• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Help me understand second rows responsibilities throughout a game

R

Random1234

Hi there! First time posting, hope this is in the correct place.

I haven't played rugby in like 6/7 years (since I was a small, skinny kid who loved to run). Now that I am trying to get back in to playing and I am stronger and bigger now, I have been giving the position of Second Row with the club I am playing with and will play my first game in a few days.

I understand (almost fully) me responsibilities in a scrum, but I would love some help/tips/suggestions on my responsibilities throughout the full game (where I should be standing, what/who I should be focusing on)

I have been watching a lot of videos and games to try and educate myself, but feel like I still have a ton to learn. Anything would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot!

Just in lineouts and win the ball (you'll be lifted obviously). In defense, when you're not actually in a ruck, you'll wanting to be guarding fairly close to the ruck, so first or second defender out when possible. You'll mainly be trying to make sure the other forwards are not making ground. As a tight forward think of yourself as the grunt of the team. Hit as many rucks as you can, and defend the close channels. In attack you'll probably be used to hit the ball up by either carrying from the base of the ruck or recieve short balls (so stand reasonably close to ruck and nearish the advantage line, while not stopping the halfback from passing to the backs).

Thanks for the quick response! So hit hard, get in to as much rucks as I can to retain possession and make sure that no other teams forwards aren't making ground?

Overall, where should I be on the pitch at all times (e.g. two guys from the left line)

I know these are really noob questions, but I haven't played in quite some time and really want to make sure I am doing the right stuff!

Is there anyone you recommend me to watch?

Thanks a lot buddy!

A good guy to watch would be someone like brodie retalick. He is very basic in his approach to the game, he is just a work horse but he is imo head and shoulders above most second rows these days

great to see another scottish poster here :), isn't a lot, and yeah Retallick is a good player to watch but as your a glasgow supporter you should watch Jonny Gray more and see what he does and for a young player is a great example for you :)

so many different second rower profiles out there: watch some England and New Zealand games, Launchbury, Lawes, Retallick and Whitelock are very competent to brilliant talents.
More classic but still entertaining to watch types: Pascal Papé (don't pick up his temper though..), Paul O'Connell, Alun Wyn Jones, Victor Matfield.
On the rise and very interesting profiles: Alexandre Flanquart and Sébastien Vahaamahina from France, Will Skelton (Aus).
I don't appreciate Bakkies Botha but for all the little things he does, the craftiness. Another Saffer: the young Etzebeth, the enforcer. Not my style though, too raw. But very useful.
Jamie Cudmore from Clermont (Canadian). A complete boor, fights often and stuff, but enormous frame, good power, and skill too.

Those are some of the relevant or interesting locks atm for me, as a viewer.

so many different second rower profiles out there: watch some England and New Zealand games, Launchbury, Lawes, Retallick and Whitelock are very competent to brilliant talents.
More classic but still entertaining to watch types: Pascal Papé (don't pick up his temper though..), Paul O'Connell, Alun Wyn Jones, Victor Matfield.
On the rise and very interesting profiles: Alexandre Flanquart and Sébastien Vahaamahina from France, Will Skelton (Aus).
I don't appreciate Bakkies Botha but for all the little things he does, the craftiness. Another Saffer: the young Etzebeth, the enforcer. Not my style though, too raw. But very useful.
Jamie Cudmore from Clermont (Canadian). A complete boor, fights often and stuff, but enormous frame, good power, and skill too.

Those are some of the relevant or interesting locks atm for me, as a viewer.
why not Jonny he is a great young second rower and in my eyes underrated

A lot depends on how athletic you are. The players Ewis mentioned like Launchbury and Lawes are very athletic guys who almost act like a back rower. Someone like Retallick is a genetic freak who can hit every single ruck and move bodies like no body else, Etzebeth is a big enforcer type but is quite dirty. Watch Bath's Dave Attwood from the weekend against Tigers in how he dominates the opponents in the lineout.

It entirely comes down to what style of game your team will play The best thing you can do is just pay attention in the team run through before the game, just so you know where your team mates are likely to be and where they expect you to be on phase play, and then stay near your prop in attack until you are confident that you can assess the situations yourself.

If it's a pod system playing in a flow pattern: so lots of rucks going across the field, then you'll either be in the first or second pod from the scrum or line out (for pods think group of players, normally around 3) and then it's a case of if your pod are carrying off the 9 or carrying of the 10 and if you will carry or just be expected to hit the contact to clear out after someone else carries.

To be fair that's the likeliest scenario and the pattern 99% of teams play.

The most important thing when defending is to not chase the rucks... if you aren't going to get there first then just set yourself as a defender in the line, if you're running to every ruck in defence, you're out of the game as a tackler, and it's most important that the defence is set before they attack. once you're in teh defensive line you can swap with the inside man if he's a back, and work your way in one or two positions whilst the ruck is playing out.

Then just make sure you come up in a line - don't shoot out and dont panic, just be patient and make your tackle.

Past that it all depends on where you are in the line. If you are close to the ruck - 1st or 2nd man then make sure you set low (hand on ground like an NFL Tackle or End), and looking in towards the ruck, don't worry about anything else just watch for the pick and goes and the scrum half sniping and forget about everything wider than you.... If you're wider out with the backs then try and make sure the gas men are on your outside and not inside.

To be honest that's probably all way too much for your first game back so just put in ton's of effort, listen to your team mates, and ENJOY it.

Last edited:
Lineout ~ jump, lift, organise
Scrum ~ set yourself correctly and push
Make tackles
Hit rucks
Positioning ~ Generally stand fairly close to rucks. If you're a good ball carrier then you will get yourself in positions to carry more obviously.

Hi there! First time posting, hope this is in the correct place.

I haven't played rugby in like 6/7 years (since I was a small, skinny kid who loved to run). Now that I am trying to get back in to playing and I am stronger and bigger now, I have been giving the position of Second Row with the club I am playing with and will play my first game in a few days.

I understand (almost fully) me responsibilities in a scrum, but I would love some help/tips/suggestions on my responsibilities throughout the full game (where I should be standing, what/who I should be focusing on)

I have been watching a lot of videos and games to try and educate myself, but feel like I still have a ton to learn. Anything would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot!

All you need to know as a second rower is that you are the enforcer in your side. Please do a 'Jamie Cudmore, red card' search on youtube and you will find all the answers you seek, and with video!

First game, all I would say for loose play is follow the ball without leaving a gap. If you're one of the two-three closest people to a ruck, hit. If there's two-three people closer, get into position to carry the ball from that attack. Similarly, in defence, if you the closest, hit it, if not, position yourself in the defensive line so there's no gap. Keep the fast guys outside you.

Hit hard, hit low, hit often and have fun.

Tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, ruck, maul, tackle, tackle, tackle, ruck, ruck, maul, run, tackle, tackle, tackle, ruck, tackle, ruck, run, tackle, Line-out

Tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, ruck, maul, tackle, tackle, tackle, ruck, ruck, maul, run, tackle, tackle, tackle, ruck, tackle, ruck, run, tackle, Line-out

Thanks everyone for the replies, really helps and is much appreciated.

I think I am understanding this well.

I am just going to hit hard, make sure other forwards aren't getting ground, hit every ruck that I can and overall just retain possession!

^ mm not very good Conrad tbh, musicality is a bit off.
I'd go more:
Tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, ruck, maul - tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, maul Line-out
Tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, ruck, maul - tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, maul Line-out
(ALL TOGETHER NOW)
Tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, ruck, maul - tackle, tackle, ruck, maul, tackle, ruck, maul
Line-out

I am just going to hit hard, make sure other forwards aren't getting ground, hit every ruck that I can and overall just retain possession!

This is not free, I want a Glasgow jersey in exchange for my sage advice.

:violin:

This is not free, I want a Glasgow jersey in exchange for my sage advice.

:violin:

If they weren't so expensive, I'd get all of you shirts!
However, I am going to their game tomorrow after my game so I will hopefully provide pictures! good enough, I guess :(

If they weren't so expensive, I'd get all of you shirts!
However, I am going to their game tomorrow after my game so I will hopefully provide pictures! good enough, I guess :(

don't listen to Conrad, he's as sage as my toothpaste. It's not expensive if you send just one out, so here's my address, and make sure you send by priority mail I have a notorious impatience. So it's: 44, Grasse Street,....

Latest posts