• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highfeld XV v Lions

A

An Tarbh

So the Lions have arrived in South Africa and their first tour game will be soon upon us.

So what side are we likely to see from the Lions, given the players who played this weekend are unlikely to play a part?

What will the level of the opposition be like first up as well?

The Royal XV (AKA Highveld XV) will be made up of players from the Griquas, the Leopards, Griffons, Valke, Pumas and perhaps Blue Bulls.

The Griquashave 13 players in the team,(which is greatly thanks to their Vodacom Cup victory i think.) but no one to really look out for. Riaan Viljoen is pretty good, and had some solid performances in the domestic competition this year.

The Leopards have 10 representatives, and the Pumas have 4. also include. Neither the Griffons nor the Valke, the two other major sides in the union, have players in the squad.

Royal XV squad to face the Lions on May 30

Russell Jeacocks (Leopards), Colin Lloyd (Leopards), Egon Seconds (Griquas), Bjorn Basson (Griquas), Deon van Rensburg (Leopards), Basil de Doncker (Leopards), Hanno Coetzee (Griquas) Riaan Viljoen (Griquas), Naas Olivier (Griquas), Michael Bondesio (Leopards), Jacques Coetzee (Pumas), Sarel Pretorius (Griquas), Jonathan Makoena (Griquas), RW Kember (Leopards) Devon Raubenheimer (Griquas), Wilhelm Koch (Leopards), Jaco Bouwer (Pumas), Ligtoring Landman (Leopards), Rudi Mathee (Leopards), Jacques Lombard (Griquas), Bees Roux (Griquas) Rayno Barnes (Griquas), Hannes Franklin (Pumas), Pellow van der Westhuizen (Leopards) Albertus Buckle (Griquas), Dawie Steyn (Pumas), Stef Roberts (Griquas)

No real spectacular talents there, but it is a fantastic opportunity for these players to be involved in a historic event such as this one.

That's pretty much it. They are a very weak team, and i reckon even a second Lions team could whack 60 or 70 on these guys. Anyway, The match is being played in Rustenburg at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium. The Springboks have only ever played there once, and managed to beat the All Blacks at the venue. The stadium is pretty much finished with renovations that were being done in order to be 2010 ready. It's extremely hot there, although winter conditions should make it a good playing field.

Kick-off is @ 15:00 CAT on Saturday May 30.

Here are some interesting facts about the city:

- Rustenburg is one of the host cities of the 2010 Football World Cup with the 40 000 seat Royal Bafokeng Stadium.
- Rustenburg is also reported to be the fastest growing city in South Africa
- Rustenburg is home to the two largest platinum mines in the world and the world's largest platinum refinery, PMR (Precious Metal Refiners), which processes around 70% of the world's platinum.

It's really just a game for everyone to get into the whole series (and for us to sum up your boys!). I will provide info on all the teams and venues as soon as i can get info, and post some interesting stuff about the venues in the respective threads.

3.jpg

Id expect the side to look something like this:

15: Byrne
14: Bowe
13: Earls
12: Flutey
11: Williams
10: Jones
9: Blair
8: Powell
7: Worsley
6: Ferris
5: Oconnel
4: Ocallaghan or AWJ
3: Hopefully Jones but probably Vickery
2: Mears or Ford
1: Jenkins

Was thinking this over last night, reckon they are going to go with established partnerships wherever they can for this first game.

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. Jones
4. DOC
5. POC
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Powell
9. Phillips
10. Jones
11. Williams
12. Flutey
13. Earls
14. Bowe
15. Byrne

I'd agree, he won't mix it too much for the first game.

15.Lee Byrne
14.Tommy Bowe
11. Shane Williams

13. Keith Earls
12. Jamie Roberts

10. Stephen Jones
9. Mike Phillips

8. Powell
7. Williams
6. Ferris

4. DOC
5. POC

3. Adam Jones
2. Matthew Rees
1. Gethin Jenkins

6. Ferris
7. Williams
8. Wallace

Will be the back row selection hopefully, agree with all the other selections. Hope it will go well, don't know what to expect really.

I was born in Rustenburg, yay!
**** place actually...

Another interesting fact is that the Royal Bafokeng was built for the 95 RWC.

I enjoy teasing and testing our *British members but if I were I Lions fan I'd look at this game as a glorified training session with no tackle bags. No really.
I'm expecting a 40-50 point victory by a Lions team taking it slow and using all of their subs by the 50th minute.

EDIT: *British & Irish

FURTHER EDIT: *British, Irish & Welsh :huh:

Well your map defies every lesson of geography I've been taught.

I blame North Korea.

Isn't Wales part of the British anyway ?

thus, just the British and Irish lions rather than, the British, Irish and Welsh Lions.

also, yay for the tour starting :D
Kind of more excited for the Springboks vs Namibia XV though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ May 26 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Isn't Wales part of the British anyway ?

thus, just the British and Irish lions rather than, the British, Irish and Welsh Lions.

also, yay for the tour starting :D
Kind of more excited for the Springboks vs Namibia XV though.[/b]
It Should British, Irish, Welsh and Scottish Lions....

**** off the lot of you.

Just call them the Lions and save us all weeks of time.

I'm saying I can understand British and Irish Lions as Ireland (apart from Northern Ireland) is a sovereign nation on its own, whilst Wales, Scotland and England are all part of the United Kingdom (thus British).

We just call them the Lions anyway, British and Irish as a prefix is just too long to say every time :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ May 26 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When's the team being announced for this?[/b]
this is the last thing that made any sense in this thread they name it on thursday. 30th may is looking like a great day. Murrayfield sevens, top14 semis, super 14 final and The Lions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ May 26 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ May 26 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When's the team being announced for this?[/b]
this is the last thing that made any sense in this thread they name it on thursday. 30th may is looking like a great day. Murrayfield sevens, top14 semis, super 14 final and The Lions.
[/b][/quote]

Canada v Wales on BBC 2W too :D pretty damn good day too, I think the FA Cup Final is on as well.

Latest posts