• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Semi Final: Clermont vs Leinster - 29/04/12

I think Brock James is a much better flyhalf than Skrela but the French international's absence seriously diminishes the strength of their bench.

true, but they would have started Skrela had he been fit, seriously diminishing their side for at least 50 minutes

Also James' history counts in our favour.

James with history is better than Skrela without

No cause Skela would be able to kick. I've always wondered why Parra doesn't kick.

I see that Wayne Barnes is on reffing duty for this one. I'm happy enough with that, Barnes has never struck me as the worst ref.

Skrela being out is a big enough blow for Clermont. Regardless of what his detractors say, he's an international out half with bags of experience of big days for both club and country. He's also got a pretty decent record against us too. While James has been very good this season, should he have a stinker, as he has had on the big day before, they're up s**t creek.

Do Clermont have any other injury concerns? I've heard that there's a chance Bardy won't be fit, but that's about all.

I see that Wayne Barnes is on reffing duty for this one. I'm happy enough with that, Barnes has never struck me as the worst ref.

Skrela being out is a big enough blow for Clermont. Regardless of what his detractors say, he's an international out half with bags of experience of big days for both club and country. He's also got a pretty decent record against us too. While James has been very good this season, should he have a stinker, as he has had on the big day before, they're up s**t creek.

Do Clermont have any other injury concerns? I've heard that there's a chance Bardy won't be fit, but that's about all.

They've got Brent Russell, problem sorted.

Does he play 10 for them a lot? You'll have to pardon my ignorance.

No, last time he did was the Amlin quarters v Stade. Threw two intercept tries but scored one himself. ;)
I just always liked him, messed around on the wing when he would have made a good outside half. Sharks played Barritt at 10 ahead of him (mind you, it was Dick Muir coaching).

I agree Skrela is a blow, as Clermont could do with a back up fly half on the bench in case James has an off day

but the fact is, they have been starting him in all big games this season, and he really does not suit the way Clermont are trying to play, and would be on for at least 50 minutes and during that time Clermont would really struggle to get into the game

when James came on vs Ulster after 50 minutes, he changed the game more towards Clermont, he also was a star against Saracens

also for the neutrals, playing James makes it a much better game

the players out injured are:
Thomas Domingo (long term, been out since October)
Clément Ric
Gerhard Vosloo
Julien Bardy
David Skrela
Anthony Floch (probably wouldn't play anyway ahead of Byrne or Buttin)
Gonzalo Canale (wouldn't play anyway ahead of Fofana or King)

the biggest loss is Vosloo and Bardy as they have both been on good form this season and it leaves Clermont a bit thin on back rowers

No cause Skela would be able to kick. I've always wondered why Parra doesn't kick.

Parra does kick for Clermont, he's scored 56 points in the Heineken Cup this season, I don't know what you're talking about

Gutting. Sky and Internet being removed from my flat as my flatmate is leaving on Friday so will miss the game

TRF_MOD: No stream links please!

This will be a cracker and really looking forward to it.......Clermont have the advantage as it is in France, although less than had it been played in Clermont, but Leinster were my tip to win the H Cup from the outset. I am going with Clermont who are bang in form and I am looking forward to seeing Brock James extract his revenge owing to the fact that he is a better 10 than the injured Skrela although expect Parra to take the kicks........Shame it is not the Final as the winner will walk that against Ulster despite the latter's season long improvement and their becoming, like Saffracens, a Sud Africaans team!!

Last edited by a moderator:
TRF_MOD: No stream links please!

This will be a cracker and really looking forward to it.......Clermont have the advantage as it is in France, although less than had it been played in Clermont, but Leinster were my tip to win the H Cup from the outset. I am going with Clermont who are bang in form and I am looking forward to seeing Brock James extract his revenge owing to the fact that he is a better 10 than the injured Skrela although expect Parra to take the kicks........Shame it is not the Final as the winner will walk that against Ulster despite the latter's season long improvement and their becoming, like Saffracens, a Sud Africaans team!!

As much as I agree that the winner of this game will most likely win in the final, I doubt they will "walk" it! Ulster have already beaten Clermont this season and in my opinion actually made them look very beatable in France. Take away the home advantage for Clermont, add in the factor that they aren't exactly amazing playing away and also that Ulster generally have a good record against French teams.....

. Take away the home advantage for Clermont, add in the factor that they aren't exactly amazing playing away and also that Ulster generally have a good record against French teams.....

Tell Saffracens that after the quarter final win by Clermont in Watford...........................!! Ulster had a fantastic, and deserved, result against Munster but a Final against Clermont/Leinster would be a much bigger step up on that!

Tell Saffracens that after the quarter final win by Clermont in Watford...........................!! Ulster had a fantastic, and deserved, result against Munster but a Final against Clermont/Leinster would be a much bigger step up on that!

Remind me what happened when Ulster played Clermont earlier in the year?

Clermont Auvergne: Lee Byrne; Sitiveni Sivivatu, Aurelien Rougerie (capt), Wesley Fofana, Julien Malzieu; Brock James, Morgan Parra; Lionel Faure, Benjamin Kayser, Davit Zirakashvili; Jamie Cudmore, Nathan Hines; Julien Bonnaire, Alexandre Lapandry, Elvis Vermeulen.
Replacements: Ti'i Paulo, Vincent Debaty, Daniel Kotzen, Julien Pierre, Julien Bardy, Ludovic Radosavljevic, Regan King, Jean-Marcel Buttin.

Leinster: Rob Kearney; Isa Nacewa, Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald; Jonathan Sexton, Isaac Boss; Cian Healy, Richardt Strauss, Mike Ross; Leo Cullen (capt), Brad Thorn; Sean O'Brien, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip
Replacements: Sean Cronin, Heinke van der Merwe, Nathan White, Devin Toner, Kevin McLaughlin, Eoin Reddan, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden

It's very, very diffucult to pick a weakness in either side. Leinster have picked a very physical starting team with Cullen and White in the second row, Jennings at openside and Boss at scrumhalf. I exp[ect them to try and up the tempo with Cronin, McLaughlin and Reddan coming on between the 50th and 60th minute. Can't wait for this game. Pity the flights are so bloody expensive because I'd love to be there.

SoB at 6

kid-birthday-hat-gif.gif

Boss starting is a smart call from Schmidt (who knows Clermont inside out)
They will really have physicality added to start of this game and well 1 fear I'd really have about Leinster's front 5 is that the conditions and heat could really effect them and wear them down. Thorn and Cullen aren't young and well for the pack as a whole not used to the south of France can be a factor. It's alot different than playing there in a pool stage.

Boss starting is a smart call from Schmidt (who knows Clermont inside out)
They will really have physicality added to start of this game and well 1 fear I'd really have about Leinster's front 5 is that the conditions and heat could really effect them and wear them down. Thorn and Cullen aren't young and well for the pack as a whole not used to the south of France can be a factor. It's alot different than playing there in a pool stage.

Match is in Bordeaux isn't it? That'll not be too hot this time of year I'd think...

Latest posts