• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

High Scoring Games

N

Nickdnz

Is it just me, or do the scores in S14 games this season, under the newly enforced rules, seem to be a little too high? I mean I love open and running rugby but this seems to really only allow high scoring games. It's good in one way, but are they really as competitive as they were last season. I don't expect to see another 3-6 win to any team this season. As Mite has said, this is like a basketball game, in which instead of an emphasis on just winning, there has become an attitude of out scoring, which is fine when defence is strong, but when the scores are consistanly in the 50's, there is a bit of a worry. Anyway, what does anyone else think?

It sure beats watching a game 3-6 with no trys and only penalty kicks. I can see where alot of people are coming from saying that the scores might be a bit too high but at least it's showing that the players are running the ball and not just trying to kick it everytime they get possession.

It shows that defences might not be up to scratch but at least the fans are being entertained by the players instead of being frustrated at the officials most of the time.

In terms of pure entertainment, these games, and the Super 14 in general, are miles ahead of anything else. What everyone enjoys is fast men searing through a gap, powerful men charging through a tackle, and skillful men unlocking a defence. You cannot sit through action like this without enjoying it. For whatever reasons, a lot of games in European rugby lack this.

However, there are different levels of enjoyment, based on intensity, tension, etc. I've watched a lot of Super 14 this past 2 weeks, and based on this plus what's gone on in other years, the intensity and tension levels are quite low. It's fun seeing a 50-30 scoreline, but there's no excitement in the last 20 mins when the teams are really tight. Plus, there is something admirable about seeing a fantastic defensive display, when teams really have to fight for every point they can get. And European rugby, especially in the Heineken Cup, will see closer and lower scorelines frequently as a result.

Lions vs Chiefs was ananomaly, and I don't expect results like that every week. But high scorelines (50+ points in a game) aren't uncommon. This is part of the style of rugby played by the SH countries. What's great is that one sport is so diverse that its two premier club competitions are both so consistently entertaining even if they're completely different in style.

i'm all for it, last Super 14 season was so boring i stopped watching, but this season its finally gotten interesting again.

I like these kinds of games as well, especially as I have to figure out the The timetable due to the different timezones. So I prefer to watch exciting games with lots of action, tries etc....

Maybe it has to do with the upcoming WC as well, players wanting to prove themselves. But it's never a bad thing when teams want to give themselves 100%, even when it results in pretty high scores. On the other hand they could invest some practice in their defense. Altho as long as they keep on winning I don't see them doing that.

I have not watched any Super14 match so far, I was very busy and with the 6N ongoing my Rugby quota for the week-end is already full.

Having said that I am curious to see why so high scores are made possible. Super14 has always showed higher scores than Test Rugby, including 3N.

It could be that they have adjusted the rules to much in one direction. There have also been some tight games Blues v Highlanders 20 to 16 i think. its great to watch but there are some questions about the defence. the drivingforce behind this are the Australians rugby union as they are losing viewers to Rugby League. I am a big fan of this type of rugby I think it helps create fluid players with an understanding of the running game and the use of space. In some cases the results are due to the disparities between the very good teams and the less talented teams. When the good teams are hot they just cant stop running tries, entertainment is the order of the day. It would be nice to see it up here in the Northern Hemisphere but I dont think its gong to happen any time soon, its much more regimented. Broken play ability seems to have a lot to do with it as well, lots of the southern hemisphere players are excellent in broken place and make best use of it. It is great to watch just a long as it doesnt turn into rugby league.

Latest posts