• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Semi Final: Clermont vs Leinster - 29/04/12

Nah, however we have convinced ourselves that taking HEC places away from the Pro12 and handing them to the PremierHype would be just about the daftest thing that anyone could suggest...

How's that chip on your shoulder? Has the doc figured it out yet?

Why would Ulster or Leinster fans sing a Munster song about a place in Connacht?
Just to be fussy, ye do know technically bits of Athenry are governed by Clare Council which is Munster and they are fields.
So technically we can claim to be singing about Munster

Just to be fussy, ye do know technically bits of Athenry are governed by Clare Council which is Munster and they are fields.
So technically we can claim to be singing about Munster

That's a beaut of a technicality :p

Hey, annoying Irish kids, which one of you is this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarify that one please

Instead of accepting that the PremierHype teams are simply not good enough - everything else but that is blamed in a scattergun approach to dealing with the reality - the PremierHype is the weakest major league in Europe (right now).

Instead of accepting that the PremierHype teams are simply not good enough - everything else but that is blamed in a scattergun approach to dealing with the reality - the PremierHype is the weakest major league in Europe (right now).

Yeah, there's a chip again.

Few points youngster:
1. I couldn't give a flying wedge about any other club/franchise in England or Elsewhere. I don't support "the league".
2. On your basis, Is the Celtic league "strong" when 1 or 2 Irish sides reach the HEC semis and the rest generally do nothing, or is it Purgatory for the players to occasionally get a run between internationals and HEC rugby? Oh yeah...
3. I terms of competition, the Top 14 is still the best league in the world. The AP is a pre-engineered even competition focused internally and run by old farts who don't like evolution. The Celtic franchise model is based on Test rugby and the HEC by only making players play 20 times a year. Of course, when you only have between 6-10 games a year remotely of interest for your franchise shirt, you won't look at it that way.

But believe what you want. I hardly give a toss about the opinion of some kid on the Internet who likes going off subject having a cheep pop at an Englishman. Bet it makes you feel real big with your witty comments like "PremierHype".

Oh, Olyy, behave yourself.

Right, I watched the first half again to have a look see at Clermont's grievances. We certainly got the rub of the green on occasion, but not to the extent that was made out by some on this board and the Clermont fans in the stadium. A few thoughts on that half:

Leinster were pretty dominant for the first 15 minutes, we really should have taken more points.

Clermont's scrum was most certainly on top, but the Leinster pack did okay not to allow them to turn that dominance into penalties. Some are saying that Barnes should have given Clermont more here, but I'd disagree. When Leinster infringed a penalty was given (Healy dropping his arm just before half time, for instance) but for the majority of scrums they were able to get the ball away before Clermont overwhelmed them. Full credit to Heaslip who did very well at the back.

That pass was definitely forward. It might have been slight, but the passers hands were pointing up the pitch, meaning that it wasn't just momentum carrying the ball forward. Can't argue with the footage on that one.

Leo probably should have walked for that punch. I reckon he was saved by the theatrical response of the Clermont lad.

That maul call on the Leinster line was a strange one. I didn't reckon the maul was formed for significant amount of time. harsh on Clermont. Sin é.

Sivivatu was a silly boy giving that penalty away. Exactly the kind of thing you can't afford to do in a semi-final. He made a lovely slap down on Sexton after Johnny 10 made a line break earlier though.

So yeah, we got a nice bit of luck. But that's the kind of luck you need when you're away in France. And let's not let that overshadow the main issue. That was our best performance of the season and it was barely enough. Two top teams played out a great match. Delighted.

In my Kevin Keegan accent
"I love it when Mite get wound up by a Irish poster"

Zirakashvili > Healy
For the 35 mins or so he lasts in a game possibly. Though one is a TH the other a LH.

I can only say that there are several more that should have been given to the Leinster players.............Fact is they were not
Sivivatu off the ball on Nacewa left Isa puking on the ground. Cudmore off the ball on Boss flattened him completely. No one have a problem with the props simulation after Cullens slap? There were shenanigans going on all over the park ffs and the breakdown was a complete mess, but thats what happens when both teams compete in the way these two do. Of course we got a few decisions, as did Clermont.

Clermont had every chance on that last 5 minutes of play to score, but they couldnt do it. They had all the ball in the first half, and they couldnt do it.

Incidently, Clermont fans have to be the best rugby fans in the game. The march to the stadium by both sets of fans, was by all accounts amazing, and the Leinster fans were treated fantastically both before and after the game. Thought the way they stayed behiond to applaud their team, even in defeat was classy.

Latest posts