• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Help Me Out Please

C

C A Iversen

Hi, I've got a problem upgrading the graphics card for an older computer that the missus uses. It's a Compaq Presario S3180an. Yeah I know it's an old model, but I basically want her to still be able to use it. It had some pretty terrible stats when I got it and it's even worse now. Anyhow here goes:

2.13ghz Processor
2x Memory Ports, each with 128mb of Ram
1x 64mb Graphics Card

Now I've upgraded the RAM, so as it's got 512mb in each slot, (the best the old thing can handle) and it's running alright for speed. It keeps crashing though, because windows requirements have grown over the years since this things came out and the graphics card is struggling now as it's an amazingly small amount. The RAM has helped a lot with speed, but it's almost as the graphics card is now lagging behind and can't keep up with the RAM.

So, please, please, can anyone help me find a good upgrade for the graphics card? Preferably as local as possible, then with a bit of luck Amy can use it and leave me to my machine in peace! :)

I'd suggest biting the bullet and replacing it. PCs are like cars - once one thing goes wrong and they get a taste for your money, the domino effect kicks in and you find yourself constantly spending money on it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Aug 4 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd suggest biting the bullet and replacing it. PCs are like cars - once one thing goes wrong and they get a taste for your money, the domino effect kicks in and you find yourself constantly spending money on it.[/b]

Quite possible, but am sure that this old beast only needs a graphics card. When I try and look them up though, they confuse the hell outta me. It's so close to working well it's just the graphics card and I'm sure of that. Know what ya mean though mate.

If it's that old, i'm asuming it uses an AGP graphics card, as opposed to the new PCI ones? If so, you could have a problem. AGP cards are no longer on the market...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 5 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If it's that old, i'm asuming it uses an AGP graphics card, as opposed to the new PCI ones? If so, you could have a problem. AGP cards are no longer on the market...[/b]

Yeah it does Jericho, it's a NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 AGP 8x Graphics, (64 mb shared memory). Thanks for the help. Any ideas of where to look for second hand ones or the like?

Found this page, will this help locate something? http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/tp/AGPVideo.htm

Yeah it will. If you can manage to find a shop that will still sell them, i would go for one of the cheaper ones. Getting a good one, like the 3850, would only mean that the rest of your system will be a bottleneck. I doub't you will be gaming or anything like that with a system like that. So, go for something like the 2600Pro. Also, make sure your power supply is strong enough to handle a bigger card, and also check your motherboards site to make sure it will be compatible.

Other than that, i'm not sure. Let me know if you need anything else.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Aug 5 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tried Trade Me?.[/b]

Just looking there now guys. Thanks so much Jericho, your right it wouldn't be for gaming. Just net usage, maybe playing some video clips occasionally and just usual non-gaming internet usage. It probably would bottleneck if I put too much on it. I was thinking maybe a 256mb card at best. That sound right or would just doubling up to 128mb be the way to go?

Here's a page from Trade Me guys. I'm honestly not sure, but would anyone please suggest which of these they'd go for? No responsibility to you guys for suggestions obviously. But maybe plenty of rep, lol!

So, which of these? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResu...amp;type=Search

7600GS. If you can spend a little more, Go for one of the 3650's. But if you are sure it's not for gaming, the 7600GS is more than adequate for video playback and such.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 5 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
7600GS. If you can spend a little more, Go for one of the 3650's. But if you are sure it's not for gaming, the 7600GS is more than adequate for video playback and such.[/b]

Literally a lifesaver man. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed with the graphics cards. I'll probably go for the 3650 and by the looks of it, it'll be all she needs!

No problem man! Also, be sure to check that your motherboard and power supply will be compatible! Rather safe thn sorry! Hope it works out for you man.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 5 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No problem man! Also, be sure to check that your motherboard and power supply will be compatible! Rather safe thn sorry! Hope it works out for you man.[/b]

Will check it out. Thanks heaps!

i'm not sure about south africa or nz, but i'm sure you can still get AGP cards here in aus. they are however a little more expensive than the PCI-E cards. you can still even get video cards for classic pci slots, i got one (128mg) for a machine at my previous employer so they could have triple displays (onboard vga + dual head pci card) it cost around $90 from memory.

i usually use staticice.com.au to find the best bargains, and now i believe the site has expanded to NZ, not sure how many shops are listed though, but all the good ones in aus are there.

here ya go, looking at around $60

http://staticice.co.nz/cgi-bin/search.cgi?...56mb&spos=3

by the way, i still run my PC built back in 2002... it's a p4 1.7 with 768mb on an old sd ram motherboard (max ram it will take) radeon 9600 128mb AGP video.
it runs xp sp3 and rugby 08 flawlessly, it doesn't everything i need it to do, hence the reason why it's still the only machine i use at home! there's no reason that you can't still use the machine you have for everyday things.

i have thought about upgrading and will probably do that within the next couple of years

Thanks also Insane Asylum. :)

Guys found this page with a list of motherboards on it and my model is compatible with the stats below apparently (mine's the S3180an). It states that the:

Onboard graphics memory allows UMA up to 128mb. Is this the limit of the upgrade size of my video card. If so a 256mb wouldn't be of use? Or are they just talking about the memory interface?

http://www.deal-stop.com/MBHP106_HP-5187-4...lorer-GL6E.lmsp

i'm pretty sure that means that the current built in graphics card is cabable of using up to 128mb of standard ram installed on your machine for graphics purposes.

if you purchase a new graphics card, it will have it's own ram on it, which means you can disable the onboard graphics card which has the effect of freeing up up to 128mb of standard ram to be used for running programs.

i hope that makes sense.

you are free to get whatever graphics card you like (brand/chipset/ram), as long as it has an AGP interface. don't forget to disable the current onboard graphics card through the BIOS.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Aug 5 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i'm pretty sure that means that the current built in graphics card is cabable of using up to 128mb of standard ram installed on your machine for graphics purposes.

if you purchase a new graphics card, it will have it's own ram on it, which means you can disable the onboard graphics card which has the effect of freeing up up to 128mb of standard ram to be used for running programs.

i hope that makes sense.

you are free to get whatever graphics card you like (brand/chipset/ram), as long as it has an AGP interface. don't forget to disable the current onboard graphics card through the BIOS.[/b]

How about this one? It's in my hometown and could pick it up. Only thing is, I'm not sure if this would overwhelm my old motherobard and power supply, lol.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Compone...n-233131126.htm

at a guess, that would work. however it's a lot of coin to spend on a machine that has little more than a few years left in it. if your willing to part with the money then that's ok but beware new motherboards only come with PCI-E and classic PCI slots, no more AGP, so this card would be useless in a new PC.

if you can find a radeon 9250 - 9600 second hand, you could probably score it for less than $50 which would be ideal value for money.

after all you wouldn't want to spend $4000 on chrome alloy wheels to fit to a standard DX rolla

Latest posts