• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Help to tackle!

R

Rakulex

I love the game but my tackle is too poor i have injured my shouder many times and i don't tackle good yet, someone have training video, sites or an advice to make my tackle better?

The best thing to do is to start from scratch. Like we would do with players who are under 9`s and about to start their first season of full tackling.
The first drill is carried out on your knees at walking pace. Your partner should walk past you for front on and side on tackling. You should ensure your eyes are open throughout the tackle, arms wide, your shoulder should hit your partners thighs and on impact the arms must wrap around the legs until the man is down and count to 3. Ensure your head is in the correct position to land on top of the opponent. When your timing is improving stand up doing the walking drill, then jog through it and eventually you can do it at full pace with body armour. This will help with your confidence until you are ready for a match situation. Remember tackling is half technique and half balls. If you aint got the balls to make the tackle you will never improve.
Good luck with your practice and take things at a pace that suits you.

Im sure youve heard this lots times but when you tackle go as low as posible and try and avoid trying to grab them with your arms while standing wich many people do. Dive at them shoulder first and hold on with your arms as tight as possible. Even if their way biger than you if youve gone low enough and hold on they will fall.
Dont use tackle bags anyone can eisily smash into them and it wont help your techniqe

Maybe you should use a scrum cap to help you dive around. They make some people feel way more confident

There are a few simple rules I like to stick to when tackling, and learning them a few years back has helped me ten fold. Firstly, always go for the soft bits, there is more cushion and nothing hurts more than a boney knee to your collabone. Always watch the hips. Even if someone has a step like Jason Robinson or Shane Williams, the hips won't lie. They will give you a good indication as to where they are going. Going low is also important. Its basic physics, stop the momentum where the power is coming from. Most importantly in my book is don't go in with the intention of pulling a Brian Lima massive hit. Let him do the work. If they are running towards you, get a good grip round the ankles and let his momentum topple him over. Hope this helps, and remember, the bigger they are, the harder they fall!

Follow nick_w's advice about tackling and you won't go wrong.

Keep it low and accurate

If you are damaging your shoulders all the time, sonds like you could be getting your head on the wrong side. For this, practice using tackle bags (no matter what peppers07 siad), they are the perfect way to improve your technique without the risk of injury. Remember to practice tackling using both shoulders, not just your strongest side (usually right, for right handed people).

Now when you make the tackle, make sure your head is on the correct side, this is very important, or you WILL hurt yourself every time! If your tackline with your right shoulder, your head should be on the left of the player/bag. Tackling with your left, head on the right. This should come naturally most the time, but maybe not all the time.

Tackling low is a good idea, but anckles can end up with a few kicks to the head if anything goes wrong. I personally find the thighs the best area to aim for, then it's quite simple to slip down during the tackle to bring down a player of any size.

As nick_w said, don't be afraid to tackle anyone, no matter what their size. Probably the first thing my dad taught me when I was young was 'the bigger they are, the harder they fall' thing. The last thing I'll say is, always go all out into a tackle, not for a big hit, but never go in half hartedly, it's a sure way of picking up an injury.

Good luck with it!

When I started about seven months ago a had a very poor tackle so I had to hear my coach he said to tackle low between the knees and the pelvic area so with some effort taken I can now tackle pretty fine. :)

Latest posts