• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders v Force

B

BLR

How do you guys think this game will turn out?

It's being played in the picturesque Queenstown with the Force playing the Highlanders who they have never beaten in thier existence, always being pipped by a few points. So far this season the Highlanders have, despite losing every game, kept in close proximity to thier opposition and this could prove a problem for the Force.

In South Africa the Lions and the Cheetahs seemed to neuter the Forces attack through thier defence which could bode well for the Highlanders as in thier four games they have let through 69 points. I think that if the Highlanders tackle well and put a good knock on Giteau (like in one of the games in the Republic where he suffered a big knock and really never recovered) I can see them perhaps pulling of a major upset.

Pek Cowan is replacing Troy Takiari in the front row for the Force and if he continues his work from last week against the Blues should bring in some much needed aggressiveness into the Force pack. Scott Fava has been relegated to the bench in favour of Tamaiti Horua who has already scored two tries this season, in about two or three games that he has played in. Finally Chris O'Young has pulled out of the game with a shoulder injury so he will be replaced by James Stannard. Stannard has played well in his first season but last week made a few wrong decisions and needs to cool down and take it easy if he is to be effective.

On the Highlanders side of the fence they should be well rested from thier bye week and ready to stop any momentum the Force has built up.

I tip the Force to win in a close one, but am quietly hoping thier backs fire and a large win is on the cards. I am raised in WA by parents from Dunedin so this is the game of the season for me and the various Otago and Southland family members over here are gathering tommorrow to watch the big game.

The Teams are the following:

Western Force: Cameron Shepherd, Scott Staniforth, Ryan Cross, Lachlan MacKay, Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Chris O'Young(withdrawn), Richard Brown, David Pocock, Tamaiti Horua, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Tom Hockings, AJ Whalley, Tai McIsaac, Pek Cowan. Res: Luke Holmes, Troy Takiari, Sam Wykes, Scott Fava, James Stannard, Scott Daruda, Nick Cummins

Highlanders: James Wilson, Paul Williams, Niva Taauso, Aaron Bancroft, Fetuu Vainikolo, Daniel Bowden, Jimmy Cowan, Steven Setephano, Tim Boys, Craig Newby (capt), Tom Donnelly, Hoani MacDonald, Chris King, Jason Macdonald, Jamie Mackintosh. Res: David Hall, Keith Cameron, Hayden Triggs, Adam Thomson, Toby Morland, Mike Delany, Brett Mather

17-13 Half time, Despite the score line I think the Force has shown alot more attack and should win this comfortably once the Highlanders defence tires in the second half....

Also what is with Murray Mexted today, there wasn't a moment of silence in that half as he was going on and on and on and on....someone needs to test him for drugs or something...

What a start from the Highlanders!! Looking really good actually. When they run the ball they look really dangerous. Great game so far.

Aw man Poor Highlanders didn't even get a bonus points for their efforts! Thought they could've held on their lead. Ill discipline at the end cost them

It was, to me, however was a great game to watch! down to the wire type stuff.

The Force really didn't fire in that second half, they should have taken off McKay, brought on Cummins and moved Staniforth to inside centre....the Highlanders supporters over at my joint left straight after the game, one with a renewed hate for Ryan Cross.

The Staniforth try and the Stannard penalty that should have been a try if the penalty hadn't occured would have given me a good reason to say 'we wuz robbed!' if we had lost that game. :p

Anyone know what the crowd figure was?

Filthy decision by the ref, absolute filth. I know it didn't cost them the game but still.. poor decision.

Filthy decision by the ref, absolute filth. I know it didn't cost them the game but still.. poor decision.
[/b]
Welcome to the Western Force, the referees most hated team, judging by the decisions we get :D

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Welcome to the Western Force, the referees most hated team, judging by the decisions we get :D
[/b][/quote]

:lol: Im sure thats not selective memory...

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

:lol: Im sure thats not selective memory...
[/b][/quote]

Actually I got the impression that the Brumbies were the referees' most hated team. Oh well...

I think the Force are looking the pick of the Aussie teams this year. Giteau is having a blinding start to the season and has all but sewn the Wallabies first five position up. Cross is starting to really take off to and is showing some very good confidence which has changed his game for the better.

highlanders just aren't the same this yea without their star all black front row and nick evans. force looking pretty good this year and the pick of the aussie teeams

Latest posts