• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

He's gone. He's actually bloody gone!

I do really dislike some of the things that are being said about Lancaster. He won 80% of his Six Nations games and had a 60% win record during his entire international matches which is only 2nd to Woodward.

I honestly believe he brought a fantastic culture back to English rugby and a demand for good character - perhaps taken from his days as a PE teacher. Ultimately the Burgess gamble is the final nail in his coffin, however I really think the RFU wanted Burgess there so they could get 'value for money'. I am disappointed and would rather have a revamp of his coaching team than removing him.

If England want a world class coach I think Brian McLaughlin would be fantastic.

I think you're being incredibly generous. He was clearly personally decent, honest, etc but as a coach he was disastrous. His flaws were many but let me list some
- No genuine experience meant that instead of implementing ideas worked out and tested over time he was trying to learn international rugby management 'on the job'.
- Because of his lack of a proven track record he had no confidence in his own choices so constantly vacillated, changed tactics and selection. He did not know what would work so he was prone to panic.
- His teams never seemed to have any clear tactics.
- His lack.of confidence led to extremely conservative selection. He would rather have a 10 who could place kick and defend but nothing else than risk more flair. He played Barrit at 12 despite him having no attacking ability except leg pumping brute strength because he could tackle thus sacrificing the entire creativity of the back line for defence.
- He knew when appointed that he was building to the WC yet he had no consistency of selection, ever. He never knew his best 15 even just before. His WC squad was bonkers and collapsed into disaster once JJ was injured. He favoured Barrit at 12 and when forced by injuries to pick better, more creative centres he reverted back as soon as he could.
- He failed to win one 6N despite being in a position to win three. Inconsistent performances with one rubbish one each year cost England. For me the nadir was Cardiff where anything other than a car crash display was the 6N. He should have gone then.

His disastrously poor reign can be very easily contrasted to the impact of a quality coach on an international team. Schmidt, two seasons, two 6N. Ok his star is tarnished by the inexplicably dire effort against Argentina but both England and Ireland could have won the last two 6N and Ireland did. Cheika is even better evidence. Journos gushing over Australia this WC forget that when he came in they had lost 7 in a row and were a shambles. Nobody thought they had a chance in the WC group in NH conditions. He has won them the RC, brought in a coach who sorted their dire scrum and got to a WC final, albeit with only one genuinely good performance. Australia envied world beaters under Cheika, laughable failures before.

England have the resources and I'm sure the right man can make a huge difference. A consistent tactics and selection would be a good start.

It's been said before by others and I think myself. What was so bad about the Johnson era that pride had to instilled back into the shirt. It's not like the team were out there committing mass felony's.

Think too many people drank a bit too much from the tabloid cool aid.

Do people really think Lancaster had the last say in selection or that he wasn't 'pushed' to select specific players? That is like saying the people in government are the ones running the country - which I certainly believe is not correct.

36% Lancaster's win ratio against New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Wales and Ireland

Probably the biggest issue of them all with the arrogance hat on England should be aiming for 50% at the very least averaging over those 7 teams. Maybe just below on individual teams but overall we should winning more than are losing.

Do people really think Lancaster had the last say in selection or that he wasn't 'pushed' to select specific players? That is like saying the people in government are the ones running the country - which I certainly believe is not correct.

I have lost count of the amount of rumours and ***tle-tattle I've heard over the past couple of months. You read, you ask, you dig, there's an awful lot of info about online.

Barring a couple of wild rumours about Burgess, I've not heard anything to do with interference. There is no smoke, there is no heat, there are no burns; there may have been a fire but the odds are against it.

Yup the closest you hear about Lancaster not having the last say in selection is he probably differed to Farrell way too much.

Yup the closest you hear about Lancaster not having the last say in selection is he probably differed to Farrell way too much.

I can never understand how a head coach can be overruled as in the case of Luther Burrell.
Can you imagine Eddie Jones being overruled.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...is-the-man-to-put-England-back-on-course.html

SCW says Greenwood and a poll of possible 12 or so candidates has him out front with 22% of the vote (being nearly 30,000 votes for him)!!

DT are also reporting that "sources close to Tuilagi" are saying he would have difficulties playing for Lancaster again over the way his suspension was handled!

If that is the case then go jump in the harbour you little ****. Sorry you have done that already!!!

DT are also reporting that "sources close to Tuilagi" are saying he would have difficulties playing for Lancaster again over the way his suspension was handled!

If that is the case then go jump in the harbour you little ****. Sorry you have done that already!!!

In Manu's defence it was handled badly. He was injured and wasn't available but SL made a big song and dance about not selecting him. Bit of a cheap shot really.

I think the only person who can have legitimate gripe about about how suspensionshe were handled is Hartley. Dropped because he couldn't play any game up to and including Fiji only to watch Owen Farrell only play the B team game and brought in after Fiji. Which kind of make a mockery of the reasoning given.

In Manu's defence it was handled badly. He was injured and wasn't available but SL made a big song and dance about not selecting him. Bit of a cheap shot really.

Did he though or was it a simple question asked at a press conference about, in view of Hartley's suspension, would Tuilagi have played had he been fit and Lancaster just said no?

Media interpretation and sensationalizing it is far more likely than SL making a "song and dance" about it

Last edited:
Prob knowing a lot more than most of you on the Manu England thing I think England dos handle him extremely poorly behind the scenes.

Honest point here shouldn't he have spoken to Tualangi first before answering that question? By doing that the player finds out through the media. It's like your long term girlfriend breaking up with you through social media because you're a bit of a dick. Sure you probably deservend her breaking up with you but not so everyone else knows first.

Prob knowing a lot more than most of you on the Manu England thing I think England dos handle him extremely poorly behind the scenes.

Point taken from someone with likely loads more info on the truth than me!

I am happy to admit I am just probably anti Tuilagi at the moment as his worth as a savior of the England backs and his talent gets more and more hyped the longer he does not play!!!

Point taken from someone with likely loads more info on the truth than me!

I am happy to admit I am just probably anti Tuilagi at the moment as his worth as a savior of the England backs and his talent gets more and more hyped the longer he does not play!!!

Oh I don't think he is the saviour of English rugby.

If he can do a Nonu though.......

Oh I don't think he is the saviour of English rugby.

If he can do a Nonu though.......

That was not intended as a dig at you......!!

Wish this device did not use US English as its predictive text and spelt "savior" correctly!!!!

Would imagine they have kept Farrell, Catt etrc to maintain a bit of stability, but they will go when a new coach is appointed as he will want his own team, should Rob Andrew and Ian Ritchie go as well ?

Latest posts