• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Semi Final: Clermont vs Leinster - 29/04/12

I rate Wayne Barnes but I think he made some major calls wrong. By in large I think he was right with the scrums, however in the lineouts there was some clear illegal interference, Heaslip's comes to mind. His refereeing of the breakdown was scrappy, some sharp penalties for illegal entrances would have put a stop to that. Yes he misses the Leo Cullen punch, but if he and his other officials didn't see it than what more can he do? that's what citings are for. He did however fail to increase sanctions for consistent infringements. Leinster should have had a yellow in the second half. One situation was a good example of this..... there was a time in the match where he was warning Cullen about persistent penalities, Cullen however was having his fingered taped, was paying no attention and then clearly did not tell his team the refs instruction. Now Barnes was correct in warning Cullen, but a top class ref would have told Cullen and the medics to wait untill he had finished speaking to Cullen before taping his fingers up so he would have had full attention on the ref and would have made sure Cullen had told his team. So when it appeared that Barnes was simply instructing Cullen appropriately, the message clearly didn't get through and Barnes should have spotted that.

I compared Healy to Zirakashvili as they were scrummaging opposite each other
So the Georgian is better than Healy because an incompetent ref would have penalised Healy, and because Healy is a loosehead prop? Is that your point? Could you just clear it up a little cause thats all I could read into what you said.

Incidently, if you were to say that Georgina (see what I did there) > Ross, I'd agree.

Latest posts