball Afoa had his head down. He was committed to the tackle and followed through. High intensity situations cause people to hit everything that moves and the excitement got to afoa and it was "technikly" a dump tackle but in my opinion it was a dominant, powerful tackle. No need to go over the top

By the laws of the game, Jones landed in a non-vertical position, on his upper body, with his feet still in the air, and that will get you in trouble.

Not that long ago those sorts of tackles were praised, true, sometimes the game moves on. It is a potentially dangerous situation. Of course, most of rugby is, and the number of people seriously hurt by such incidents is remarkably few. Nevertheless, I'm all for trying to get this thing out of the game.

There was nothing malicious in it, I'm not even sure it merits a ban as Afoa did bring him down safely (well, it ended out safely)... ehh, whatever, I would be displeased if it gets more than the low end of the scale, but not that bothered if it goes through. Fair enough.

Do yourself a favour and go visit a hospital ward with paralysed people in it. Those tip tackles look harmless enough but they're potentially lethal!

I wouldnt tell it to them that way if I were you

At the end of the day the laws state you're not allowed to tackle like that, so players shouldn't tackle like that regardless of whether or not the other player is put at any risk of injury.
If he gets cited it's because he went against the laws of the game with his actions.

I/we/whoever may not agree with it, but thems the rules and everyone who steps on to a rugby pitch has to follow them.

JOHN AFOA DECISION

The Ulster Rugby prop John Afoa (No 3), has been suspended for four (4) weeks following a Disciplinary Hearing in Dublin today, Thursday, 12 April arising from the Heineken Cup quarter-final match against Munster Rugby on Sunday, 8 April 2012.

Afoa was alleged to have carried out a dangerous tackle on the Munster full back Felix Jones (No 15) during the second half of the match at Thomond Park. The complaint was made by Citing Commissioner, Peter Larter (England).

The independent Judicial Officer, Jean-Nöel Couraud (France), heard evidence and submissions from Afoa who pleaded not guilty to foul play. The player was accompanied by Ulster Rugby, Director of Rugby David Humphreys, Team Manager David Millar and legal representative Donal Spring. The Judicial Officer also heard evidence and submissions from ERC Disciplinary Officer, Roger O’Connor.

The Judicial Officer upheld the citing complaint and found that the offence warranted a red card, and employing the IRB recommended sanctions for Law 10.4(j), he determined that the offence was at the mid-range entry point of six (6) weeks. In reference to the IRB’s directive on this pattern of offending (tip tackles), he then added a further one (1) week as a deterrent.

Having then considered the mitigating factors, including the player’s clean record, good character, age and experience, the Judicial Officer allowed a reduction of three (3) weeks, before imposing a suspension of four (4) weeks.

Afoa will be free to play on Monday, 7 May . Both the player and ERC have the right to appeal the decision.

Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and either dropping or driving that player’s head and/or upper body into the ground whilst the player’s feet are off the ground.

Under the IRB Recommended Sanctions for Offences Committed within the Playing Enclosure, Law 10.4 (j) carries the following penalties: Low End: 3 weeks; Mid Range: 6 weeks; Top End: 10+ to 52 weeks.

NOTES TO EDITORS
i) Citing Commissioner
a) Citing Commissioners are appointed by ERC for all Heineken Cup and all televised Amlin Challenge Cup matches and shall be entitled to cite a Player for any act or acts of Foul Play that in the Citing Commissioner's opinion warranted a citing.
b) For such matches Clubs will not have the power to cite a player but may refer incidents to the Citing Commissioner within 24 hours of the conclusion of the match.
c) The Citing Commissioner will have 50 hours from the start of the game to make a citing. In exceptional circumstances this deadline can be extended.
d) The ERC Disciplinary Officer, Roger O'Connor, may forward the submitted Citing to a Citing Officer to determine whether there are sufficient grounds for the citing to progress.
e) The Disciplinary Officer will then bring a charge against the cited player.
ii) Disciplinary Hearing
a) Citing hearings will be heard by an independent Judicial Officer as soon as is practicable. Until the hearing a cited player is eligible to play in ERC tournaments.
b) The independent Judicial Officer is chosen by the Chairman of the independent Disciplinary Panel, Professor Lorne Crerar.
c) ERC’s Disciplinary Officer, Roger O'Connor, presents the case against the player.
d) Both parties to the hearing (ERC and the player) have the right to appeal decisions of the independent Disciplinary Hearing. Appeals must be lodged within 3 business days of receiving the full written decision from the Chairman of the independent Disciplinary Committee.

ERC Media

Latest posts