• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highfeld XV v Lions

The Highveld boys can feel really good about what they did today, everyone expected them to lose by 80 points.

Very flattering scoreline. There were some flashes of good stuff in the game but mostly was apalling.

Taking nothing away from the Royals, they played really well, particularly in the first half, but the most handling errors in a rugby match ever from the Lions did them a favour.

Overall im relieved its over, hoping they'l have settled a bit better for the midweek game.

Meh, got frightening for a second but Byrne proved what a gamebreaker he is. Kearney has massive boots to fill in the next test (when is that, btw?)

Not the best start, but at least we know they can cope under extreme pressure. Plus if you add all the tries that were missed due to handling errors/Flutey's lack of vision then it would have been around 50 points. Don't forget they've not been together for that long...

Yeah these games are always lose lose. If ya win by alot it's expected and if ya don't everyone says how terribly you played. O'Gara, Bowe and Byrne were good. Shane Williams continues to play his way off the test team and POC still ain't convinced me as a captain.

A win for Lions then, just sounds like we avoided an embarassing loss due to fitness or something in the last 10 when we took the chances. Feel sorry for Royal XV, they had Lions in their pocket at times it seems, but ran out of gas while Lions padded out the score. A good win for Lions, but they will need a 500% improvement for the next game.

The good news is that they can't get any worse lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ May 30 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah these games are always lose lose. If ya win by alot it's expected and if ya don't everyone says how terribly you played. O'Gara, Bowe and Byrne were good. Shane Williams continues to play his way off the test team and POC still ain't convinced me as a captain.[/b]

O'Gara? eh?

He was woeful at times today.

Made his kicks, got a try, had a lovely tackle or two which was a surprise and unlike most of the backs didn't drop the ball every time he got it

Well well well, Royal XV were brilliant in my opinion, from everybody talking them down to a 50 point loss to almost beating the Lions, wow.

Sarel is a really feisty scrumhalf, was a big thorn in the lions side, apart from the lions themselves obviously.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ May 30 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah these games are always lose lose. If ya win by alot it's expected and if ya don't everyone says how terribly you played. O'Gara, Bowe and Byrne were good. Shane Williams continues to play his way off the test team and POC still ain't convinced me as a captain.[/b]

definite chance for Monye or Fitzgerald to stake a claim although given the lack of options at 12 Fiztgerald could well be given a run there at some stage.

O'Connell's decision making looked shaky in the first half but thought his calls were fine in the second half, poor handling errors let them down though.

Byrne and Bowe looked nailed on for the test side at the moment, O'Gara was solid and his place kicking was excellent but we're not exactly stack full of class options at 10.

Blair looked well short despite a good 10 minute spell in the second half but it'd be hard to see him in the test side come 3 weeks.

Earls looks like nothing more than a dirttracker player unfortunately for him.

Maul did look a decent weapon and with the pack being strengthened ahead of the test series that could be a promising attacking option.

ROG was good. And it's great to have a full back you don't have to worry about, who then turns defence in to attack. Handling errors are part of the prep, although it was looking veeery hairy for Earls in the first half. No one outstanding in the pack.

The real worries were turnover in tackle and on ground, and the try they scored through the maul. Mind you, the Lions mauling in defence and attack picked up a lot by the end.

Disappointing =/ - Exciting game to watch though, i really wasn't expecting the lions to come back, don't think they really deserved the win tbh, royal xv but up a very decent figh
Last 10-15minutes was good though, and good use of the maul as well. Disappointing to see so many knockons though
I think Flutey should have come on for earls at 40mins though, not 60ish, despite dropping the ball on that run, he made some cracking breaks, imo

I was wondering wtf is the Royal XV thanks for the explanation. :) The stadium looked half empty if that but when you have a team that has every expectation to have 60-70 points put past them then you can't blame them.I think the highfeld boys did well and nearly got a huge scalp.

I felt bad for Earls but he really needs to pick it up even though he is the youngest player. Was also disappointed with Blair's performance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ May 30 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was wondering wtf is the Royal XV thanks for the explanation. :) The stadium looked half empty if that but when you have a team that has every expectation to have 60-70 points put past them then you can't blame them.I think the highfeld boys did well and nearly got a huge scalp.[/b]

that and the fact that the Super 14 Final was taking place shortly after the match was over and not a million miles away in fairness.

Well if the Boks were going to get over confident, that performance certainly sorted out that ............. eh ........... I think not.

Brutal from start to finish. No excuses, just plain poor all round.

Byrne at full back certainly looked the part, and Roberts had some moments but aside from that they can take absolutely nothing from it. A lesson learned maybe, but thats about it.

Backrow looked about 2 yards off the pace. That would be my biggest concern.

I'm hoping the second 15 step up on Wednesday, otherwise its going to be a long summer for the lot of em.

Echoes of the last Lions tour .......

Can anyone tell me where I can see the highlights of todays game online for free...even on a sports report.....cant find it anywhere

poor start for the lions which isn't helped by teh fact that the Bulls smashed their way to the Super 14 final. Expecting the majority of the South African starting lineup to come from that squad who looked like they could beat the lions themselves.

Latest posts