• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Semi Final- Saracens v Clermont

I think Allianz is set up to have expansion down the line - they aren't selling out so it's not an issue at the moment.

Also, Vicarage Road was a dump, a move away from there was needed.

Agree about Vicarage road but wonder if the redevelopment of Allianz will ever proceed bearing in mind Wray's desire to play everywhere in the world other than at Allianz!!

I think the smaller main stand is due for an imminent upgrade, next year I think?

There is loads of space on that site though.

No it is true, we are not as good at open attacking rugby and we knew going in that if it got loose we lose. Simple as. We kept it structured and not many teams can keep with us when we make it a tacklefest, kick and chase, put it in the corner and just like a Boa constrictor squeeze the life out of you. Then we add the points when teams can't handle us, look at Harlequins, Tigers, Connacht and Clermont it is all the same gameplan- have the ball we beat you up then last 20 minutes we score 15+ points.

indeed, but although it's not the most flamboyant style I do actually like they play hard at the breakdown like that and are such a no nonsense organization. They recognize their qualities and how to optimize their potential and play a pragmatic game full of heart and good will.
Both Vunipolas add a lot of MASS and although Mako may be a liability in the scrum sometimes although he holds his own, he takes a whole lot to put down as a carrier. Burger is fantastic, I love K.Brown. The Sarries have a fantastic pack, they have a fearsome scrum (Clermont just happens to have one of the best in all Europe, thus the world). And of course their defense.

And again I really appreciate the try-scoring. That back-line can be a bit lackluster but has good quality in it. They're not all crazy flashy but they run fine lines, can have the ball circulate quickly and neatly, and just play an efficient backs game:

- Love the first try, very good stuff, creating space and depth out of nothing, double inside pass, score.
- I do think awarding the penalty try was harsh given the additional yellow to Brock J., but then again I don't know the rules.
- The Farrell one was superb, it's just a shame it looks so broken up and knockon-ish on the last catch. Although when I watch it again just now I realize the Clermont players all thought it was a knock-on and braked on their running. Look at Fofana for e.g.
- Excellent control on the 2nd Ashton try, he made that try. Some ppl thought there was luck there, but he gives the ball its trajectory with accurate kicking, great pace and control.
- Last two are very nice too, very different but both in their own way very solid stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts