TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Cape Town - Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer says he is happy with his new squad and confident the youngsters will step up to the plate.

Bulls centre Jan Serfontein is one of nine uncapped players in a much-changed Springbok squad for the four nations tournament against Italy, Scotland and Samoa starting next week.

The 20-year-old captained South Africa to the IRB Junior World Championship last year and, along with another inclusion from that side, loose-forward Pieter-Steph du Toit of the Sharks, is viewed as one of the bright young things of South African rugby.

"It's good to see Jan and Pieter-Steph make the step up from the junior levels. I've always rated them and they've shone this year for the Bulls and Sharks," Meyer told a press conference on Saturday night.

Among the other uncapped players, four have not been part of the national set-up before. They are the Cheetahs quartet of front-rowers Lourens Adriaanse and Trevor Nyakane, flank Lappies Labuschagne and winger Willie le Roux.

The other three remaining uncapped players are Stormers flanker Siya Kolisi and the Bulls pair of loose-forward Arno Botha and scrumhalf Jano Vermaak.

Meyer has also selected overseas-based scrumhalf Ruan Pienaar from Ulster and Bath flanker Francois Louw, but maintains he prefers to pick players plying their trade in South Africa.

"I have always said I want to pick the guys in South Africa first. Ruan and Francois are the only overseas we have considered for the moment," Meyer said.

"If there are injuries then we might have to look at more guys overseas and there are some quality guys there.

"I am very happy with this squad, there are a lot of youngsters coming through and you have to back them and the other guys playing in South Africa."

The Springboks open their Incoming Series against Italy in Durban next Saturday, before a meeting with Scotland in Nelspruit on June 15.

There will be a final round of matches in Pretoria on June 22, with the fixtures to be determined by results on the opening two weekends.

Springbok squad:

Forwards (19): Tendai Mtawarira, Lourens Adriaanse, Trevor Nyakane, Jannie du Plessis, Coenie Oosthuizen, Adriaan Strauss, Bismarck du Plessis, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Eben Etzebeth, Flip van der Merwe, Juandré Kruger, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Marcell Coetzee, Willem Alberts, Arno Botha, Lappies Labuschagne, Pierre Spies.

Backs (15): Jano Vermaak, Ruan Pienaar, Francois Hougaard, Pat Lambie, Morné Steyn, Jean de Villiers, Juan de Jongh, Jan Serfontein, JJ Engelbrecht, Bryan Habana, Lwazi Mvovo, Bjorn Basson, Gio Aplon, Zane Kirchner, Willie le Roux.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Meyer-I-back-the-youngsters-20130601

What a group!! I'm excited!!

Looks like a tidy squad with a good blend of youth and experience, but why is Heinrich Brussow not in it!?

Who knows?

Why is JJ Engelbrecht picked over Robert Ebersohn? Some decisions are just not right. Why pick 2 scrum-halves from the Bulls when the in-form scrum-half, Piet van Zyl, is left out? How can one justify picking a player who is a benchwarmer (Vermaak) over a player who plays week in, week out and delivers (van Zyl)? How can Kirchner still be in the squad? What about players who are on their way to Europe later this year (Steyn, Habana)? This summer Test tournament with teams Italy, Scotland and Samoa is the perfect opportunity to try new talented players like Catrakilis, Ebersohn, van Zyl and Herbst for instance. Yet, we will fall back on guys like Jannie du Plessis, Jean de Villiers and Morne Steyn. Give those guys a break. They are playing every game during Super Rugby and are being worn down this way.

I am happy though with the inclusion of Kolisi, le Roux, du Toit, Serfontein, Labuschagne and Adriaanse

Really happy to see we only rely on Francois Louw as a fetcher<_<

We have to pick Morne. Apart from Lambie, we don't have an in form experienced fly half. And Morne has justified his selection. He has been the best fly half in the Super Rugby tournament for SA.

With an already inexperienced backline, guys like Kirchner and Steyn and JDV will have to be picked while the youngsters grow into their roles as Boks. As for Vermaak, he is the better scrumhalf. And only benched the last 2 games for the Bulls. So i don't really know why there is criticism towards him.

As for Piet van Zyl, he should've been picked ahead of Pienaar.

There will always be guys who will miss out, and we have to live with that, how about we see what happens now.

I am just happy guys like PSdT, Serfontein, Arno Botha and Willie le Roux has got their chance.

Who knows?

Why is JJ Engelbrecht picked over Robert Ebersohn? Some decisions are just not right. Why pick 2 scrum-halves from the Bulls when the in-form scrum-half, Piet van Zyl, is left out? How can one justify picking a player who is a benchwarmer (Vermaak) over a player who plays week in, week out and delivers (van Zyl)? How can Kirchner still be in the squad? What about players who are on their way to Europe later this year (Steyn, Habana)? This summer Test tournament with teams Italy, Scotland and Samoa is the perfect opportunity to try new talented players like Catrakilis, Ebersohn, van Zyl and Herbst for instance. Yet, we will fall back on guys like Jannie du Plessis, Jean de Villiers and Morne Steyn. Give those guys a break. They are playing every game during Super Rugby and are being worn down this way.

I am happy though with the inclusion of Kolisi, le Roux, du Toit, Serfontein, Labuschagne and Adriaanse

This is the most bizzare thing for me. Robert Eberson has been probably the best 12 in the competition for me. Heaps of creativity and neat skill. No sense him not getting selected.

I hope to see le Roux starting for the Boks shortly - another guy with great awareness and creativity as well as a good amount of gas.

Will le Roux be able to play his usual role for the boks? Obviously he does a lot of playmaking for the Cheetahs but that's not really typical S.A. wing/fullback behaviour is it?

This is the most bizzare thing for me. Robert Eberson has been probably the best 12 in the competition for me. Heaps of creativity and neat skill. No sense him not getting selected.

I hope to see le Roux starting for the Boks shortly - another guy with great awareness and creativity as well as a good amount of gas.

Your first sentence is the conundrum. JJ is a 13/winger and robert is a 12. But with JDV and Serfontein getting the upper hand, Robert got overlooked. In last night's match, Serfontein was the better 12 over Ebersohn. And to be honest Serfontein has that extra x-factor the boks need in the 12 chamber...

Didn't Ebehrson play at 13 last season? And how has Jordaan been doing for the Sharks? And what happenned to Goosen?

Goosen's injured (again). Don't know about Jordaan but from what I've heard he hasn't been fulfilling his potential.

I'm not too happy about seeing Ruan Pienaar in the game, and I would've liked Heinrich Brussouw to be there. I'm guessing that HM is picking players like F.Louw and Pienaar because they are all playing NH competitions and our opponents are all from there.

Otherwise not too bad, chuffed to see the Cheetahs there! Hope Adriaan Strauss gets picked as our VC. He's my captain for the RWC 2015.

We'll see what happens during the 4N.

For the first time ever I am very close to 100% happy with the forwards. I'd have Brussow there ahead of Marcel Coetzee who I feel gets a quantity of work done but not as impactfull as Labuschagne and Botha IMO. Happy enough seeing that there is at least F Louw but a back-up fetcher would be nice, particularly one as experienced as Brussouw. Sure he hasn't been setting the pace like in 2009 but I can't think of him having a bad game for the Bokke and see him in the same light as Willem Alberts; not too flash for their provinces but a 'must have' for Bok rugby. I'd love to see a backrow of 6FLouw, 7Alberts, 8A Botha with Labuschagne on the bench. Pity Spies and Coetzee will probably be ahead in the pecking order/

Hookers and top 3 frontrowers pick themselves. Thought Nyakane deserves the call-up as a very industious prop who is solid at scrumtime. A bit surprised at Adriaanse's inclusion but can't fault it with Malherbe injured though I'd have prefered Herbst TBH. A bit of much over muchness thought as props # 4 and 5 probably wont get any time, not with so many newbies in other positions.

Locks are solid enough.

Pienaar? Off the pace if you ask me. I'd have had 1Vermaak, 2Van Zyl, 3Hougaard as utility. Catrakilis? I don't buy the hype and Jantjies doesn't suit the Stormers nor will he suit the Bokke. Too mercurial in any case IMO for test rugby. Steyn is in good form so let him take the reins with Lambie there to back up while Goosen is crocked.

I feel sorry for Ebersohn. Thought he might sneak in but at who's expense with JdV set to be captain. Happy for the others and hope all get a chance to show if they can take a step up.

And my goodness am I chuffed to see Le Roux make the cut. JPP and Taute out injured and Kirchner being Kirchner I really do hope he gets a shot. He certainly deserves it and off of his performances at 15 for the Griquas I am very excited! Him and a fit Taute should have a good competition for the 15 jersey.

What I'd like to see moving forward:

1 Mtawarira
2 Du Plessis
3 Du Plessis
4 Etzebeth
5 Kruger
6 Louw
7 Alberts
8 Botha
9 Vermaak
10 Steyn (Goosen when fit)
11 Habana (just for now)
12 JdV (just for this year still)
13 Serfontein
14 Engelbrecht (JJP when fit)
15 Le Roux

16 Strauss
17 Oosthuizen
18 Du Toit
19 Labuschagne
20 Hougaard
21 Lambie
22 Aplon (Taute when fit)

Would bring in Van Zyl, Ebersohn and Brussow but oh well, maybe later.

Who knows?

I think you know the answer but don't want to really say what you think due to possibility of stirring up a argument. You can also add why add a injured De Jongh. Also what has Bismarck do this year to warrant his selection?

For the first time ever I am very close to 100% happy with the forwards. I'd have Brussow there ahead of Marcel Coetzee who I feel gets a quantity of work done but not as impactfull as Labuschagne and Botha IMO. Happy enough seeing that there is at least F Louw but a back-up fetcher would be nice, particularly one as experienced as Brussouw. Sure he hasn't been setting the pace like in 2009 but I can't think of him having a bad game for the Bokke and see him in the same light as Willem Alberts; not too flash for their provinces but a 'must have' for Bok rugby. I'd love to see a backrow of 6FLouw, 7Alberts, 8A Botha with Labuschagne on the bench. Pity Spies and Coetzee will probably be ahead in the pecking order/

Hookers and top 3 frontrowers pick themselves. Thought Nyakane deserves the call-up as a very industious prop who is solid at scrumtime. A bit surprised at Adriaanse's inclusion but can't fault it with Malherbe injured though I'd have prefered Herbst TBH. A bit of much over muchness thought as props # 4 and 5 probably wont get any time, not with so many newbies in other positions.

Locks are solid enough.

Pienaar? Off the pace if you ask me. I'd have had 1Vermaak, 2Van Zyl, 3Hougaard as utility. Catrakilis? I don't buy the hype and Jantjies doesn't suit the Stormers nor will he suit the Bokke. Too mercurial in any case IMO for test rugby. Steyn is in good form so let him take the reins with Lambie there to back up while Goosen is crocked.

I feel sorry for Ebersohn. Thought he might sneak in but at who's expense with JdV set to be captain. Happy for the others and hope all get a chance to show if they can take a step up.

And my goodness am I chuffed to see Le Roux make the cut. JPP and Taute out injured and Kirchner being Kirchner I really do hope he gets a shot. He certainly deserves it and off of his performances at 15 for the Griquas I am very excited! Him and a fit Taute should have a good competition for the 15 jersey.

What I'd like to see moving forward:

1 Mtawarira
2 Du Plessis
3 Du Plessis
4 Etzebeth
5 Kruger
6 Louw
7 Alberts
8 Botha
9 Vermaak
10 Steyn (Goosen when fit)
11 Habana (just for now)
12 JdV (just for this year still)
13 Serfontein
14 Engelbrecht (JJP when fit)
15 Le Roux

16 Strauss
17 Oosthuizen
18 Du Toit
19 Labuschagne
20 Hougaard
21 Lambie
22 Aplon (Taute when fit)

Would bring in Van Zyl, Ebersohn and Brussow but oh well, maybe later.
Having a team sheet with the name Botha, Fourie and Alberts on it say sledgehammers and predictable all over it. I give you one clue how predictable we are with the sledgehammers. Argentina 16 South Africa 16

Will le Roux be able to play his usual role for the boks? Obviously he does a lot of playmaking for the Cheetahs but that's not really typical S.A. wing/fullback behaviour is it?

I don't know. Will he? ;)

I think you know the answer but don't want to really say what you think due to possibility of stirring up a argument. You can also add why add a injured De Jongh. Also what has Bismarck do this year to warrant his selection?

Doesn't it have something to do with him being signed by SARU? Aren't all SARU-signed players guaranteed a call-up when healty?

Having a team sheet with the name Botha, Fourie and Alberts on it say sledgehammers and predictable all over it. I give you one clue how predictable we are with the sledgehammers. Argentina 16 South Africa 16

I'm possibly very thick because I have no clue what your meaning is here?

Doesn't it have something to do with him being signed by SARU? Aren't all SARU-signed players guaranteed a call-up when healty?
This amswers the first part.
http://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/rugby/anc-slams-heyneke-boks-too-white.htm

I do not think the contract says that. Because that would mean you don't have to perform or worry about playing well nor any competition because you will be selected. Picking players just coming from injury or who is out of form was the downfall of many Bok coaches

I'm possibly very thick because I have no clue what your meaning is here?

South Africa sent a flat line of forward runners promoting themselves to receive the ball and a deep line of backs to get the ball behind the forwards.
Alberts and co standing off. Defense know they do just one thing. So they get gang tackled whole game

This made it too obvious which group was getting the ball, and allowed defenders to smash the forward runners or slide off on second-man plays to cut down backs or, at worst, end up pushing the outside backs to the sideline where the our wingers were always confronted with 2-3 Argentinian defenders.

International teams analyze the oppositions players to the finest detail. They know exactly what is going to happen with Alberts standing off or Botha or Fourie. They know exactly that Steyn stays deep and will blitz us and they know exactly he will pop it to the guy on his shoulder who is Spoes and they will nail him as well. In the end Habana is facing two or 3 defenders rather than one. Attacking should be a one on one contest. Playing with sledgehammers you are attacking and turning the contest into a 2 vs situation where the two fuys always going to win bringing you to ground. Your stats can say you made so xxx amount of meters but it doesn't say you were caught behind the advantage line 9 out of 10 times.

Other thing is NZ and Australia have a tactic where they drain our energy reserves first before they give us the ball. That is why you will alwyas see them running from set plays in their exit zone before launching their kick and chase team. We have bigger forwards and NZ and Australia know this. So they will take it up with set pieces first. That is why we run out of steam 90 percent of the time

Didn't Ebehrson play at 13 last season? And how has Jordaan been doing for the Sharks? And what happenned to Goosen?

If you don't follow the games, read up on it now and then and you would have read they have been injured for a few months already

Latest posts